JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-01-2009, 06:05 AM

I've been backpacking...

Got a 2 year working holiday visa in England and worked at Summer camps in the US for two summers (Our winters).

Travelled from Illinois to New York to Quebec and on the way home stopped off in LA after I finished working at a camp in Wisconsin.

In Europe I backpacked in the South of Sweden. Went to other countries too but not as a backpacker rather just based myself in England and would travel to Europe once in a while. (You know what they say... The best thing about the UK is Europe lol.. just kidding)

Time abroad was very interesting.... Being a backpacker is fun.. you immediately have a bond with other backpackers no matter where they're from. I think the thing that I remember most fondly is not the places I went... but the people I met along the way. In that regard I don't think it matters where you go.

I too plan to backpack in Asia next though
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-01-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshAussie View Post
That sounds so awesome Ronin, "you immediately have a bond with other backpackers no matter where they're from." Iv heard that alot and think its awesome. I was planning to try and go with someone else (I guess as a "security-blanket"), but have recently decided that when i do eventually go id like to travel alone. But from what i hear theres a good chance ill probably end up travelling with other people that iv met along the way anyway.

Did you find yourself travelling with other backpackers?
On occassion I travelled with other backpackers.

But it mostly happened by chance. Most of the time you'd become friends with people in your dorm/lodge/hostel... do things with them... part seperate ways and then meet new people when you get to a new location.

I think if you were to take a planned tour though then you'd definitely travel with the same group of people over a long distance.

I winged it because I had friends in some of the areas I went (Montreal, Goteborg and I met with some colleagues in NYC) so didn't mind so much that I didn't have regular buddies along the way.