JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
In Japan, laid off can also mean homeless - 02-17-2009, 01:43 PM

This article got me thinking about the difference in the work force of the US and Japan. Its a sad article in a way but with Japan economy is a having a very hard time so this goes along with the other articles i have posted over the past couple of weeks. In a way im very glad i am employed in the US but im also not a temporary employee nor would i ever do such a thing.

Temporary workers who live in agencies' dorms are shown the door
TOKYO - In corporate Japan, losing your job can mean losing your home as well.

Job cuts swell ranks of Japan's homeless - Asia-Pacific - msnbc.com

(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

02-17-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post

In a way im very glad i am employed in the US but im also not a temporary employee nor would i ever do such a thing.
Having seen the recent threads about Japanese economics created by you, I wonder if you yourself are even aware what country it is that started the current world-wide recession in the first place. It's the country you're most familiar with in case you didn't know.

Such a thing? You obviously don't know much about Japanese employment practices. Don't believe everything you read over there. At least Japanese car companies aren't asking for rediculously huge government aides like your counterparts have.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

02-17-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
Having seen the recent threads about Japanese economics created by you, I wonder if you yourself are even aware what country it is that started the current world-wide recession in the first place. It's the country you're most familiar with in case you didn't know.

Such a thing? You obviously don't know much about Japanese employment practices. Don't believe everything you read over there. At least Japanese car companies aren't asking for rediculously huge government aides like your counterparts have.

sigh Im going to assume that your post was not meant to come off as rude as it sounded since you do not seem like a rude person.

Oh I'm well aware of the problems created by the US and have been vocal about it. This is similar to what happen to Japan in the 80's and 90's and how they somewhat fixed it. Did you read the article i posted how the US can learn from Japan?

I work in the car industry thank god not the American car industry i work for the Austrian Motor Group. The administration that left office i voted against twice because i knew something like this would happen because of their policies such as more deregulation. I was also against a bailout for the car industry they made their mess let them clean it up unforuntley its not that simple. Americans need to take responsibility for their actions as well if you made $40K a year then you should know that you can not afford a $900K house i don't care what the bank tells you. I also favor regulations on Wall street and in the private sector. No i do not know much about Japanese employment practices and no i don't believe everything i read which is why i post things like this to generate discussion. The best way to learn is by discussion if something is false state why it is so. If you have noticed when i post an article i ask everyone to give their opinion on it i do not state that its accurate nor i believe it.

I can ask my Japanese co workers or friends if i need to know. There are over 300 Japanese who work at NIH and i speak with a lot of them on a regularly basis and the difference of information iv obtain from them versus here can be substantial. I frequently show them whats posted here by you and others sometimes they agree sometimes they disagree, or i can ask co-workers who work for Mercedes Benz in Japan we do business with them as well. I don't mind other mundane topics sometimes but i also like serious topics and world topics. Since this is JF i try to post articles related to Japan.

so if you would not mind please tell the inaccuracies in the article because im honestly interested if i was not i would not be here.

Last edited by Sinestra : 02-17-2009 at 05:36 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
fluffy0000 (Offline)
FJ to JF

again sorta not - 02-17-2009, 05:09 PM

Apologist for Japans recent (Nov.17/2008) start of its present Recession can finger point and play the blame game on the US economic policys just like they did during the 'Lost Decade' Japans Recession 1992-2001 property and banking bubbles burst in the late 1980s, leading to Japan's so-called Lost Decade. Benjamin Powell Mises Insitute| Posted on 11/19/2002 Between 1992 and 1995, Japan tried six spending pkgs. totaling 65.5 trillion yen and cut income tax rates during 1994. In January 1998, Japan temporarily cut taxes again by 2 trillion yen. Then, in April of that year, the government unveiled a fiscal stimulus package worth more than 16.7 trillion yen, almost half of which was for public works. Again, in November 1998, another fiscal stimulus package worth 23.9 trillion yen was announced. A year later (November 1999), yet another fiscal stimulus package of 18 trillion yen was tried. Finally, in October 2000, Japan announced yet another fiscal stimulus package of 11 trillion yen. Overall during the 1990s, Japan tried 10 fiscal stimulus packages totaling more than 100 trillion yen, and each failed to cure the recession. What the spending programs have done, however, is put Japan's government in poor fiscal shape. The "on-budget" government spending has caused public debt to exceed 100 percent of GDP (highest in the G7), and even more debt is apparent when the "off-budget" sector is included.
Note above info is dated from 2002' CNN Money.Com. Article Nov.17/2008 Japan's recession announcement was not unexpected. Part of the problem is the strong yen, which skyrocketed in recent weeks as turmoil in the world's financial markets and concerns about a global recession drove investors away from high-yielding currencies such as the euro and the pound. As a result, lower-yielding currencies like the dollar and the yen surged in value, because they are considered by many investors to be a safe haven .
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

