LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
Tyrien (Offline)
I'm e-vincible.

12-04-2008, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cridgit001 View Post
*White flag* I had no intention of getting into an argument with an IT guy. You bring some good points and shoot down my own which I'm cool with.

Still though, DD is handy when I don't feel like going to game stop or best buy. One note on the, "needing terabytes to get a decent collection of games". If the Moore's Law holds, (which supposedly, in processors, they are going to hit a wall in size(nanometers wise) around 2020) 10 Terabyte HDD's wouldn't be out of the ordinary when the next consoles roll around.
Not an IT guy, I just work for a company that sells internet. Pet peeve of mine to see people spread misinformation about internet connections :P I twitch every time I hear someone say "Megabytes per second" instead of "Megabits per second".

Size is an issue for game storage. That's beside the point though. From a collectors standpoint I love cases, I love the box art (and have an appreciation for it as well), and I love the disc art. I love the collectors edition extras and cases I can get. I especially love staring at the stacks of cases as well and picking out what I want. Having entirely digital collection for my games (I admit, I have quite a collection of PSN games) just would feel... wrong, like I'm being ripped off.

The same goes for blu-rays. I only buy a physical copy when I really like the movie. A "these are the best" collection of mine if you will. If I lost the disc I'd be heart broken. I admit though I have quite a large collection of digital movies and TV series growing... I still keep the best on disc though.

Tyrien.DeviantArt~
As of 08/11/2008 5:33 PM Eastern Standard time I now officially own:
Miyavi, Kyo, Yuusuke, Maya, Gou, Aki, Aoi, Jun, Yusa, Jui, Key, Heechul, Yesung, Riku, Kei, Jyou, Satoshi, Takeru, Sin, Teddyloid, ♀Yooh♂, Reo, Tomoya, Tatsuro, Hitsugi, Kyoharu, Takanori Nishikawa, Jay Chou, Hirokai, Die, Kaoru, Shinya, and Toshiya.
(#32 (permalink))
Old
cridgit001 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to cridgit001
12-04-2008, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrien View Post
Not an IT guy, I just work for a company that sells internet. Pet peeve of mine to see people spread misinformation about internet connections :P I twitch every time I hear someone say "Megabytes per second" instead of "Megabits per second".

Size is an issue for game storage. That's beside the point though. From a collectors standpoint I love cases, I love the box art (and have an appreciation for it as well), and I love the disc art. I love the collectors edition extras and cases I can get. I especially love staring at the stacks of cases as well and picking out what I want. Having entirely digital collection for my games (I admit, I have quite a collection of PSN games) just would feel... wrong, like I'm being ripped off.

The same goes for blu-rays. I only buy a physical copy when I really like the movie. A "these are the best" collection of mine if you will. If I lost the disc I'd be heart broken. I admit though I have quite a large collection of digital movies and TV series growing... I still keep the best on disc though.
If that makes you twitch, I must have given you a seizure. haha

That's what I like about cover flow on itunes. I can finally see the cover art which is cool because some of the bands I listen to put a lot of work into them.

That is one reason why I almost never buy DVDs. I can't find movies worthy my my collection. I will however be purchasing Dark Knight, but I can't decide what format.
(#33 (permalink))
Old
Tyrien (Offline)
I'm e-vincible.

12-04-2008, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cridgit001 View Post
If that makes you twitch, I must have given you a seizure. haha

That's what I like about cover flow on itunes. I can finally see the cover art which is cool because some of the bands I listen to put a lot of work into them.

That is one reason why I almost never buy DVDs. I can't find movies worthy my my collection. I will however be purchasing Dark Knight, but I can't decide what format.
Blu-ray if you can play it DVD if you can't?

Tyrien.DeviantArt~
Miyavi, Kyo, Yuusuke, Maya, Gou, Aki, Aoi, Jun, Yusa, Jui, Key, Heechul, Yesung, Riku, Kei, Jyou, Satoshi, Takeru, Sin, Teddyloid, ♀Yooh♂, Reo, Tomoya, Tatsuro, Hitsugi, Kyoharu, Takanori Nishikawa, Jay Chou, Hirokai, Die, Kaoru, Shinya, and Toshiya.
(#34 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

12-04-2008, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XjapanFOREVER View Post
I've never really looked into SST, any semi-easy to understand articles about it for us semi-technical folk?
Here ya go.

Solid state hard drive technology guide

Quote:
I couldn't agree with Tyrien more, digital collections are cool, but it just isn't the same, alot of people complained when X released I.V. as an iTunes single instead of a physical single, one reason could be the highest quality available on iTunes is 320 mp3.
Every bit of Digitally Distributed media should have its Hard Copy counter part.
It should be a choice, not a regime change.

