JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Kazusekai (Offline)
New to JF

[How]Traditional Japanese Living Style How To? - 12-31-2008, 04:14 AM

Hmm,

Let me start off by saying is well I might sound that I might be into the Japanese Culture alot more then anyone else or maybe I am not.

But I been wondering, I know I dont even know how the Japanese lived through the old era or in other words Samurai Era. I seen so many movies and I know that its not the same in real life or it maybe but who knows.

So I been thinking how do you live the Japanese Old Era style? I want to experience the old way but only thing is I don't know how. Modern world is well I experienced lots of it and its cool and everything but I been curious how it feels to experience the Traditional Japanese Style Living.

So by writing I ask you or if anyone has an idea and think of this as a experiment or experience test to see how it feels. So does anyone have an idea? If so please lend me your wise words. I would love to hear your story side of it.

P.S: I might be weird to ask this but I been curious for while, ever since I did some research on The Old Era and Samurai Era. Anyways ^^

The Way Of The Samurai.

Last edited by Kazusekai : 12-31-2008 at 06:02 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-31-2008, 04:21 AM

The fact that you mentioned something other than Anime and J-rock means you are more into Japanese culture than 99% of the people here. Welcome.

It'll be very difficult for you to experience old Japan without being there. My girlfriend is moving in with me from Japan in August, and we plan to visit her mom in the winter.

We're going to stay out of neon wastelands such as Tokyo, and enjoy the culture of places like Kyoto, Osaka, and some small towns. Visit her grandparents' rice farm, stay at a ryokan together, watch some sumo and kabuki.

But if you're not in the country, may I suggest the classical stylings of Akira Kurosawa and the Yoshida Brothers

Oh! I wish I was in the land of Ramen
Otaku there are not downtrodden
Kawaii! Kawaii! Kawaii, Desu Ne!

MAXIMUM VIPER
Defender of the Scholar, Scourge of the Otaku, Savior of Japan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Kazusekai (Offline)
New to JF

Hmm - 12-31-2008, 05:25 AM

Well,

I agree it would be difficult to experience such a thing without being there but maybe following the living style maybe be accomplishable even if your not at the country itself. Well I would look into the stylings you suggest.

I would love to visit Kyoto and other traditional places it would be a great experience. Anyways if anyone else has idea's please lend me your wise words

The Way Of The Samurai.

Last edited by Kazusekai : 12-31-2008 at 06:04 AM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-31-2008, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazusekai View Post
Well,

I agree it would be difficult to experience such a thing without being there but maybe following the living style maybe be accomplishable even if your not at the country itself. Well I would look into the stylings you suggest.

I would love to visit Kyoto and other traditional places it would be a great experience. Anyways if anyone else has idea's please lend me your wise words
I would recommend watching some classic movies like Seven Samurai, Kwaidan, The Hidden Fortress, Lone Wolf and Cub series, Zatoichi series...there you can get some hints of life during samurai days.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Kazusekai (Offline)
New to JF

12-31-2008, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I would recommend watching some classic movies like Seven Samurai, Kwaidan, The Hidden Fortress, Lone Wolf and Cub series, Zatoichi series...there you can get some hints of life during samurai days.
Hmm,

Well I have been watching some Samurai Type movies and seeing the way it was before its interesting but sure I might take in some movies you recommend

The Way Of The Samurai.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
superheel (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-31-2008, 08:59 AM

The only Samurai movie I know is "The Last Samurai" which is not that good for my taste.

"Save the earth from Global Warming!"
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Kazusekai (Offline)
New to JF

12-31-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superheel View Post
The only Samurai movie I know is "The Last Samurai" which is not that good for my taste.

Actually when i saw that movie, I felt something that well the world needs a little change and somethings in life you regret doing but past is past.

Hihi~

The Way Of The Samurai.