JapanForum.com  


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
quixote73 (Offline)
New to JF
 
Posts: 19
Join Date: Sep 2008
"White anti-feminist men in Japan" - 09-12-2008, 04:40 AM

I thought folks here might be interested in this blog post:

steve_s: White anti-feminist men in Japan

It's quite provocative and certainly should generate some interesting discussion!
Reply With Quote
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Wasabista's Avatar
Wasabista (Offline)
JF Old Timer
 
Posts: 216
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Saitama
09-12-2008, 11:43 AM

I'm one of them. Feminism is a cancer. The goal of bringing women into the workforce is a good one, but the path of getting there by casting women as victims of long-standing oppression is wrong, misinformed and harmful to families. The author of your paper himself is apparently unable to distinguish between "anti-feminist" and "misogynistic."


『辛かった」といえる前に
「辛かったろう」と言ってくれる
Reply With Quote
(#3 (permalink))
Old
kireikoori's Avatar
kireikoori (Offline)
Haplogroup N(Y-DNA)
 
Posts: 218
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Celestial Ocean
09-12-2008, 12:00 PM

Dude. Don't just link to a blog without having comments on it or putting snips from the blog in your

Anyway, there are a lot of guys out there who like Japanese women who are misogynistic. I'm not one of them. And I think they give guys who like Japanese girls a bad name.

Also, what's up with that "easy" thing that blog talks about?
How the hell is it gonna be easier to get girls in a country other than your own?
They're making it look like a person such as myself would be sad and pathetic to be dating a Japanese girl.

I'd like to have a Japanese girlfriend someday. But I bet it would be pretty difficult in comparison to all the girlfriends I've gotten in my own country.

I agree with this blog's pro-feminist sentiment.
But I'm also sort of vexed by how many people make it appear as if dating a Japanese or Asian is a bad thing. And that being attracted to an Asian = antifeminism.



Q: Who cares what other people think?!?!
A: Japanese people do.

Last edited by kireikoori : 09-12-2008 at 12:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka's Avatar
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger
 
Posts: 472
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tokyo
09-12-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kireikoori View Post
Dude. Don't just link to a blog without having comments on it or putting snips from the blog in your

Anyway, there are a lot of guys out there who like Japanese women who are misogynistic. I'm not one of them. And I think they give guys who like Japanese girls a bad name.

Also, what's up with that "easy" thing that blog talks about?
How the hell is it gonna be easier to get girls in a country other than your own?
They're making it look like a person such as myself would be sad and pathetic to be dating a Japanese girl.

I'd like to have a Japanese girlfriend someday. But I bet it would be pretty difficult in comparison to all the girlfriends I've gotten in my own country.

I agree with this blog's pro-feminist sentiment.
But I'm also sort of vexed by how many people make it appear as if dating a Japanese or Asian is a bad thing. And that being attracted to an Asian = antifeminism.
I agree with pretty much everything you say. Id just like to add that the "easy" thing can be explained by how a normal westerner can be "different" in asia, whilst just-another-loser back home. This can explain it, since "different" often leads to "interesting" which can lead to relationships, etc. This is of course not an universal truth or anything, it's just the way it goes sometimes, I think.


なんでやねん!
Reply With Quote
(#5 (permalink))
Old
quixote73 (Offline)
New to JF
 
Posts: 19
Join Date: Sep 2008
09-12-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasabista View Post
I'm one of them. Feminism is a cancer. The goal of bringing women into the workforce is a good one, but the path of getting there by casting women as victims of long-standing oppression is wrong, misinformed and harmful to families. The author of your paper himself is apparently unable to distinguish between "anti-feminist" and "misogynistic."
If I may ask, how long have you lived in Japan? Did your views towards feminism contribute to your coming to Japan? Do you feel more comfortable in Japan with your views than in your home country?
Reply With Quote
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin's Avatar
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 4,152
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: あま市
Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
09-13-2008, 04:08 AM

Didn`t read the original blog post - I`m not going to waste my time.

But I will pipe in and said that I`m an anti-feminist female in Japan.
I`m an egalitarian.

Equality is, well, different but equal. Feminism ends up meaning "Equal in status, but better in every way than those nasty men!" Feminism calls for all the benefits of equal status, but with special allowances and bonuses because you`re female.

It`s misandry, plain and simple.


Make the move!
The new Japan Forum Community -
Reply With Quote
(#7 (permalink))
Old
quixote73 (Offline)
New to JF
 
Posts: 19
Join Date: Sep 2008
09-13-2008, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Didn`t read the original blog post - I`m not going to waste my time.

But I will pipe in and said that I`m an anti-feminist female in Japan.
I`m an egalitarian.

Equality is, well, different but equal. Feminism ends up meaning "Equal in status, but better in every way than those nasty men!" Feminism calls for all the benefits of equal status, but with special allowances and bonuses because you`re female.