Quote:
also, with the increasing size of games, imagine the HDD you would have to have to store multiple games on it. A couple TB if you want a decent collection of PS3 games.
Indeed. Also, hard drives fail all the time. Imagine having to buy a backup for a huge drive?
For example, I have a PC with 5Tb of disk space. 1Tb of it failed and I couldn't do sh*t about it unless I dished out £400-£900 for data recovery.
In the end I made a vacuum box and succeeded in repairing it myself, though it voided the warranty.
Another example, my friends PS3 hard drive failed on him the other day. He was forced to format a Ton of saved game data as well as saved games.
He could back that crap up but why should he have to dish out extra money for something that can be so unreliable? Surely a backup device should come as standard.
So, that is 100's of hours of gameplay and transferred data down the crapper.
Imagine if it was your digitally downloaded game collection.

>.>

So yea, lets not get ahead of ourselves peoples.

Quote:

or rather, SATA, and eSATA are used internally due to power consumption. There's no external use for them currently like an SD card.
You mean like USB drives?

And yes, they make stand alone systems for Solid State Devices too up to 2Tb.
Like I said though, expensive as hell.

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers

Last edited by ivi0nk3y : 12-04-2008 at 02:48 AM.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
XjapanFOREVER (Offline)
In X we Trust

Send a message via MSN to XjapanFOREVER
12-04-2008, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Blu-ray if you can play it DVD if you can't?
I got WANTED on blu-ray yesterday.... ORGASMIC
Getting Dark night on it too... for X-mas.

@ivionk3y, thanks for the link.

5TB!?!?!?!!!!?
what did that run you? I only have a 500gb hd on my comp..

as for the ps3 hdd failing, I always keep up to date copies of my saves on my comp's hard drive, my friends 360 did it to him, which is why I do it now.

Microsoft is making computer's just like air conditioners; they work properly until you open WINDOWS.
(#36 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

12-04-2008, 02:59 AM

Quote:
@ivionk3y, thanks for the link.

5TB!?!?!?!!!!?
what did that run you? I only have a 500gb hd on my comp..

as for the ps3 hdd failing, I always keep up to date copies of my saves on my comp's hard drive, my friends 360 did it to him, which is why I do it now.
Around £400 at the start of this year. Not a bad deal really, back then.

But yea, he would've done the same as you if he had a PC.

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers
(#37 (permalink))
Old
XjapanFOREVER (Offline)
In X we Trust

12-04-2008, 03:05 AM

is it internal or external?
I'll have to get me a bigger one.. I plan to get a BD-RW drive here soon...

anyways, I can't wait for hideo's new game, he was the first one to really utilize most of what the Blu-Ray disc has to offer with MGS4.... There's supposedly another MGS in the works... most likely a prequel though

Microsoft is making computer's just like air conditioners; they work properly until you open WINDOWS.
(#38 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

12-04-2008, 03:36 AM

Quote:
is it internal or external?
I'll have to get me a bigger one.. I plan to get a BD-RW drive here soon...
Nono, there's 5 1Tb drives.

I wish I could afford those 2Tb SSD though.

Anyway, I wonder if they will ever make an RPG that utilises the Blue Ray capacity.

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers
(#39 (permalink))
Old
XjapanFOREVER (Offline)
In X we Trust

12-04-2008, 03:47 AM

gotcha...lol I thought that was one hdd...

I don't know what I would do with 5tb though, I'd probably go on a collecting spree and download everything I see...

I don't know, Even FFXII fit on a DVD5 I believe, and it was a decent length game.

The creator's of White Knight Chronicles were boasting a 100 hour story, so I guess that might use a bit of space...

(#40 (permalink))
Old
Tyrien (Offline)
I'm e-vincible.

12-04-2008, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivi0nk3y View Post
Nono, there's 5 1Tb drives.

I wish I could afford those 2Tb SSD though.

Anyway, I wonder if they will ever make an RPG that utilises the Blue Ray capacity.
Square will do it with FFXIII. Last Remnant released on 360 with two discs, both DVD9s... though I believe because of the proprietary information microsoft requires on the disc, and after base 2 to base 10 conversion there's only like 6.9GB free. FFXIII is estimated at 3~4 discs for the 360 version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivi0nk3y View Post
You mean like USB drives?

And yes, they make stand alone systems for Solid State Devices too up to 2Tb.
Like I said though, expensive as hell.
Yes, but as you mention transfer rate is very limited because of the limits USB 2.0 has. 3.0 was just recently announced, officially of course. Target isn't until.. 2010 I think.

The thing about an RPG and length... it doesn't necessarily have a relation to the size it uses on a disc. Several things like textures, and music can be used repeatedly.

Tyrien.DeviantArt~