JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

Offspring and the population. - 02-02-2009, 11:14 AM

As we all know, there's a current law in China where you are fined if you have more than one (Or was it two?) child/ren.

I for one, think this should be applied, short term, for the whole world. At a maximum of two children per couple. It would reduce the stress on the lack of resources we have at this moment.

What are your thoughts?

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

02-02-2009, 02:19 PM

I don't think Japan, Russia and other countries with low birthrates would agree with this law.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
02-02-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniki View Post
I don't think Japan, Russia and other countries with low birthrates would agree with this law.
um yea what Aniki said take a look at the thread i started about Japan having the lowest birthrate in the world you might change your mind.

(#4 (permalink))
Old
Hisuwashi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-02-2009, 02:58 PM

Uh, you get more than a fine if you have more than 1 child in China. That country really doesn't have a great human rights record.

~ Wind Song ~
~ Windlied ~
~ Chant du vent ~
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Onyx (Offline)
JF Regular

02-02-2009, 03:19 PM

I would like to help Japan with its low birthrate problem... Seriously..
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

02-02-2009, 03:36 PM

Ah, I didn't know about certain countries.

Alright, let's make it about the US and England, and the countries with a larger population and higher birthrate.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#7 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

02-02-2009, 03:40 PM

Or we just stop being greedy pricks and stop hording 75% of the worlds wealth, which is the largest contributor to world resource problems.

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers
(#8 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

02-02-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisuwashi View Post
Uh, you get more than a fine if you have more than 1 child in China. That country really doesn't have a great human rights record.
What do you mean exactly? Last I checked, there was a fine $900 - $20000 (depends on many things) for having another child, and a lot of families are actually paying this fine.

But anyway, to the subject at hand, I agree with ivionkey.
It's hard for me to say whether the one child policy is a good thing or a bad thing for China. I feel for the chinese that will never know the love of a sibling, but then again, prediction say that the chinese population would be past the 2billion mark had it not been for this policy. With over 1billion, many chinese are suffering, so you can only imagine what kind of famine and poverty would exist if it was 2billion odd!

Last edited by noodle : 02-02-2009 at 05:33 PM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

02-02-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas View Post
Ah, I didn't know about certain countries.

Alright, let's make it about the US and England, and the countries with a larger population and higher birthrate.
Nope that wouldn't help either. If you'd check the the list of countries by birthrate you'll see that almost all countries in Africa are at the top of the list, so the US and England wouldn't help much to reduce the world's population or the resource problems.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Hisuwashi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-02-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
What do you mean exactly? Last I checked, there was a fine $900 - $20000 (depends on many things) for having another child, and a lot of families are actually paying this fine.
You can have 2 children in a rural area of China if the first is a girl or disabled. But otherwise, they force women to get abortions, or you can lose rights to free education for your children and other rights. Also the fact that families want boys first and foremost means there are now nearly 3 males to every 2 females in China. But you can't really blame them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniki View Post
Nope that wouldn't help either. If you'd check the the list of countries by birthrate you'll see that almost all countries in Africa are at the top of the list, so the US and England wouldn't help much to reduce the world's population or the resource problems.
This is a good point but Africa doesn't tend to use up so many resources as England and in particular the USA.

~ Wind Song ~
~ Windlied ~
~ Chant du vent ~

Last edited by Hisuwashi : 02-02-2009 at 04:32 PM.