(#21 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-14-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshAussie View Post
Sorry,

Im always feeling very passionate about the injustices in the world and sometimes do go overboard.
Apology accepted.

I feel passionate, too, about the injustice these parents inflicted on their daughter.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

04-14-2009, 09:01 PM

Is it really easier to get fake passports, documents, and pretend that you're Japanese than it is to just legally move there?
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
04-15-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
And what options would that be?
Quote:
Is it really easier to get fake passports, documents, and pretend that you're Japanese than it is to just legally move there?
I`ll answer these two quotes together.

In the case of the Philippines, it is indeed easier to take a legal route into the country. There are tons of legal immigrants from the Philippines in Japan. It isn`t a country that requires a flee-by-night approach. Visas are issued on a regular basis.
It may be quicker to go the fake route - you don`t have to wait for anything official to clear, obviously... But it isn`t as if the option to go through a legal route was unavailable to them.

If they had escaped to Japan from North Korea or the like, I am sure I would feel quite a bit differently about their case. But to forgive and forget in their case is basically saying "Hey, don`t even bother with the official routes. If you pop a kid out here we`ll forgive you and give you residency!"

I`m sure that in the beginning they weren`t thinking all that long term about these things, but at any time along the way they could have contacted an anonymous immigration center (they exist for things like this - Japan is actually surprisingly kind to illegal immigrants who want to stop being illegal...) to attempt to avoid hurting their daughter.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.

Last edited by Nyororin : 04-15-2009 at 12:14 AM.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
rison (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-15-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesselt View Post
Its harder when you go through the right channels to get into any country.You'd be asked series of questions that must satisfy the authority who is required to stamp your visa.

on the other hand, getting fake passports, documents and the like is easier since you dont get asked any questions BUT is more expensive and it bothers on a percentage chance of whether you may be caught or not like this case you guys have been discussing.

My opinion: Extradite the parents (they most likely would be jailed in their country because of the attention this has brought) but keep the child in a foster home.

Orochimaru >>>>>Akatsuki,
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-15-2009, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
WTF? Your post looks like an opinion piece from FOX news. I think I agree with Josh for the most part.

You're pretty heartless. I really don't know much about this story but you do know that 30,000 is not a lot of money do you?

I mean people smugglers take life savings from people to get them to Australia, often selling everything they own for the voyage. 30000 dollars is not an abnormal amount of money.

You might call using the daughter for sympathy exploitation... As I said I don't know much about this particular situation... but most of the time these people are desperate to stay.
If the legal route is the only option, and you can't enter legally, then there is no option, is there?. Breaking the law is not the path to a better life. By your logic, it would be perfectly legal to steal from others if your job doesn't pay enough, after all, it's not your fault you are unskilled, is it?

There is a fine line between heartless and realistic. How much have you personally done to help the world? Have you donated your time or money to help the unskilled in poor nations? I have. I've been to Haiti, Honduras, Somalia, and Ethiopia. I've set up sanitary facilities, taught people how to purify water, and immunized countless children and adults.

What is the leading cause of poverty? Ignorance, and nothing else. What is the cure for ignorance? Education, of course. The best way to help somebody is to teach them to help themselves.

Instead of complaining about the injustices of the world, or arguing with another's opinion on the subject, you should put your money were your mouth is and do something about it. Join the Peace Corps, or some other organization, go out and see what the world is like when you put your feet on it. You'll find it much different than what you read, see, or hear at home.

Last edited by Sangetsu : 04-15-2009 at 01:56 AM.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-15-2009, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
For some reason everyone seems to think that I am referring to all immigrants.

I`m not.

I am talking about this very specific and particular case. They were not "unskilled" and did not even attempt to take the legal route. There were multiple options available for these people. But they made the choice to buy a stolen passport and come to Japan.

There are cases where perhaps exceptions should be made. This is not one of them.

I mean, even the Japanese government stated that if they`d just come to Japan on a tourist visa and overstayed it, they probably wouldn`t have been deported in the end. The option to be sponsored, etc would have been open to them. But it is crime on top of crime which has locked them out of any legal option.

I`ll save my pity for those who truly are desperate and trying to escape horrific situations. Not a couple who admits that they had a kid and raised her "Japanese" to keep them in the country if ever caught.
Fair enough...

You seem to know more about the situation.

I got the impression that you were basing your opinions on the fact that you thought 30,000 dollars = not impoverished and the fact their daughter will have to be relocated from the country she was born = exploitation for sympathy. (I really can't imagine how it could be termed exploitation... but I'll leave it at that)
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
04-15-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
I got the impression that you were basing your opinions on the fact that you thought 30,000 dollars = not impoverished and the fact their daughter will have to be relocated from the country she was born = exploitation for sympathy. (I really can't imagine how it could be termed exploitation... but I'll leave it at that)
What I am referring to as exploitation is their pushing her to appear on TV on every possible station, and making her cry left and right on these shows...
Not to mention having her go around (keeping her out of school to do this, by the way) to large train stations and cry in front of them for petitions, etc.

All while mom and dad stand behind with smiles patting each other on the backs.

As she is 13, without parental permission she cannot do any of this. I find it hard to think that it could possibly be good for her to do hundreds of tearful interviews, and as a parent cannot imagine encouraging my child to do so.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.