JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
xerotolerant (Offline)
New to JF

Where can i find entrance exam past papers? - 01-26-2009, 11:24 PM

do any of you people know where i can find entrance exam past papers or secondary school syllabus?

and also does anyone know the name of the major examination bodies in japan?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-26-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerotolerant View Post
do any of you people know where i can find entrance exam past papers or secondary school syllabus?

and also does anyone know the name of the major examination bodies in japan?
You want to see an entrance exam for what kind of institution? High school? College?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Hisuwashi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-26-2009, 11:26 PM

Let me google that for you.

~ Wind Song ~
~ Windlied ~
~ Chant du vent ~
(#4 (permalink))
Old
xerotolerant (Offline)
New to JF

01-27-2009, 02:31 AM

yeah that was probably a little too vague, was watching GTO just now and kinda felt that it was understood.

University entrance examinations. or the national exams that hey have at the end of secondary school. and i have googled it i just haven't found anything useful. and also i do not know japanese that well so searching the japanese google, or whatever it is that they use, wouldn't really do much for me.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
mrnicekid (Offline)
JF Regular

01-27-2009, 03:11 AM

Quote:
yeah that was probably a little too vague, was watching GTO just now and kinda felt that it was understood.

University entrance examinations. or the national exams that hey have at the end of secondary school. and i have googled it i just haven't found anything useful. and also i do not know japanese that well so searching the japanese google, or whatever it is that they use, wouldn't really do much for me.
most universities keep a records of their past entrance exam papers, and those papers can be acquired.

you just have to ask the 学部入試係 (entrance exam department) of the university that you're planning to take the entrance exam.

visit the university's official website to obtain their contact information.

they usually charge you around 500yen for 3 years worth of past entrance exam papers; and of course the charge and volume is different from one university to the other.

this only applies to national universities, i don't know about the other private or prefecture-run ones.

*anyways, you said that you don't know japanese very well. so how are you going to answer those entrance exam papers? it is a japanese university entrance exam, so all the questions will be in japanese and all the answers must be in japanese.

what are you trying to achieve here?

[note]
you can also ask to borrow past entrance exam papers from libraries, preferably high school libraries, but of course, you have to be a member first.

Last edited by mrnicekid : 01-27-2009 at 06:00 AM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
xerotolerant (Offline)
New to JF

01-27-2009, 07:06 PM

i am actually more concerned with math and physics, i imagine that they would be reasonably easy to figure out with an online translator. and i really am concerned with the likely content of the mext scholarship examinaiton, which is why i also asked for a syllabus.

umm yeah about that last part, i am not in japan, near japan, or near anywheare that has that type of information. i am in the caribbean and as a result i am only able to find things like GCE and SAT past papers.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
mrnicekid (Offline)
JF Regular

01-28-2009, 02:28 AM

Quote:
i am actually more concerned with math and physics, i imagine that they would be reasonably easy to figure out with an online translator. and i really am concerned with the likely content of the mext scholarship examinaiton, which is why i also asked for a syllabus.

umm yeah about that last part, i am not in japan, near japan, or near anywheare that has that type of information. i am in the caribbean and as a result i am only able to find things like GCE and SAT past papers.
so you're trying for the 日本政府文部科学省奨学金プログラム (MEXT Scholarship)?

well then, it's a different story now.

i seriously think that you will never find the past papers to a MEXT exam, because they don't allow it to go public; but i will try to search the Japanese Education Ministry website for the papers...

i've done some light searching at the website, and at this point i can only find the past final papers for 3rd year high school students... i'll do more searching later.

i'm curious though, are you trying for a gakubu (undergraduate) or a kenkyusei (researcher) program? and i'm guessing in the field of engineering?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
xerotolerant (Offline)
New to JF

01-30-2009, 06:38 PM

i am signing up for the undergraduate scholarship. i have about three years' worth of scholarship papers that i got from the studyjapan website, (only 2 years worth of solutions for some reason), but i don't want to go in for any surprises, which is why i would so love to have a secondary school syllabus. if i knew the name of their major examination body i would probably be able to find the syllabus on their website.

Now that i think about it though, is MEXT the body? It seems to be that that is a goverment organization, and over here private (not so private, but independent of the ministry of education) bodies are responsible for examinations.

I looked through the Mext website but i can't find anything useful, not the final papers or anything, i can't access half of the site due to some retarded dns error on this connection that i am on. i will try again later elsewhere.

Last edited by xerotolerant : 01-30-2009 at 06:42 PM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
mrnicekid (Offline)
JF Regular

01-31-2009, 02:45 AM

Quote:
i am signing up for the undergraduate scholarship. i have about three years' worth of scholarship papers that i got from the studyjapan website, (only 2 years worth of solutions for some reason), but i don't want to go in for any surprises, which is why i would so love to have a secondary school syllabus. if i knew the name of their major examination body i would probably be able to find the syllabus on their website.

Now that i think about it though, is MEXT the body? It seems to be that that is a goverment organization, and over here private (not so private, but independent of the ministry of education) bodies are responsible for examinations.

I looked through the Mext website but i can't find anything useful, not the final papers or anything, i can't access half of the site due to some retarded dns error on this connection that i am on. i will try again later elsewhere.
i've been studying in Japan for almost 6 years now, and i don't even know the existence of the studyjapan website! it's a really good website...

well, mext scholarship is a scholarship from the japanese government, coming out from japanese citizen's tax money, and is governed by the ministry of education, culture, sports, science and technology (mext).

the reason why they employ private bodies to conduct examinations for them is probably because of it would be cheaper that way; they don't have to set up their own facility in another country just for conducting exams.

anyways, i took my mext exam in 2004, and i think it was not as hard as i expected it to be... but all the questions are in Japanese and all answers must be in japanese. there were several papers... including math, chemistry, english, japanese, physics and kanji. i guess that's all of it.

are you going to take the mext exam in english?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
xerotolerant (Offline)
New to JF

02-05-2009, 11:53 PM

yeah in english, there is a japanese exam but we're told that it doesn't matter and we really only get time to write our names on the pages before we hand them up