JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
McCain's Speech - 09-05-2008, 03:15 AM

Since MMM did the thread for Obama, might as well have one for McCain too. What did you all think of it, for those who watched?

IMO, it was a decent speech. I liked it, just like I liked Obama's, especially since McCain said quite a few things that Obama seemed to mention in his campaign as well. No mudslinging and such, not like Palin's speech.

So...discuss away.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-05-2008, 03:35 AM

It was very good cop to Palin's bad cop. Palin's speech made me angry because 1) there were so many lies in it and 2) there were so many cheap-shots.

It was clear her speech was meant to fire up the right-wing base, and I am sure it did that. It is too bad it takes so much negativity and mud-slinging to do that, but I guess it doesn't surprise me.

I thought McCain's speech was much more dignified, but he really didn't say anything. He was obviously speaking to appeal to the undecided voters, which is a good strategy, but it is hard to make a "kick the bums out" speech when you have been a part of the Washington-system for over a quarter-century.

Targeting both Republicans and Democrats is the only way to do that...but he was sitting in a room of very dedicated Republicans, so the cheers felt a little forced.

And McCain is not a good orator. He needs to read his speech once or twice before he gives it. He has about three "patterns" of sentence delivery, and none of them are nearly as striking as Obama's.

So overall I would say McCain's speech wasn't very controversial, but also not very inspiring.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Yuna7780 (Offline)
I'm Missh Yuna! ♥

09-05-2008, 03:52 AM

Sadly, I didn't get to watch his speech tonight. I was really looking forward to it, but I had to do stuff all night.

Though, I watched Palin last night, and I thought she was amazing. She has strong spirit and her influences can help America.

Thanks for reading!
~Yuna7780
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-05-2008, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuna7780 View Post
Sadly, I didn't get to watch his speech tonight. I was really looking forward to it, but I had to do stuff all night.

Though, I watched Palin last night, and I thought she was amazing. She has strong spirit and her influences can help America.
My problem with Palin's was it was so condescending, petty and insulting.

She is a good speaker, and is comfortable in front of a microphone, that was clear (she was a beauty queen and announcer, so that isn't surprising), but there was very little positive or inspirational. I think she went a little far in her petty attacks on Obama, and that may come back to sting her.

She is a typical mom...well, not really...but even if she were, do you want a typical mom running your country? I would hope for something a little more.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Tyrien (Offline)
I'm e-vincible.

09-05-2008, 04:37 AM

Though I didn't hear Mcain's speech... I'm against him because he's against Net Neutrality (actually I saw an article about how he apparently doesn't even know how to use a computer, and thus doesn't care about them). Which uh... net neutrality is a freedom America, or the world can NOT afford to give up.

Tyrien.DeviantArt~
As of 08/11/2008 5:33 PM Eastern Standard time I now officially own:
Miyavi, Kyo, Yuusuke, Maya, Gou, Aki, Aoi, Jun, Yusa, Jui, Key, Heechul, Yesung, Riku, Kei, Jyou, Satoshi, Takeru, Sin, Teddyloid, ♀Yooh♂, Reo, Tomoya, Tatsuro, Hitsugi, Kyoharu, Takanori Nishikawa, Jay Chou, Hirokai, Die, Kaoru, Shinya, and Toshiya.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
09-05-2008, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
My problem with Palin's was it was so condescending, petty and insulting.
I whole-heartedly agree with this. She was just downright insulting towards Obama. I watched Biden's speech in comparison, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. No potshots and such the way Palin was. She even made that rude statement about how being a governor is like being a community organizer (or whatever it was), only with actual responsibilities. She said some other crazy things too, like criticizing the stage that Obama gave his speech on, and yet, she has a huge screen with Mt. Rushmore and the Liberty Bell in the background. The whole the speech was just pointless to me. Biden, Obama, and McCain's speeches were actually worth listening to, imo.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-05-2008, 07:43 AM

Sarah Palin hit a grand slam with her speech. It was powerful yet funny, emotional yet also had some policy details, especially on energy, and she related her story and her goals with heart and conviction. Yeah, she took a few swipes at Obama, but after the incredible number of attacks she and her family (especially her eldest daughter and newborn son) suffered at the hands of Democrats and the media for the past week, I thought she was remarkably restrained. Don't they know that nothing riles up a mother worse than attacking her children? If Obama can't take a few jabs from Gov Palin, then he certainly isn't ready for the Presidency...

McCain's speech tonight was different, though even more moving and powerful in it's own way. Here is a man who has dedicated his entire life to his country. He's a true American hero. And his wife Cindy has done the same thing, forming organizations to help send doctors to 3rd world countries, teaching special ed kids, and more.

THESE are the kind of people we need leading America. The stark contrast between them and the ego, greed, and self-centered, self-important, America-hating, me-me-me attitude of the Obamas could not be any greater. I think a line from Gov Palin's speech sums it up best:

“There are some candidates who use change to promote their careers,” she said. “Then there are those, like John McCain, who use their careers to promote change.”

That is really the absolute best characterizations of the main difference between the 2 candidates I have ever heard.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#8 (permalink))
Old
theAlphaDuck (Offline)
Banned

09-05-2008, 08:17 AM

hmmmm obama...mcain....

the problem i would say is that they are BOTH sitting in the same political boat.... they are both center...mcain leaning slightly to the right, bama slightly to the left

its worth noting that elections are all shams anyway,

do you really think it makes a difference who wins??

look at clinton for example...great democratic president....

still started wars etc.

there has NEVER been an american president who did not deploy the army in a foreighn country....

obama, mcain.....different flavours....SAME BRAND
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-05-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
MMM, can you tell me what Palin said that you think was insulting and cheap shots. I did not see this one because am out in the country side with my wife.
1)

I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a "community organizer," except that you have actual responsibilities. I might add that in small towns, we don't quite know what to make of a candidate who lavishes praise on working people when they are listening, and then talks about how bitterly they cling to their religion and guns when those people aren't listening.

Get ready for this statement to sting her.

2)

I told the Congress "thanks, but no thanks," for that Bridge to Nowhere.

Except that she requested that Bridge to Nowhere until it became an obvious embarrassment

3)"Our opponents say, again and again, that drilling will not solve all of America's energy problems — as if we all didn't know that already.

But the fact that drilling won't solve every problem is no excuse to do nothing at all."

Again...bullshit...the McCain camp wants to drill now and ask questions later and McCain wants to drill Alaska land when Palin has always been against it, and still is. Drill, baby, drill...but not in MY state. Palin has made that opinion clear.

"This is a man who can give an entire speech about the wars America is fighting and never use the word "victory" except when he's talking about his own campaign. But when the cloud of rhetoric has passed ... when the roar of the crowd fades away ... when the stadium lights go out, and those Styrofoam Greek columns are hauled back to some studio lot — what exactly is our opponent's plan? What does he actually seek to accomplish, after he's done turning back the waters and healing the planet? The answer is to make government bigger ... take more of your money ... give you more orders from Washington ... and to reduce the strength of America in a dangerous world. America needs more energy ... our opponent is against producing it. "

The answer to your question is all here. And it is all bullshit.

Sarah Palin is Chicken Little.

I hope America does not fall for her.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-05-2008, 08:36 AM

“There are some candidates who use change to promote their careers,” she said. “Then there are those, like John McCain, who use their careers to promote change.”

That is really the absolute best characterizations of the main difference between the 2 candidates I have ever heard.
---------------
Really? That's a LINE.

In 26 years in Washington, please explain how McCain has used his career to promote change.

Last edited by MMM : 09-06-2008 at 02:54 AM.