JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   What's wrong with Americans? (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/24517-whats-wrong-americans.html)

isisbathory 04-16-2009 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debi (Post 699018)
Who is stronger than who is pretty irrelevant.
What I wanted to point out is, you will rarely hear any modesty from the americans.

I doubt you will ever hear an american say : "Oh you know.. we are not all that powerful.. it's pretty much overrated" or whatever.

They all know they are strong, they are not modest about it.

I guess it is one of the few generality we can say about americans : Not modest.

Oh yes I get your opinion, and yes you are right.
But I also think that they actually are "so strong" because of so many nerds from other countries like china, japan, portugal, or what ever, as they dont get recognised in their own countries they go to america, and americans want those nerds, because they give (or seem to give) the so much needed power...

thcuteness 04-16-2009 10:02 PM

Im sorry but americans do tend to make themselve look stupid and lazy, I moved here from japan about two years ago, and the first thing I though was "what a bunch of morons"

MMM 04-16-2009 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debi (Post 699002)
What you can commonly hear if arguing with an american about war in Iraq :

"we are so strong, we could beat the s*** out of anyone in the world, Russia, China and all those f*** doesnt stand a chance in front of our army. If they live it's because we let them live. blablabla, american rocks, chinese sucks, blablabla"

The only Americans I hear talk like this are junior high and high school boys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debi (Post 699018)
Who is stronger than who is pretty irrelevant.
What I wanted to point out is, you will rarely hear any modesty from the americans.

I doubt you will ever hear an american say : "Oh you know.. we are not all that powerful.. it's pretty much overrated" or whatever.

They all know they are strong, they are not modest about it.

I guess it is one of the few generality we can say about americans : Not modest.

I think you are confusing America as a country and Americans as individuals.

If you want to say America the country is not modest with its power, fine. But if you mean individual American people are not modest, I don't think there is as much basis for that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thcuteness (Post 699057)
Im sorry but americans do tend to make themselve look stupid and lazy, I moved here from japan about two years ago, and the first thing I though was "what a bunch of morons"

What possible basis could you make such an inane statement like that on? Look at the work week and vacation times compared with Europe, for one.

And if you actually moved to the US from Japan and your reaction was "what a bunch of morons", please feel free to pack up your stuff and take the next plane "home".

Debi 04-16-2009 10:13 PM

Quote:

when I went in Japan I thought "What a bunch of stuck up"

fair enough.

rison 04-16-2009 10:15 PM

^^^^

They find that people just think almost aloud like "what? you Americans, how lucky you are"...then the head swell comes in.

Debi 04-16-2009 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 699060)

If you want to say America the country is not modest with its power, fine. But if you mean individual American people are not modest, I don't think there is as much basis for that.

You will VERY often hear americans say "I'm proud to be american" for whatever reasons. So no, I'm really talking about americans being the opposite of modest.

rison 04-16-2009 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 699060)

What possible basis could you make such an inane statement like that on? Look at the work week and vacation times compared with Europe, for one.

And if you actually moved to the US from Japan and your reaction was "what a bunch of morons", please feel free to pack up your stuff and take the next plane "home".

Adults also do talk like that maybe only in an educated way or when drunk.

MMM 04-16-2009 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debi (Post 699065)
You will VERY often hear americans say "I'm proud to be american" for whatever reasons. So no, I'm really talking about americans being the opposite of modest.

How does being proud of being American make you not modest or even arrogant?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rison (Post 699066)
Adults also do talk like that maybe only in an educated way or when drunk.

Not the adults I hang around with. None of them.

minimin 04-16-2009 10:30 PM

Quote:

Yeah if you hate Americans sooo much, whats the point of still being here. How do they make themselves look lazy, there are lazy, stupid people all over the world. Are you basing your opinions of ALL Americans based on the few you've seen??

komitsuki 04-16-2009 10:34 PM

What's wrong with Americans? Collectively nothing.

Now we need to ask: What in the world is wrong with American politicians, CEOs, hot shot lawyers and high-profile governmental figures who are degrading America?

Most of the times, American bigwigs are offending the average non-American people around the world.