LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-06-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethine View Post

I'm a little worried about being mistaken as an American while being in Japan next year. I've heard most Japanese don't like Americans? Is this true?
As an Aussie, he happened to me a lot and it was very annoying!

Aussies have a good image in JP so lay low

Cheers - Oz
(#32 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

05-07-2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troo View Post
I get very embarrassed about being English when abroad (and often when at home). The majority of English tourists seem to get extremely drunk, vomit their way around foreign countries, pass out in the streets, and litter like nobody else I've seen. They get their genitals out in public, shout racial abuse at the locals, and start fights because they feel like it.

At least in Japan the English drunken idiots clump together in Roppongi, where I can avoid them.
This is exactly my thinking too. I was embarrised while abroad at being from England.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#33 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-07-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
I'm Australian and while in the UK all the pommies loved us! Yet again, I'd hate to imagine how disgraceful some of our tourists must be
We pommies love you guys. We too realise that life's a bit crap and not worth taking too seriously

Quote:
I'm a little worried about being mistaken as an American while being in Japan next year. I've heard most Japanese don't like Americans? Is this true?
It appeared to me that the Japanese are just more used to seeing American white people than Antipodean or European ones, particularly out in more distant-from-tousistville areas. We had a very pleasant conversation with some schoolgirls in Kamakura on a train because they naturally assumed we were American. When we said we were English they got terribly excited about that.

You'll also be naturally better off if you're blonde.

A Troo with a View - Travel blog, Troo style.
(#34 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-07-2009, 08:45 AM

The Brits up here in Cairns have a ball!

the hospital is now overflowing with British nurses, the breweries as always are making a killing with the beer, the campervan rental market is strong, and the hostel beds are full..

If it wasn't for the British, I think Cairns would go bust!

Cheers - Oz
(#35 (permalink))
Old
Rogozhin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-07-2009, 01:50 PM

Many Australians are inconsiderate and arrogant people. There's a mainstream "culture" here that's being inconsiderately loud, peppering speech with profanities, drinking excessively and bragging to mates about how wasted they got over the weekend. Going to a pub is awful, people can only think about themselves and will quite simply push in front of you to order their drinks. There's a fair bit unprofessionalism in customer service as well and public servants will have the audacity to make snide remarks against you.

The Australians in the more rural areas tend to much nicer. Farmers will probably wave at you if you drive past. What ever happened to this face of Australia?
(#36 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-07-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogozhin View Post
Many Australians are inconsiderate and arrogant people. There's a mainstream "culture" here that's being inconsiderately loud, peppering speech with profanities, drinking excessively and bragging to mates about how wasted they got over the weekend. Going to a pub is awful, people can only think about themselves and will quite simply push in front of you to order their drinks. There's a fair bit unprofessionalism in customer service as well and public servants will have the audacity to make snide remarks against you.

The Australians in the more rural areas tend to much nicer. Farmers will probably wave at you if you drive past. What ever happened to this face of Australia?
Bunch of rude bastards aren't we..

I'm with you all the way

Cheers - Oz
(#37 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-07-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogozhin View Post
Going to a pub is awful, people can only think about themselves and will quite simply push in front of you to order their drinks.
That's just pubs. Push the gits back. Kick 'em in the balls if you have to

A Troo with a View - Travel blog, Troo style.