JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#51 (permalink))
Old
IamKira (Offline)
Sulfer + KClO3 + Cu(1)Cl

10-26-2009, 10:11 PM

that is true... i have had to google soo much to figure out some of the command line stuff. however the information provided when i googled is just so convoluted.. i have a grub iso file and i will burn it to a cd using an iso burn tool, but it is still not clear whether i'd have to do some, well, let's call it patching, or if it will be clear cut insert disk and mount sort of deal

IamKira
(#52 (permalink))
Old
TitansWrath (Offline)
New to JF

10-26-2009, 10:18 PM

hmm? When i was typing my last post i also googled to see if i could find it easy and in 3rd hit there was a guide on using your ubuntu livecd to put in grub and I figured it would have been better not to waste another CD-R when u could just reuse the same one u used to put in ubuntu unless u tossed it away. lol
(#53 (permalink))
Old
Encyclopod (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Encyclopod
10-27-2009, 12:29 AM

You don't need the grub cd to fix it, you can do it with a linux live cd as TitansWrath said.

I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
(#54 (permalink))
Old
Emmi (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Emmi Send a message via Skype™ to Emmi
10-28-2009, 12:53 AM

Dualboot WinXP & Ubuntu 8.04, I like Linux but still can't let go of Windows.
(#55 (permalink))
Old
IamKira (Offline)
Sulfer + KClO3 + Cu(1)Cl

10-28-2009, 03:13 AM

so who's upgrading to Karmic w/ me on thursday?
i'm going to try an uprgrade, but probably download and burn first so i can fresh install if it doesn't work...
last kernel update gave me some issues.. i had to boot in repair mode to fix it.

IamKira
(#56 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-28-2009, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamKira View Post
i'm going to try an uprgrade, but probably download and burn first so i can fresh install if it doesn't work...
last kernel update gave me some issues.. i had to boot in repair mode to fix it.
I'm going to buy a CD because my current distro (Sabayon Linux 4.2) has some problems. Ultimately I'm going to dual-boot two linux distros for separate purposes.

I'm still having doubts on KDE as usual (sorry).

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.
(#57 (permalink))
Old
Encyclopod (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Encyclopod
10-28-2009, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamKira View Post
Gonna try it out on a VM for at least a week before I take the plunge.

I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
(#58 (permalink))
Old
smbx33 (Offline)
90's ジングル

10-28-2009, 05:37 AM

Actually the only people who claim that vista is a resource hog, I find to be people with crappy computers, with the bare minimum needed to run vista. I recommend people get better hardware before they start complaining bout the software.

The speed between vista and xp arent that far apart when you have more than 2 gigs of ram. But that doesnt matter much anymore since windows 7 is better than both of them :P

Windows FTW.

As a side note:
I <3 linux, I have a couple of live cds like Backtrack, Helix,Penguin Sleuth. As well as distros like Redhat and Fedora.
(#59 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
10-28-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbx33 View Post
Actually the only people who claim that vista is a resource hog, I find to be people with crappy computers, with the bare minimum needed to run vista. I recommend people get better hardware before they start complaining bout the software.

The speed between vista and xp arent that far apart when you have more than 2 gigs of ram. But that doesnt matter much anymore since windows 7 is better than both of them :P
With 2 Gigs, XP is far faster.You need 3 or 4 Gigs to have normal computers. Games nowadays need a lot of RAM, and on all games I've seen, the minimum requirements have 1GB more than their XP counterpart.

And you just contradicted yourself. Any idea what 'resource hog' means? Vista is a little bit better now on SP2, but at the start it was absolutely horrible. I don't need to buy new hardware for each OS everytime, nobody set that rule. You can see Windows 7 needs less powerful software and that's the way to go.

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#60 (permalink))
Old
Macresco (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Macresco
10-28-2009, 05:03 PM

Windows XP.

The reasons for this is because it was forced upon me by my father. Well, not forced but it's what I basically got used to using and now I feel it's the best operating system on the market. It's so easy to use and doesn't use up precious RAM like the hog Vista is.

I'm tempting to upgrade to Windows 7 when I buy my new laptop though.. Should be interesting. -shiver-