JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Bugg333 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Bugg333 Send a message via Yahoo to Bugg333
Ok, MY issues (towards Japan) - 03-11-2009, 07:00 AM

because i've been posting in the "scared to go to japan thread" to ask my questions, it seems that- because there are so many pages- my questions are skipped over, so i've decided to make a separate thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg333 View Post
I'm a mixed guy (1/2 black 1/2 white) in 10th Grade and i want to live in Japan as well. I am learning Japanese from books and whatever source i can get my hands on. I am 16 years old and I live in LA, Cali, USA. (the place where there are two seasons every year... Summer and Spring. ) I have always loved the Asian cultures and for many of years i have always loved the Japanese culture especially. So understanding the culture and history of Japan will never be a problem for me.

However, my concern is the grades. My parents have always kept on me about the grades and i have always been good about it, however i don't see how getting a 3.8 is possible... REALLY THOUGH. I get pissed when i get any C's on my report card, and my most recent report card had about a 3.3 average, with 3 A's, 3 B's and 1 C. (I play music too and im in a music academy, so i have 7 periods.) With a 3.3, am i going to be ok? I'm worried out of my mind dawg!!!!

And what other necessities are there? Tell me now so i can prepare as much as possible. What colleges are there that are near or in a city, and what GPA is necessary for which ones? And also, what cards/papers do i have to fill to go over there to learn, and after that, what would i have to get to live there after college? What range of jobs would be available?

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
You're already on the right track, studying the language and the culture. You should be fine.Well, once you graduate high school, look into universities that have exchange programs. It wouldn't surprise me if a place like UCLA had it. You can maybe minor in Japanese and then participate in an exchange where you can maybe spend a semester in Japan while studying. To go to an actual Japanese University, the way you're going on about it, you have to have a Japanese proficiency level of probably equivalent to the JLPT 1. Do you have any idea what your proficiency level is? Have you ever looked into taking the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT)?

Aside from having a passport, to literally live there, you will need a Visa. There are different types, work visa, spousal visa, student visa, tourist visa, etc. There are requirements as to how you get the visa, but one of the main necessities is having a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college/university.

Anyway, do you plan on literally living there or do you just want to visit for a like a month or something? If you literally want to live there, would probably have to try and obtain a work visa, which isn't easy to obtain, seemingly. You have to already have a job and a place of employment to sponsor your Visa prior to living there.

Quote:
Well i only recently got a book, which im starting to learn japanese from. Will I probably be able to pass this JLPT if i study japanese language for the next two years that i'm in high school? I want to actually GO to a university in Japan, not just a semester, i mean GO. I want to BE in it.

Well first of all, how can i get a Bachelor's degree if i plan on learning in a university in japan? I would have to get a student visa to go over there to be in a Japanese university, obviously, but i can't get the visa without the degree, so am i forced to have to take college in here in america before i can even try to learn in Japan? I wanna make this work.

Yes i plan on living there, i've put much much much much thought into it, and if i could choose any place to live, honestly, i'd want to live over there, and i'm confident that i'm not making the wrong choice. Also, i have alot of time to take care of whatever i need to get done before going over there. So i'm also confident that my goal of living there isn't an impossible one.
now for the work visa, if im going to learn over there, in one of their universities, will i need a work visa or a student visa? I thought i could get a student visa and then get a work visa when i graduate. and if i do that, i guess i'll have to get a job while im in the university, so that i can get the work visa? wouldn't i need a work visa for that though?

and lastly, this is indeed a possible goal, right?
Quote:
I actually doubt that you will be able to pass lvl 1 or 2, unless you have a really good memory and use Japanese every single solitary day in some way or form and associate with those who can speak it back as practice. In other words, maybe if you eat, sleep, and breathe Japanese, maybe you'll be able to reach that level, although I highly doubt that one possibly can in only two years with out being surrounded by it (but hey, everyone learns differently). I can see learning a lot and then continuing to improve upon it after going to Japan.

In the states, the JLPT is given in December every year at various test centers. The price varies depending on what level you take. I took lvl 3 this past December, but didn't pass it due to pretty much doing horribly on the first section. There are four levels for the JLPT, 4 being the easiest, 1, being the hardest. A person with a lvl 1 proficiency, "has mastered grammar to a high level, knows around 2,000 kanji and 10,000 words, and has an integrated command of the language sufficient for life in Japanese society." A person on this level, or higher, should be able to read, and probably comprehend, a Japanese newspaper and should be able to hold a conversation with practically strangers on the street. The best way to even be remotely close to this, imo, is to actually be emerged in the language.

