JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
cridgit001 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to cridgit001
Culture Greeting question - 02-19-2009, 08:01 AM

Typically, in the west(America in this case) firm handshakes when first greeting someone is a sign of strength. Is this also the case in Japan? I know about the bowing and what-not but my Japanese teacher told us that you can do both and at the same time(bowing while shaking hands). I ask this because I wouldn't want to give a bad impression (by expecting a firm handshake and instead I'm responded with what feels like a dead fish) with lets say my girlfriends father or an employer. Thanks
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-19-2009, 08:14 AM

Expect the dead fish and don't give an American firm handshake unless you want to crush their fingers.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

02-19-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cridgit001 View Post
Typically, in the west(America in this case) firm handshakes when first greeting someone is a sign of strength. Is this also the case in Japan? I know about the bowing and what-not but my Japanese teacher told us that you can do both and at the same time(bowing while shaking hands). I ask this because I wouldn't want to give a bad impression (by expecting a firm handshake and instead I'm responded with what feels like a dead fish) with lets say my girlfriends father or an employer. Thanks
Handshaking isn't all that common in Japan. When you see it, it's often between two male friends seeing each other for the first time in many years.
You will not see two Japanese businessmen shaking hands when they meet for the first time.

I was about 19 when I shook someone's hand for the first time and this was in the U.S. when I visited it. I remember how awakward I felt from touching a stranger's body part. In a way, I still do after doing it coutless times.

You will occasionally see a Japanese and a "Western person" shaking hands with only the Japanese bowing simultaneouly as your teacher told you. But the important factor in that is that the bowing part is being done unconsciously. Since we are so used to bowing in greetings, we don't really feel "complete" if we just shake hands. At least that's how I analize it.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-19-2009, 09:56 AM

Haha

One rule I learnt pretty quickly is that Japanese people tend to not appreciate being hugged unless you are close... but even then I'm not sure as the Japanese people I hug that I'm close with are familiar with Western customs.