JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
fletcherol (Offline)
New to JF

Planning a honeymoon in japan - 01-05-2009, 06:28 AM

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum but I am planning my honeymoon in Japan and am looking for all of the advice that I can get. The date is set for August 8th and we were thinking leaving the 11th and getting back on the 1st of september. I researched it pretty heavily but sometimes prices and hints on the internet can be quickly outdated. I just have many questions about where to stay and the best places to go in 2009? I personally would be fine with staying in youth hostels but this is supposed to be a honeymoon(don't think the misses would approve)but we are going for three weeks and only have about 1,700 to spend on hotels and whatnot. Also, I found some round trip flights from chicago to Tokyo for around 1,300 each, is there a place that I can find a better price or is that about the best? . I know that all of the festivals will be going on so prices will be high. For the entire trip(including airfare)we budgeted about 6500 to 7000, and we wanted to have spending money etc. So is it possible? I'm pretty well-traveled but that was to europe and Japan seems to be quite different territory. I thank you in advance for any tips or hints. sorry for the long post.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-05-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletcherol View Post
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum but I am planning my honeymoon in Japan and am looking for all of the advice that I can get. The date is set for August 8th and we were thinking leaving the 11th and getting back on the 1st of september. I researched it pretty heavily but sometimes prices and hints on the internet can be quickly outdated. I just have many questions about where to stay and the best places to go in 2009? I personally would be fine with staying in youth hostels but this is supposed to be a honeymoon(don't think the misses would approve)but we are going for three weeks and only have about 1,700 to spend on hotels and whatnot. Also, I found some round trip flights from chicago to Tokyo for around 1,300 each, is there a place that I can find a better price or is that about the best? . I know that all of the festivals will be going on so prices will be high. For the entire trip(including airfare)we budgeted about 6500 to 7000, and we wanted to have spending money etc. So is it possible? I'm pretty well-traveled but that was to europe and Japan seems to be quite different territory. I thank you in advance for any tips or hints. sorry for the long post.
1700 dollars is not going to be enough for hotels for three weeks in Japan.

1300 dollars is a BIG price to pay for round trip tickets. Out of Portland, OR I usually pay between 700 and 900.

I would plan on 150 a night for hotels. 50 dollars each per day for food (it is your honeymoon, right?) 30 dollars a day in travel (trains, taxi, bus, etc.) So that is about 280 a day average. You CAN do it for cheaper, but, again, it's your honeymoon.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
fletcherol (Offline)
New to JF

01-07-2009, 07:15 AM

thanks for the quick reply, what airlines do you use to book your flights from?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
BakaCrisis (Offline)
(。・_・。)σ

Send a message via AIM to BakaCrisis Send a message via MSN to BakaCrisis Send a message via Skype™ to BakaCrisis
01-07-2009, 07:31 AM

As MMM stated, its YOUR honeymoon. If your budget is 8k, live your honeymoon as if you only had 30% less than that, and then spend the rest when the honey moon is about to be over.

Teach me Japanese (Skype: davidh053090 )
(#5 (permalink))
Old
fletcherol (Offline)
New to JF

01-07-2009, 07:39 AM

thats a really good suggestion, whenever I go on trips I'm always so broke at the end, maybe that will work out well.thanks
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-07-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
thanks for the quick reply, what airlines do you use to book your flights from?
I usually use Air Canada, but they recently canceled the flights from Vancouver BC.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

09-08-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I had my honey moon in Japan back in 2009.. also 3 weeks.. you don't want to be in a hostel, not for honeymoon anyways... We landed in Narita and travelled to Fukuoka on the Shinkansen (no direct flight from toronto to Fukuoka, and its very expensive to switch and fly out from haneda). Our trip started from Fukuoka and travel along the tokaido route back to Tokyo > Kinugawa back to Tokyo and we left.

Our spending was about 7000 per person, including flight and other transportation. Flight was about 1100, JR pass for 21 days, and additional transport (Taxi, other non JR transit), comes out to be roughly about 2000 per person, so hotel, food and other spending sums up to be about 5000 per person... we did purchase some big items, so even knocking that off, I'd say it would have cost us about 3500 per person not including the 2000 for transportation....

Our average daily spending on food was about 60 per person per day.. and hotel spending, we were a bit picky, so the cost went up a little, I am going to say our average hotel cost was about 80/person a day. The rest were all fees for different things....

Last edited by godwine : 09-08-2011 at 11:35 AM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
kraft021 (Offline)
New to JF

09-08-2011, 04:13 PM

There are many shinto shrines in Japan where people visit for wishing happy marriage. They could be nice destinations for honeymooners.