JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Obama's Inaguration (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/22581-obamas-inaguration.html)

Gwen_Goth 01-21-2009 06:36 PM

I *still* haven't seen the speach xD

but here you go Carley; it's from the BBC; so totally separate from north/south politics (you can even read along xD )

BBC NEWS : Obama Inauguration

;)

CarleyGee 01-21-2009 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwen_Goth (Post 667459)
I *still* haven't seen the speach xD

but here you go Carley; it's from the BBC; so totally separate from north/south politics (you can even read along xD )

BBC NEWS : Obama Inauguration

;)

Thank you!!
World News seems to work best for me.
=]

MMM 01-21-2009 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fluffy0000 (Post 667426)
Unfortunately this thread is not a 'cheeracracy' . Obama did not win that much by the popular vote see for yourself Nov 6,08'CNN Politics.Com WASHINGTON (CNN) – A new report from American University’s Center for the Study of the American Electorate concludes that voter turnout in Tuesday’s election was the same in percentage terms as it was four years ago — or at most has risen by less than 1 percent.
“A downturn in the number and percentage of Republican voters going to the polls seemed to be the primary explanation for the lower than predicted turnout,” the report said. Compared to 2004, Republican turnout declined by 1.3 percentage points to 28.7 percent, while Democratic turnout increased by 2.6 points from 28.7 percent in 2004 to 31.3 percent in 2008.

If you would like to spread the notion that the presidential 2008' election was a watershed event at least check your facts and political culture since historians like Howard Zinn 'A peoples history of the United States' and Noam Choamsky 'Manufactoring Consent' among others completely argue otherwise.

Nearly 2 million people on the Mall at Washington. That is beyond unheard of. But go ahead and keep your head in the sand as long as you like. I am enjoying the sunshine.

ivi0nk3y 01-21-2009 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 667513)
Nearly 2 million people on the Mall at Washington. That is beyond unheard of. But go ahead and keep your head in the sand as long as you like. I am enjoying the sunshine.

Hm just have a question about the validity of your logic there.

That is, just cos people turn out for an inauguration, it automatically means they all voted?
The fact that its a "historic" event is the reason for the largest turnout ever, not that they all neccessarily love Obama 'the person'. Whether they will love Obama 'the president' still remains to be seen too.

MMM 01-21-2009 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivi0nk3y (Post 667527)
Hm just have a question about the validity of your logic there.

That is, just cos people turn out for an inauguration, it automatically means they all voted?
The fact that its a "historic" event is the reason for the largest turnout ever, not that they all neccessarily love Obama 'the person'. Whether they will love Obama 'the president' still remains to be seen too.

No President has seen a turnout anywhere near that. I am just giving a retort to Fluffy's indication that people are that excited about this.

There is a different air in America now, and Obama has come out of the gates running, already making some big changes on his first day.

I would be surprised to hear that anyone who was there, after waiting hours and days to be there would not have at least some passionate feelings toward the President.

Gwen_Goth 01-21-2009 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarleyGee (Post 667512)
Thank you!!
World News seems to work best for me.
=]

no problem :)

I tend to stick with the BBC news site as they have good coverage of the world, and tend to be a little less bias the some other news companies; but you still have to be sceptic about some stories in the news ;)

[plus i get a feed on my iGoogle homepage :p]

noodle 01-21-2009 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 667535)
I would be surprised to hear that anyone who was there, after waiting hours and days to be there would not have at least some passionate feelings toward the President.

Really? I have a cousin that came down from Toronto with a bunch of friends to this simply because it was historical and wanted a part in history (Personally, I laughed at him)...

fluffy0000 01-21-2009 11:26 PM

sorta not

lose the cheerleader pom poms and unbunch your panties MMM. Unless you
would like to try and describe the size of your tears of joy at the election of Obama and the size of the crowd at the inaug. Wash mall. ( does'nt have anything to do with political culture) only your Obama fan boy fetish. get real dude. I posted the Nov. 6 08' CNN Politics . Com article that described the actual 08' presidetial election voter turnout for 08' and 04' presidential election turnouts according to the CNN article pointed out less than 1 per cent difference. Which translates into a less than 1% increase btween 04' and 08' presidential election voter turnout?
You obviously put more importance on crowd numbers at the Wash mall for Obamas InAug.over actual election votes for Obama successful presidential bid 08'.- which does'nt support your political culture. now go and grow some skin dude. Look at the date of your Andy Barr article and my CNN Politics post which is dated Nov 6 08' and realize your article is using data from earlier date. Are we on same page?
WASHINGTON (CNN) – A new report from American University’s Center for the Study of the American Electorate concludes that voter turnout in Tuesday’s election was the same in percentage terms as it was four years ago — or at most has risen by less than 1 percent.

