JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
taro (Offline)
JF Regular

10-04-2008, 08:52 AM

Okinawa is beautiful and is a good tourist spot. But it is not a great place for schooling. I hope the school you are going to is managed well. Other than the school, as I said, you will have plenty of nice islands to visit during the holidays.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Luciferos (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Luciferos Send a message via MSN to Luciferos Send a message via Yahoo to Luciferos
10-04-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmei View Post
yes, thats what i meant. a bunch of other kids who's parents are in the military. did you check if they have a japanese program?
Im hoping they do. Thatd be awesome for me.
I was also talking to one of my friends here whos japanese, and over all the stuff he told me, he basically said that the only way for me to really learn japanese is to live on the country. So im hoping that somewhat watching and listening other people speaking japanese will help me "somewhat" improve what i already know, which is not much.
Though im taking japanese lessons this year at a community college for the meantime during the winter breaks and which ever time i have off. Its $200 but theyre good, so im hoping itll help me more.

(#23 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

Send a message via AIM to kenmei Send a message via MSN to kenmei
10-04-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciferos View Post
Im hoping they do. Thatd be awesome for me.
I was also talking to one of my friends here whos japanese, and over all the stuff he told me, he basically said that the only way for me to really learn japanese is to live on the country. So im hoping that somewhat watching and listening other people speaking japanese will help me "somewhat" improve what i already know, which is not much.
Though im taking japanese lessons this year at a community college for the meantime during the winter breaks and which ever time i have off. Its $200 but theyre good, so im hoping itll help me more.
sounds like a decent plan.

the main thing i cannot stress enough is speak speak speak as much as you can while in japan. no matter what, it'll help you learn/practice and meet new friends/people. do not stay in a shell and be shy around other people. make the most of your opportunity and you will benefit a lot, trust me

get off the base as much as you can and as often as you can. explore japan you might want to think about investing in a JR pass (can be purchased via a travel agency prior to leaving for japan) so you can get unlimited rides on any JR train including shinkansen. which is great for traveling to other parts of japan cheap. it's good for 6 months, once you activate it however; it's only good for what you purchased it for (1 week/2 weeks, ect. of unlimited riding)

hope that helps.

ホラ顔上げぇな・・
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Luciferos (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Luciferos Send a message via MSN to Luciferos Send a message via Yahoo to Luciferos
10-05-2008, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmei View Post
sounds like a decent plan.

the main thing i cannot stress enough is speak speak speak as much as you can while in japan. no matter what, it'll help you learn/practice and meet new friends/people. do not stay in a shell and be shy around other people. make the most of your opportunity and you will benefit a lot, trust me

get off the base as much as you can and as often as you can. explore japan you might want to think about investing in a JR pass (can be purchased via a travel agency prior to leaving for japan) so you can get unlimited rides on any JR train including shinkansen. which is great for traveling to other parts of japan cheap. it's good for 6 months, once you activate it however; it's only good for what you purchased it for (1 week/2 weeks, ect. of unlimited riding)

hope that helps.
Lol, my friend told me about it. He visits Japan every year, so he told me once i get there, to make sure i learn my way around the train station and to know where im going (im bad at directions and else, so can you imagine me on a train, by myself?) but he told me about it as well.

Ho ho ho, im certainly not inside a nut shell, thats for sure. Im pretty calm from time to time or when i meet new people, but i open up really fast.
Cant picture me speaking Japanese for real with actual people, there.

I just checked out the school i might be attending to. My parents just showed it to me, its actually ironic, cause its the same school i attended back then when i lived on paraguay(south america), but in Japan. Its a private school and its an american school actually, but its for diplomatic kids. So ima be stuck with spoiled brats again. But then again, Ive only got my senior year and im done.

I dont know how my sister will deal with food there, she hates fish. Never really seen here eating fish at all.

(#25 (permalink))
Old
KikiBunny23 (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to KikiBunny23 Send a message via MSN to KikiBunny23 Send a message via Yahoo to KikiBunny23 Send a message via Skype™ to KikiBunny23
10-05-2008, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Only thing hes told me so far its on one of the military bases. I dont mind where, as long as its there.
lucky....my dad was gonna get sent over there when I was still a baby but he said no cus he didn't wanna "risk" anything happenin to us....
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Luciferos (Offline)
JF Regular

10-05-2008, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KikiBunny23 View Post
lucky....my dad was gonna get sent over there when I was still a baby but he said no cus he didn't wanna "risk" anything happenin to us....
Ive got a baby sister, wonder how shell do there.

(#27 (permalink))
Old
SGTOkinawa (Offline)
JF Regular

Talking 10-07-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Ive got a baby sister, wonder how shell do there.
Fine, you are NOT the first American family to go to Japan with DOD SOFA.

Good luck !

Peace!

SGT_Okinawa

U.S. Army Retired
38 years old
Married w/2 kids
Virginia, USA

(#28 (permalink))
Old
KikiBunny23 (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to KikiBunny23 Send a message via MSN to KikiBunny23 Send a message via Yahoo to KikiBunny23 Send a message via Skype™ to KikiBunny23
10-07-2008, 09:25 PM

my old math teacher is leaving for okinawa thursday to see his sister and bring her back with her baby because her husband is getting sent somewhere else...he's gonna get me something, my mom has to apy him back when he gets back to the states but its so cool.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
Luciferos (Offline)
JF Regular

10-09-2008, 07:09 PM

><
><
>,<

(#30 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

10-09-2008, 07:18 PM

Some have all the luck, some people have no luck

Anyway, congrats!