It`s misandry, plain and simple.
Did being an anti-feminist female lead you to come to Japan? Do you find Japan more comfortable for anti-feminist women?

Can I ask why you believe that feminism has inequality as its philosophical basis? Did you base this belief on something you read or experienced? I'd be interested in knowing.
Reply With Quote
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin's Avatar
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 4,152
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: あま市
Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
09-13-2008, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixote73 View Post
Did being an anti-feminist female lead you to come to Japan?
I don`t believe that was anywhere near the forefront of my reasoning, although at this point I`m sure it does have something to do with the way I think. Being as I`ve lived here for 10 years now and all...

Quote:
Do you find Japan more comfortable for anti-feminist women?
I wouldn`t know, as I`ve never lived elsewhere as an adult. I don`t feel threatened or looked down on though.

Quote:
Can I ask why you believe that feminism has inequality as its philosophical basis?
Personal experience. Media. Speaking to other western women in and out of Japan. Encounters with other mothers who love to gawk if I express support for my husband.

Quote:
Did you base this belief on something you read or experienced? I'd be interested in knowing.
Check the answer to the above.
If things are so equal - where are all the positive depictions of men? Where is the support for women who don`t choose to be "superior", or who don`t choose to belittle their husbands? Where is all the cultural support for mothers who make the choice to stay home, or who wish they didn`t have to "do it all"?

A lovely example is to look at the popular western female`s opinion of the women in Japan... That they`re all oppressed and held down by the men - without ever bothering to actually look at the fact that the "oppression" is an active choice made by women. Staying at home is the best-case-scenario in most cases. It`s the dream women strive for. Not the "My husband won`t let me work" everyone loves to jump to conclusions about.

As stated in a previous post, anti-feminism is not misogyny. But there is no feminism without misandry. Therefore, I will never think of myself as a feminist, but instead as an egalitarian.


Make the move!
The new Japan Forum Community -
Reply With Quote
(#9 (permalink))
Old
quixote73 (Offline)
New to JF
 
Posts: 19
Join Date: Sep 2008
09-13-2008, 05:00 AM

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that you were Japanese. I assumed you were foreign, but that was obviously an incorrect assumption on my part.

I assume that from your post you are a stay-at-home mother. I'm curious, how have Western women belittled your decision? Did these women say that they were feminists?

Do you believe that the "dream" that many women have to have children and stay at home with them is biologically determined from birth, or socially constructed? How do you feel about married couples in which the wife works outside of the home and the husband stays at home with the children and performs domestic duties? How do you feel about women who choose not to have children? How do you feel about women who do not want a husband?

In what ways do you "support" your husband?

Just trying to get a better understanding.
Reply With Quote
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin's Avatar
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 4,152
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: あま市
Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
09-13-2008, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixote73 View Post
I'm sorry, I didn't realize that you were Japanese. I assumed you were foreign, but that was obviously an incorrect assumption on my part.
I never said I was Japanese - Just that I`ve lived here for a very long time now.

Quote:
I assume that from your post you are a stay-at-home mother. I'm curious, how have Western women belittled your decision? Did these women say that they were feminists?
Yes, yes, and yes. I have been told multiple times that I should be ashamed of myself for "putting myself last", "wasting my education" and "letting myself be a 'prisoner' of my husband." Etc etc
All by non-Japanese women, who made it very clear they were strong feminists.

Quote:
Do you believe that the "dream" that many women have to have children and stay at home with them is biologically determined from birth, or socially constructed?
Both. But neither makes it oppression. Feminism was supposed to open doors and make it possible for a woman to make her own choices. Instead, it has just changed the right choice. If you don`t make that choice, you`re being oppressed... Because, well, there is no way any woman would really choose that sort of path.

Quote:
How do you feel about married couples in which the wife works outside of the home and the husband stays at home with the children and performs domestic duties?
If it is what is good for their family, and it is a choice they made, then I have absolutely nothing against it.

Quote:
How do you feel about women who choose not to have children?
That is entirely their choice, which they should be free to make.

Quote:
How do you feel about women who do not want a husband?
Same as above.

Somewhere along the line you are interpreting "anti-feminism" as believing women should be stuck in "traditional" roles.
That isn`t what it means. Recall that I said I was egalitarian - look it up. That means I believe in equality (with both negative and positive aspects), and freedom of choice without being looked down upon for those choices.
Feminism does not offer this.

Quote:
In what ways do you "support" your husband?
By cooking, cleaning, maintaining our household, and just generally being appreciative of the fact that he is the one out there working his butt off supporting us. It`s more attitude than specific actions. Staying at home is the easier path, despite what anyone may say.


Make the move!
The new Japan Forum Community -
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




Copyright 2003-2006 Virtual Japan.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.0.0 RC6