A friend of mine studied Japanese for years...I'd say ever since he was about 12 or 13. He was great with reading, writing, and vocabulary, but due to the fact that he didn't have any formal learning until he did get to college, his speaking/listening wasn't very good at all. All his years of self-study did pay off when taking formal Japanese classes at his university. He then spent about a year in Japan as an exchange through his university during his third year.It'd be cheaper and more practical to just study in your home country and just do a cultural exchange. If you go to a university in Japan, your lessons will be in Japanese. I know some places offer English-language classes, like Hokusei Gakuen University in Sapporo, but, it's set up for "exchange" purposes.It isn't, but it'd still be more practical, and realistic, if you just study in your home country and do an exchange, and then return to Japan after you've graduated.Probably a student visa, but I'm not sure of the rules for a foreigner at a university obtaining a job. Maybe someone else can answer this one.Sure, just a very difficult one due to lack of fluency in the language.
Quote:
So let me get this straight, to learn to language to the necessary point, i would have to basically live over there, but to live over there, i'd have to know the language to the necessary point.

...so i should.... visit japan a bunch of times/be an exchange student, to live over there. something tells me i'm doing something wrong here..... but that's the basic concept that i'm supposed to be understanding, correct?
So at this point, it's looking like ima either go through many many trips to japan before even THINKING of trying to actually go over there, or i will just be another well educated, college-graduated dude in america who wishes he were somewhere else, and i DON'T want that! Any thoughts? I know it's about two years from college, but i'd like to prepare as much as possible, but hell- if there's no way to really make this happen, LET ME KNOW NOW, BEFORE I GET INTO IT, cuz if i follow this dream of mine for a year or two, and then i find out that i can't do it, it's gonna be really sad, but that shouldn't be an issue because it appears that it is indeed possible.

So anyways, i'm going to talk to college prep counselors at my school to see what they say, and any input i get from here will be much appreciated as well.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
03-11-2009, 07:04 AM

Quote:
If you want to attend a Japanese University, in the way you're talking, of course you'll have to know the language to the point of an actual native speaker. All of your lectures and classes would be in Japanese. Lectures in English are boring at times; being lectured in a language you're not fluent in, would make it even more difficult to keep up and understand the subject.Pretty much. I'm just saying, it'd be easier and more practical to minor in something like Japanese, at a university in your own country, and just do a cultural exchange where you'd end up staying with a host family or a program where you can study in Japan for a while. Usually included with this, is an actual class where you're studying the language as well, and since you'd be there on an exchange, of course the benefit of the doubt would be given, and you'd probably have some classes with English language instruction. If you went to a four-year University in Japan on the get-go, you'd have to have a proficiency level of a native speaker. The JLPT 1 is equivalent to 900 hours of study. You'd also have to get through the exam to get into the university.

You could always go back to Japan later on in life, after University to look for a job. I wouldn't mind living in Japan for a bit, which is why I'm applying to the JET Program. Didn't get in this year, so here's hoping I get in next year. Anyway, if you do an exchange, at least you'd get an idea as to whether or not you actually would like to stay in the country for a more permanent basis.

You live in LA, I'm almost positive that places like UCLA would offer an exchange. The only problem is that most schools require one to be in his/her third year of university before doing an exchange.
That was the response. =P
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-11-2009, 07:11 AM

To live in Japan full time, knowing the language is going to be a necessity if you actually want to get something out of life.

I think what people want you to realize is that going to live in a foreign country is not something you should decide without a lot of thought and experience in that country. To enter a program and commit yourself to being in Japan for a year or more is a big thing, and may not be all that you are dreaming it may be.

Anyway - in order to attend a Japanese university, you will NEED to have some level of Japanese. There are a few schools who accept students without Japanese skills, but it`s more toward Japanese study alone and relatively short term. (Like a year.) At the end of the study period you`d have to enter a regular university course, whether it be of the school you originally studied at or another. The key to that is having the high level JLPT.

In other words, you can`t really hop from your high school straight into a Japanese university.

The best courses of action, in my eyes, would be either attending university in the US and doing an exchange year at some point... Or entering a Japanese language program in Japan and then pursuing a degree here. Either way, you`ll still have to graduate high school normally so spend the next two years studying Japanese to make things easier in the long run.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
03-11-2009, 07:14 AM

What are the visa requirements for attending a Japanese Language school in Japan? I'm going to assume a student visa, and how would one make the transition over? How long do you think would be necessary to study at a Japanese language school before actually attempting going to a four-year university in Japan? I always thought that for the universities in Japan, you actually had to test your way in.

