JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-22-2009, 02:31 AM

When I stayed with my host family they spent countless amounts of money on me... If they said it, they meant it and I think it's a really kind and generous offer.

And for them to see you arrive in Japan on their yen would probably make them feel really good tbh
(#12 (permalink))
Old
YukisUke (Offline)
Konichiwa, bitches

Send a message via AIM to YukisUke Send a message via Yahoo to YukisUke
02-22-2009, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu View Post
When I stayed with my host family they spent countless amounts of money on me... If they said it, they meant it and I think it's a really kind and generous offer.

And for them to see you arrive in Japan on their yen would probably make them feel really good tbh
and to add to that, turning down their offer would really hurt them.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
PapaG (Offline)
New to JF

02-22-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
Being a Japanese daddy myself, I can pretty much relate to this father. If he said it, he meant it. He wouldn't have said it in the first place if he couldn't afford it or didn't really mean it literally. I'll be honest. I know you were very much surprised to hear the offer, but it doesn't surprise me at all. I'd probably do the same if I were in his position. Try to think of it as a Japanese style of hospitality.

Now, I understand how you feel about accepting it, but I think you will disappoint this family deeply if you decline quickly. So email again to tell them how you feel honestly and humbly ask if it would be really OK for you to accept the offer. I'm sure he'll reply saying "Don't worry about anything.".
Wow thanks for the insight. I have emailed her back and have asked if she would mind giving us a little bit more information first, but I think we are going to say yes.

It should be interesting trying to sort this out as neither myself or my sister are fluent in Japanese, though no doubt she knows more English than the Japanese we know.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
sdbri (Offline)
New to JF

02-22-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaG View Post
Hey everyone
Of course, we are extremely reluctant to accept because we do not expect her parents to foot the bill for our little holiday in Japan. Does anyone know if it is common for Japanese people to make similar sorts of requests (even if they cannot/can afford it) and what would be the best way to tell them we do not want them to pay for us without offending them.
Cheers
All the other replies so far gave pretty good insight - if they offered it then they meant it. To answer your other question, offering to pay a host family's airfair is not common. This is both a sign of their ability to pay, and their sincere desire to have you visit.

Personally I'd feel some obligation if I took up an offer like this, at the least to be a pleasant guest. Do think it over, either way how you respond is more important than your decision.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-22-2009, 09:28 AM

Listen to Nagoyankee. Accept the offer and bring a very nice gift from home. This is a very generous offer, and I understand your reluctance...but it is very much heart-felt and genuine, I am sure.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
PapaG (Offline)
New to JF

02-22-2009, 01:27 PM

Well it looks like we are going!!! I just got back a reply email to the questions i asked them about a couple of hours ago and they had already organized everything (dates etc) and even talked to the sister in Tokyo to meet us at Narita. Not that that is a bad thing! Talk about a crazy day for us. We just can't believe it and we do not really know how to express our thanks enough. And I don't know if I mentioned this but this is all happening next month so it seems a bit sureal - sorry I'm a little excited!

Thanks for everyone's comments and help on the matter.

Cheers again
(#17 (permalink))
Old
isisbathory (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-22-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaG View Post
Her father owns quite a large supermarket/department store. So yes they probably can afford it.
if you dont wanna go, tell them to pay my expenses I will we go with no trouble xD
I would love to visit Japan
(#18 (permalink))
Old
YukisUke (Offline)
Konichiwa, bitches

Send a message via AIM to YukisUke Send a message via Yahoo to YukisUke
03-01-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isisbathory View Post
if you dont wanna go, tell them to pay my expenses I will we go with no trouble xD
I would love to visit Japan
WOW. That's so nice of you to say, isisbathory. LOL.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
nobora (Offline)
Fan Ichigou

03-02-2009, 01:28 AM

To me it sounds like their way of repaying you but for them to invite you to their home is also a way of them respecting you and your sister. But as how you could say no to the money I really don't have a clue.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
SmMo (Offline)
@ Uni and lurking on JF

03-02-2009, 01:52 AM

Hope you have a blast in japan、 おれも行きたい! I spend allot of time with some off the Japanese exchange students at my University and my closest friends among them have already offered me to stay at their places when i go there, I'm gonna pay my own ticket tho =)

They also mentioned this kind of gestures, you don't say anything without the intention off staying true to your words.

btw: I'd bring some local craftsman ship and or some food specialty ;p

Laid back.

Has Claimed Aya Kamiki, mine!