Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

08-01-2008, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveV View Post
2 months is ridiculous.
We'd lose members.
We'd lose trolls and spammers, you mean?

なんでやねん!
(#42 (permalink))
Old
Tyrien (Offline)
I'm e-vincible.

08-01-2008, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henbaka View Post
Forgot JF would ignore seasoned members who happen to not take things seriously or go to far.

Tyrien.DeviantArt~
As of 08/11/2008 5:33 PM Eastern Standard time I now officially own:
Miyavi, Kyo, Yuusuke, Maya, Gou, Aki, Aoi, Jun, Yusa, Jui, Key, Heechul, Yesung, Riku, Kei, Jyou, Satoshi, Takeru, Sin, Teddyloid, ♀Yooh♂, Reo, Tomoya, Tatsuro, Hitsugi, Kyoharu, Takanori Nishikawa, Jay Chou, Hirokai, Die, Kaoru, Shinya, and Toshiya.
(#43 (permalink))
Old
EveV (Offline)
Flee from hate.

Send a message via MSN to EveV Send a message via Yahoo to EveV
08-01-2008, 01:20 AM

Quote:
It's not just spammers and trolls that act stupid on that type of forum.
Just about anyone can.
There's plenty of supposed " smart" members on here who've slipped.
And I don't want to lose them.

If I got banned for two months I certainly wouldn't come back.
I'd lose interest in the forum in that long of a time.

"The sky is cryin...
Can't you see the tears roll down the street?"
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
(#44 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
08-01-2008, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFromCanada View Post
Um, the main forum I use, which isn't this forum is hell compared to this one. This one is is so soft and feathery and no one posts personal information. There are no arguments and everyone is so lovey dovey. At least at this place you can have talk about relationships and other things.

This is a nice forum I think. You can talk about regular things here.
Though JF is usually well moderated, congratulations on having missed some of the persistent pissing contests among some of the regular juveniles and some of the threads drowning in continual drivel with no susbstance beyond fawning on each other. There is a reason I no longer read anything in certain categories.

Hopefully a serious section's moderator would also slow down those who continually post nothing more than idle comments with no bearing on the subject.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#45 (permalink))
Old
gravelgill (Offline)
jf blade dancer

08-01-2008, 03:00 AM

it would give everyone from different areas a chance to know each other a bit more.

january 10th,meditation for the day
have you FELT the sun today?
(#46 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

08-01-2008, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
Though JF is usually well moderated, congratulations on having missed some of the persistent pissing contests among some of the regular juveniles and some of the threads drowning in continual drivel with no susbstance beyond fawning on each other. There is a reason I no longer read anything in certain categories.

Hopefully a serious section's moderator would also slow down those who continually post nothing more than idle comments with no bearing on the subject.
I'm sorry but, well moderated? Are there any moderators? I don't mean to sound harsh but... I have yet to see a spammer/troll thread get closed down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveV
It's not just spammers and trolls that act stupid on that type of forum.
Just about anyone can.
There's plenty of supposed " smart" members on here who've slipped.
And I don't want to lose them.

If I got banned for two months I certainly wouldn't come back.
I'd lose interest in the forum in that long of a time.
Yeah well... I assumed anyone being a part of the forum for long would be careful enough to read the rules if it said right by them "Break these rules and you're banned".

The fact that just anybody _can_ break rules doesn't mean they should or would. But sure, throw in a warning even, so its warning - temp ban - perm ban. If you act like a asshole/bitch three times on a forum that specifically says "FOR SERIOUS CONVERSATION", then well... I think you should be banned.

なんでやねん!
(#47 (permalink))
Old
rina26 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-01-2008, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Yeah well... I assumed anyone being a part of the forum for long would be careful enough to read the rules if it said right by them "Break these rules and you're banned".

The fact that just anybody _can_ break rules doesn't mean they should or would. But sure, throw in a warning even, so its warning - temp ban - perm ban. If you act like a asshole/bitch three times on a forum that specifically says "FOR SERIOUS CONVERSATION", then well... I think you should be banned.
But even the "mature", rule abiding person will get carried away once in a while. Especially if the topic is something they feel passionately about. For example, a thread about abortion, animal cruelty, whether spanking is child abuse or discipline. If someone makes an obvious ignorant remark, someone who is otherwise level headed will lose their cool momentarily. Sure, if they break a rule, punish them but a month is a bit harsh in that situation. No point losing a member over that.
(#48 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

08-01-2008, 07:10 AM

yeah but I never said to ban anyone for getting 'carried away'. I said trolling and spamming. A moderator could warn people for minor infractions like that. But moderators would be needed...

なんでやねん!
(#49 (permalink))
Old
Alkindus (Offline)
JF Regular

08-01-2008, 01:18 PM

If you consider this thread to be a serious discussion thread(in the sense that spammers didn´t ruin this thread and people still seem to talk ontopic)....why even have such a subforum with all the things that come with it? things seem to go allright now....
(#50 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

08-03-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry but, well moderated? Are there any moderators? I don't mean to sound harsh but... I have yet to see a spammer/troll thread get closed down.
That's why I said, this isn't for now, this is for the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastFortnight View Post
1000 posts? I think it will make some people post anything just to raise their post counting, it will increase the chance of stupid posts and I think the more serious the discussion gets, the higher is the chance for a flame to begin.

Also, many of the flames began because of mature members with more than 2000 posts, if you want I can PM the names of these people to you, I know who they are.

The worst fault of the newbies is that they post unnecessary threads, rather than using the already existing ones, but I seldom see a newcomer engage in such arguments...
Hopefully the ones who are interested in the Serious Discussion thread will not be the same type of person that will endlessly spam just to get there.

In any case, 1000 posts does seem a bit harsh as the majority has pretty much agreed. A better solution would be that a) The thread is moderated well and b) There is some sort of PM needing to be sent to be accepted - for example, just a heads up you are going to be active, active responsibly and a reason for wanting to post in Serious Discussion - much like being moving into a group or clan.

Last edited by MissMisa : 08-03-2008 at 11:55 AM.