Last edited by SSJup81 : 03-11-2009 at 07:17 AM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

03-11-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
What are the visa requirements for attending a Japanese Language school in Japan? I'm going to assume a student visa.
Yes, but you don`t have to have it in hand at the time of enrollment. You enroll in their program and get the visa through them.

You can`t get a student visa until you`re enrolled in a school, and you can`t actually attend the school until you`ve gotten the visa.
If the school accepts you, getting a visa is just a matter of paperwork, really.

Quote:
How long do you think would be necessary to study at a Japanese language school before actually attempting going to a four-year university in Japan? I always thought that for the universities in Japan, you actually had to test your way in.
How long would depend on what kind of course and how good of a student you are, really. I`d say minimum of a year.
You have to test your way in as a regular student. International students are a completely different category - in entry requirements, tuition, etc. An international student can actually have a much easier time getting into a prestigious university than a normal student. It all depends on the university and their international program. Some places will let you in with a JLPT1 and a recommendation - no real test at all.

Last edited by Nyororin : 03-11-2009 at 07:22 AM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Bugg333 (Offline)
New to JF

03-12-2009, 12:12 AM

So, what are the requirements for tokyo university? let's say I go to UCLA for a year or two, with Japan's stuff as a major, what are the other needs? I would major on japan for two reasons: 1- It's very possible to have 2 majors now a days, and 2- I'm THAT dedicated about Japan's culture.

If not tokyo university, what other good universities are there? Will where i live depend on where i go to college? What are the difficulties of attempting to live in Kyoto or Tokyo or some other city in Japan? what's it like living in an area of Japan that ISN'T a city? is it like remote china or is it like traditional country-side japan?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

03-12-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
So, what are the requirements for tokyo university? let's say I go to UCLA for a year or two, with Japan's stuff as a major, what are the other needs? I would major on japan for two reasons: 1- It's very possible to have 2 majors now a days, and 2- I'm THAT dedicated about Japan's culture.

If not tokyo university, what other good universities are there? Will where i live depend on where i go to college? What are the difficulties of attempting to live in Kyoto or Tokyo or some other city in Japan? what's it like living in an area of Japan that ISN'T a city? is it like remote china or is it like traditional country-side japan?
University of Tokyo? Err you need to be einstein to get into that place. Before you even thinking about going to a Japanese university, you need JLPT 1 (especially for top tiers), full stop and JLPT 1 is not something you can cram in a year.

You can get into Tokyo University via 2 methods,
1. General Admission (compete with other Japanese student)
2. 外国学校卒業学生特別選考 (If you can't read this, you can forget it)

I think it is too late for you to be admitted to a university in Japan full time. Exchange is the best way and Japan's country side is quite clean but there is not much there (like any other country side).

And people, if you going to move to Japan (and not teaching English), please consider Japan's economic situation first. -12% annualised GDP decline is very scary but hopefully it will turn around soon.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

03-12-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Tokyo University has an English page - I think you`ll find your answers there.

Quote:
If not tokyo university, what other good universities are there?
Plenty. It all depends on what you are studying, just like the rest of the world. I actually advise you to aim for a different university as everyone and their friends are trying to get into Tokyo University. First, because it`s an excellent university and second because it`s the only place they`ve heard of outside Japan. The less well known the university is outside of Japan the greater your chances of securing a spot once you qualify.

Quote:
Will where i live depend on where i go to college?
Erm, that could go either way. You could choose your university based on where you want to live... Although not all of them accept international students, there are close to a thousand scattered all over Japan - quite a few with split campuses out in the country.

Quote:
What are the difficulties of attempting to live in Kyoto or Tokyo or some other city in Japan?
Tokyo and Kyoto are simply well known - they`re hardly comparable in size or atmosphere. (Sort of like comparing, say, New York to... Boston? In terms of the US.) I`d say that it is likely no more difficult to live in Tokyo than any other large city once you remove the language barrier - likely even easier.

Quote:
what's it like living in an area of Japan that ISN'T a city? is it like remote china or is it like traditional country-side japan?
There is a lot between city and "remote" countryside - smaller cities, smaller towns, suburbs, villages, etc etc. Technology is available everywhere, so it`s certainly not like falling into another era.

(#9 (permalink))
Old
Bugg333 (Offline)
New to JF

03-12-2009, 04:08 AM

these answers have been very helpful and i am doing all that i can to learn the japanese language.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

03-12-2009, 05:07 AM

Another school you can look into is Hokusei Gakuen University, which is in Sapporo. I'm pretty sure I mentioned this one earlier.

That aside, all we can do is wish you the best of luck, especially if you try to go Japanese Language School > Japanese University route.