JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Sitting/kneeling at a Japanese table? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/22824-sitting-kneeling-japanese-table.html)

AnimeBaby112 01-30-2009 03:38 AM

Sitting/kneeling at a Japanese table?

Is there a certain way you are supposed to kneel when sitting at a Japanese table or when meditating? Every time I try, my feet fall asleep.

MMM 01-30-2009 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimeBaby112 (Post 670680)
Is there a certain way you are supposed to kneel when sitting at a Japanese table or when meditating? Every time I try, my feet fall asleep.

That means you are probably doing it right. It just takes practice.

zed 01-30-2009 03:52 PM

well i practiced karate Do for five years, when i was younger, and we allways knelt at the begining and at the end or when it was a theory class, and the first months my legs allways fell a sleep but after that I gess my legs got used to the position and it stopped, so I think it's the same.

Jaydelart 01-30-2009 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 670681)
That means you are probably doing it right. It just takes practice.

Indeed. It's common for the legs to fall asleep, and even for there to be a certain degree of pain.
As zed has pointed out, it does get easier to do overtime. Just keep practicing.

nobora 02-01-2009 02:53 AM

Ah yes Mine do too T_T

AnimeBaby112 02-01-2009 04:31 AM

Does anyone have a picture of how you are supposed to place your legs/feet?

YukisUke 02-01-2009 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimeBaby112 (Post 671367)
Does anyone have a picture of how you are supposed to place your legs/feet?

Sorry to say, but no i don't. When i try to sit on my legs, they hurt like hell. It's gotten a lot better, but they still hurt.

TalnSG 02-04-2009 07:51 PM

If you search on "kiza" or "seiza" you will find plenty of instruction

I find this makes my toes ache until they are numb. You can also flatten your feet straight back, which is easier sometime, but more of my legs go numb that way and it is hard to rise from even without the numbness.

I once maintained this position through a lengthy dinner (over an hour) because a waiter was insensitive enough to say that as a westerner I shouldn't try to sit that way - "too difficult". :mad: If looks could kill........
I can be rather stubborn at times and this was quite comfortable for me, but these days (20 years older) I don't think I could ever do it again

If you have poor circulation, damaged knees or thick/heavy thighs, opt for a less formal modified lotus position. Standard lotus is cross-legged with the feet atop you thighs; modified leaves the feet under the thigh (sometimes uncomfortable on a hard surface).

bELyVIS 02-04-2009 09:15 PM

This is why Japanese have bow legs. It is very bad for your health.

alanX 02-04-2009 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bELyVIS (Post 672202)
This is why Japanese have bow legs. It is very bad for your health.

I don't think that's why....lol