The report released Thursday estimates that between 126.5 and 128.5 million Americans cast ballots in the presidential election earlier this week. Those figures represent 60.7 percent or, at most, 61.7 percent of those eligible to vote in the country.

“A downturn in the number and percentage of Republican voters going to the polls seemed to be the primary explanation for the lower than predicted turnout,” the report said. Compared to 2004, Republican turnout declined by 1.3 percentage points to 28.7 percent, while Democratic turnout increased by 2.6 points from 28.7 percent in 2004 to 31.3 percent in 2008.

“Many people were fooled (including this student of politics although less so than many others) by this year’s increase in registration (more than 10 million added to the rolls), citizens’ willingness to stand for hours even in inclement weather to vote early, the likely rise in youth and African American voting, and the extensive grassroots organizing network of the Obama campaign into believing that turnout would be substantially higher than in 2004,” Curtis Gans, the center’s director, said in the report. “But we failed to realize that the registration increase was driven by Democratic and independent registration and that the long lines at the polls were mostly populated by Democrats.”

Some experts also note that national turnout trends may mask higher turnout in swing states with more intensive attempts by both campaigns to get their supporters to the polls. Several large states, including California and New York, had no statewide races and virtually no advertising or get-out-the-vote efforts by either presidential campaign.

According to the report, several Southern states — North Carolina, Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, Virginia, and Mississippi — and the District of Columbia saw the greatest increases in voter turnout.

Overall turnout was highest in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Missouri, Michigan, South Dakota and North Carolina, according to the report.

In 2004, 122 million Americans voted in the general election

MMM 01-21-2009 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fluffy0000 (Post 667565)
lose the cheerleader pom poms and unbunch your panties MMM. Unless you
would like to try and describe the size of your tears of joy at the election of Obama and the size of the crowd at the inaug. Wash mall. ( does'nt have anything to do with political culture) only your Obama fan boy fetish. get real dude. I posted the Nov. 6 08' CNN Politics . Com article that described the actual 08' presidetial election voter turnout for 08' and 04' presidential election turnouts according to the CNN article pointed out less than 1 per cent difference. Which translates into a less than 1% increase btween 04' and 08' presidential election voter turnout?
You obviously put more importance on crowd numbers at the Wash mall for Obamas InAug.over actual election votes for Obama successful presidential bid 08'.- which does'nt support your political culture. now go and grow some skin dude.

I don't care if only 20 people voted for president. As long as 11 were for Obama, what difference does it make?

And you can tone down the insults, please

2008 turnout shatters all records
By ANDY BARR | 11/5/08 4:19 AM EST

More than 130 million people turned out to vote Tuesday, the most ever to vote in a presidential election.

With ballots still being counted in some precincts into Wednesday morning, an estimated 64 percent of the electorate turned out, making 2008 the highest percentage turnout in generations.

In 2004, 122.3 million voted in what was then the highest recorded turnout in the contest between President Bush and Sen. John F. Kerry (D-Mass.).

Previously red states targeted by the Barack Obama campaign demonstrated remarkable turnout, setting records in North Carolina and elsewhere. Increased turnout was also reported in states including Virginia and Indiana.

Exit polls indicate that whites made up a slightly smaller percentage of the electorate than in 2004, as a surge among minority and youth voters aided Obama, who exit polls show won two-thirds of voters ages 18 to 29, 66 percent of Hispanics and 95 percent of blacks.

Although Kerry won all those groups in 2004, he did so with slimmer margins, taking 54 percent of the 18-to-29 vote, 53 percent of Hispanics and 88 percent of blacks.

minimin 01-21-2009 11:56 PM

Wow, why are people so mad???? Personally Im glad Obama won and not just cause be's black but because his policies were way better than McCain. I hope he does well. and wow it is insult city hmm. Keep telling to truth MMM :D