02-17-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy0000 View Post
Apologist for Japans recent (Nov.17/2008) start of its present Recession can finger point and play the blame game on the US economic policys just like they did during the 'Lost Decade' Japans Recession 1992-2001 property and banking bubbles burst in the late 1980s, leading to Japan's so-called Lost Decade. Benjamin Powell Mises Insitute| Posted on 11/19/2002 Between 1992 and 1995, Japan tried six spending pkgs. totaling 65.5 trillion yen and cut income tax rates during 1994. In January 1998, Japan temporarily cut taxes again by 2 trillion yen. Then, in April of that year, the government unveiled a fiscal stimulus package worth more than 16.7 trillion yen, almost half of which was for public works. Again, in November 1998, another fiscal stimulus package worth 23.9 trillion yen was announced. A year later (November 1999), yet another fiscal stimulus package of 18 trillion yen was tried. Finally, in October 2000, Japan announced yet another fiscal stimulus package of 11 trillion yen. Overall during the 1990s, Japan tried 10 fiscal stimulus packages totaling more than 100 trillion yen, and each failed to cure the recession. What the spending programs have done, however, is put Japan's government in poor fiscal shape. The "on-budget" government spending has caused public debt to exceed 100 percent of GDP (highest in the G7), and even more debt is apparent when the "off-budget" sector is included.
Note above info is dated from 2002' CNN Money.Com. Article Nov.17/2008 Japan's recession announcement was not unexpected. Part of the problem is the strong yen, which skyrocketed in recent weeks as turmoil in the world's financial markets and concerns about a global recession drove investors away from high-yielding currencies such as the euro and the pound. As a result, lower-yielding currencies like the dollar and the yen surged in value, because they are considered by many investors to be a safe haven .
Hey Fluffy where did you get that info from? seems like a good read.

(#6 (permalink))
Old
fluffy0000 (Offline)
FJ to JF

sorta swell - 02-17-2009, 07:46 PM

Hiya! Sinesta. Japan Recession -2001 or 2008 goggle search covers alot good nuggets.
From Japans 'Lost Decade' Recession 92-2001 period. If you note BofJ search fields ( Bank of Japan ) get actual mind numbing stim. pkgs for just 1995 - totalled btwn 5 or 6 stim pkgs. for that year alone? This recent Recession 09' Japan officially recongnized as Nov.17/08. Ludwig Von Mises Insitute really focus is on gold and currency but has really easy tables to explain yen and B of J economic approach through out 'Lost Decade' with its Japan government having to in a effect 1999 Japans Ministry of Finance and B of J
represented 53% of the market in government owned bonds? Translation Japans government attempt
suppress value of its own currency ( yen ) too stimulate the japanese economy= weaker yen versus overseas currency (stronger ) make japanese products more competative versus more expensive with stronger yen. CNN Money.Com
references some good items off its updated website also. Hegel 'the hand that wounds the worst is your own'. or something like that.

Last edited by fluffy0000 : 02-17-2009 at 07:53 PM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-18-2009, 06:16 AM

It sounds like many Japanese workers are falling into the same hole American home buyers fell into when they got into Adjustable Rate Mortgages.

It's all dandy when the economy is strong, but when the economy turns, you are the first to have your head lopped off.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-25-2009, 05:42 PM

Speaking of homelessness in this country, Japan's real estate and housing traditions are mostly stemmed from bad impacts after WWII. If Japan's economy wants to recover, improve the real estate and housing issues first.