LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-30-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydelart View Post
Hehe... There's nothing wrong with being proud of where you come from.
Personally I find being proud of where you come from an illogical sentiment. But that aside... you're right to a certain degree.

I just find generally that the Australians and Americans the most obnoxious with their patriotism is all I'm saying.

Though of course all obnoxious patriotism is equally annoying regardless of where you come from.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

03-31-2009, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Personally I find being proud of where you come from an illogical sentiment. But that aside... you're right to a certain degree.

I just find generally that the Australians and Americans the most obnoxious with their patriotism is all I'm saying.

Though of course all obnoxious patriotism is equally annoying regardless of where you come from.
For the most part, I agree with you.
Except, in regard to your personal opinion, I wouldn't consider patriotism entirely illogical. I believe, in order to achieve something great, there has to be a certain amount of pride involved. In this respect, for the sake of their own country's well-being, people should have some pride in where they come from. The pride thereof isn't without reason or purpose.

Though, I don't deny the fact that some people take their pride too far or misplace it.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-31-2009, 02:24 AM

Patriotism is a good thing. There is nothing wrong with loving your country and being proud of it... Until you take it too far and start putting other countries down.

You can be positive about your own country without resorting to blatantly insulting others. I`ve never felt uncomfortable around someone who is talking in a good way (even bragging a bit) about things in their own country... But when they drop to insulting another to make their own look better, it gets annoying FAST.

The feeling of hearing "My country is filled with beautiful parks. I miss them. " is completely different than when hearing someone say "This country is disgusting. My country would never let there be so few parks. How horrible. I hate this place."
Or... "I love my country`s food!" vs. "This food is disgusting compared to that where I`m from. They should quit making this crap and make more stuff like where I`m from!"

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
GodNickSatan (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to GodNickSatan Send a message via Yahoo to GodNickSatan
03-31-2009, 07:43 AM

I've never really understood national or ethnic pride. I'm comfortable living in Australia, but it's just where I was born and I had no control over it. I don't say I'm proud to be 5'10 or I'm proud to have green eyes, so I don't know why I would say I'm proud of my country.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)

03-31-2009, 07:46 AM

I live in Canada and it's always the American tourists who are the worst ones.

It is not because the American tourists are patriotic. They can't handle the cultural shock when they come to Canada.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-31-2009, 07:55 AM

I have been to Canada many many times, and culture shock was the least of my problems. I think the only culture shock I felt was when I was told the price of a pitcher of beer. Now THAT was shocking.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)

03-31-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I have been to Canada many many times, and culture shock was the least of my problems. I think the only culture shock I felt was when I was told the price of a pitcher of beer. Now THAT was shocking.
If you consider today for the past few years when parts of cities in Ontario and other provinces suddenly turned into New Arabia, New Sudan, or New Punjab, New Manila, etc.

Now that's a cultural shock.

I live in some city in Ontario and parts of the city turned into small Mandarin-speaking Chinatown enclaves in 7 years.

Last edited by komitsuki : 03-31-2009 at 08:06 AM.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-31-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by komitsuki View Post
If you consider today for the past few years when parts of cities in Ontario and other provinces suddenly turned into New Arabia, New Sudan, or New Punjab, New Manila, etc.

Now that's a cultural shock.

I live in some city in Ontario and parts of the city turned into small Mandarin-speaking Chinatown enclaves in 7 years.
It sounds like you are experiencing culture shock in your own hometown.

Where I live in Portland, Oregon we have a Chinatown and a long history of Chinese and Japanese residents. There are streets where many shops only have signs written in Korean.

Somehow we all get along.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Goku (Offline)
New to JF

03-31-2009, 11:00 AM

Opinions on which nationalities are the best and worst tourists seem to vary widely depending on the values of the opinion holder.

Several Japanese I've spoken to suggest the Chinese are bad because they don't queue up at buffets. Some dislike Americans because they're loud and opinionated; others dislike Brits and Aussies because they get drunk and fall down alot (everyone agrees the French are a virus and should find their own planet ). Even tho Germans are generally considered to be among the best, a quick glance at Google gives examples where some believe they are among the worst. I've even met some people who didn't like Japanese tourists because they misunderstood their 'shyness' for being unfriendly.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

03-31-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Patriotism is a good thing. There is nothing wrong with loving your country and being proud of it... Until you take it too far and start putting other countries down.

You can be positive about your own country without resorting to blatantly insulting others. I`ve never felt uncomfortable around someone who is talking in a good way (even bragging a bit) about things in their own country... But when they drop to insulting another to make their own look better, it gets annoying FAST.

The feeling of hearing "My country is filled with beautiful parks. I miss them. " is completely different than when hearing someone say "This country is disgusting. My country would never let there be so few parks. How horrible. I hate this place."
Or... "I love my country`s food!" vs. "This food is disgusting compared to that where I`m from. They should quit making this crap and make more stuff like where I`m from!"
I wouldn't call longing for the parks in your country "patriotism".

But since patriotism is a broad and ill-defined concept you're not wrong I suppose.

My definition of patriotism and the way I use the concept is synonymous with nationalist sentiment. (I find it an unnecessary concept otherwise.. I can more easily be specific about the things I long for, without making an association to the concept of the nation/state.)

Therefore in my opinion patriotism, while not necessarily a bad thing can not be a good thing if you accept my use of the word. After all nationalism is inherently divisive.

Personally I find that humanism is just as motivating and uplifting.. but without the side effects.