(#41 (permalink))
Old
YukisUke (Offline)
Konichiwa, bitches

Send a message via AIM to YukisUke Send a message via Yahoo to YukisUke
11-27-2008, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I am not trying to pick on you, YukisUke. i just see that sort of statement often here. "I am too lazy to use good grammar or spelling". Well if you are so lazy, don't post. Go to bed. No one wants to read the posts of a lazy person.
I wasn't saying that in a sad way, i was just saying that it's was nice of you to help me understand the topic more. Thanks.
(#42 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
11-28-2008, 03:09 PM

I can see why some support a chat box, but I don't.
Yes it promotes discourse because of the immediacy. While spammers can be filtered out, stupid and hurtful things said in the heat of the moment, which you would otherwise had edited, cannot. Several here promoting the chat box would be among those whose tempers would flare and be a problem (possibly even me). There is a benefit to minor delay that gives one time to consider your words first.

Also, in nearly every forum I have been on that added a chat box, the valuable individual thread withered away and the good information that came to light in the chat box was lost to the majority. If it is archived it is agony to search through and the storage capacity needed is a nightmare.

If you want things to be more immediate, ignore those threads that have either duplicate others or are not germain to Japan and are just places for bored people to waste time. Several I have heard complain about them have posted in those same threads. Even if you post to complain there you are contributing to their persistence.

I say improve what we have before we add more modules.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.

Last edited by TalnSG : 11-28-2008 at 03:11 PM.
(#43 (permalink))
Old
allie2590 (Offline)
I am the White Testament

11-28-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
I can see why some support a chat box, but I don't.
Yes it promotes discourse because of the immediacy. While spammers can be filtered out, stupid and hurtful things said in the heat of the moment, which you would otherwise had edited, cannot. Several here promoting the chat box would be among those whose tempers would flare and be a problem (possibly even me). There is a benefit to minor delay that gives one time to consider your words first.
I see what you are saying here, but people who decide who abuse the chat box could be banned from it. It's the same thing with the forums. A lot of people don't think before they post something here, and their thread gets closed, or in the worst case scenario, the user gets banned. I don't see why that can't be applied to a chat box. Couldn't mods have the power to delete things?
(#44 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

11-28-2008, 03:20 PM

If you don't want a chatbox, what about an IRC channel? Someone could set it up, and then PM members who want to use it with the channel name. Whoever sets up the chatbox can regulate it, by kicking out users and only accepting requests from people with 100+ posts. Anyone who is not meant to be in the channel can be kicked out within 3 seconds.

PS: I already have an IRC channel I made ages ago. If anyone wants to chat on it temporarily then just PM me and I'll tell you what to do

Last edited by MissMisa : 11-28-2008 at 03:26 PM.