JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
partypao (Offline)
New to JF

Help with windows Japanese IME - 03-28-2009, 05:23 AM

Hello everyone!

Ive just installed japanese IME on my windows XP.. and im using various japanese dictionary/software: Wakan, and Jquick Trans. .. my problem is.. when I set my foreign keyboard settings to hiragana with the IME, when i type any kind of japanese text in these two programs, they all become question marks (???).. I dunno how this is happening. I can type hiragana and kanji with other programs like Word, or notepad, or even Photoshop. No problem. But these two programs should've been the first to understand japanese IME input. Anybody encountered this kind of problem?

I know there is a setting of half-hiragana and half-katakana input, and im not using those either. Im using the normal hiragana input setting from the IME... I wish windows could be just as simple as MAC OS with Asian languages. I mean, you dont have to install anything in Mac, its just there, and it works with everything. And the windows language bar GUI is sooo buggy.. >_<
(#2 (permalink))
Old
AsianAtHeart (Offline)
Linguist in training

03-28-2009, 05:55 AM

Wakan nor Jquick trans will take actual Japanese fonts. The characters only show up when you use the Latin alphabet. They're more for people with little or no background in Japanese (little knowledge of the alphabet, in particular), at least to me.

It's kind of annoying when you have a Japanese IME already set up, that's why I got rid of 'em ten minutes after I installed each.

Last edited by AsianAtHeart : 03-28-2009 at 06:01 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
partypao (Offline)
New to JF

04-07-2009, 04:39 AM

A.. so it really doesnt accept japanese IME input... hmm.. wow thanks AsianAtHeart.. that saved me from digging into the options and tinkering stuff.

ども!
domo!