Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
coolforcats1 (Offline)
Very Regular to JF!

Question Photography...Film or Digital? - 04-26-2009, 05:59 PM

Hello everyone!

I am currently studying Photography and recently a lot of discussions about film and digital photography are coming up.

There are a lot of debates going on whether digital will take over film photography and will kill a very much loved tradition.

It would interesting to find out what people thought of this matter.

Do you prefer film photography or digital photography? and do you think digital technology would eventually wipe out the traditional film methods?

L.O.V.E Nyappy!
カチイ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21854982@N08/
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Atakicat (Offline)
JF Nomad

Send a message via AIM to Atakicat
04-26-2009, 06:17 PM

I think it's all just personal preference, but digital is great and getting better every day, And I use it for regular, day-to-day shots..But For pretty, or intricate shots, you can't be the feel of a traditional film camera
(#3 (permalink))
Old
KikiBunny23 (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to KikiBunny23 Send a message via MSN to KikiBunny23 Send a message via Yahoo to KikiBunny23 Send a message via Skype™ to KikiBunny23
04-26-2009, 06:20 PM

I vaguely remember using a film camera but I've used digital so much, I can barely remember what it was like.

I guess since I'm so young, and that I've used digital so much, its my favorite. and there are probably always going to be people that use film cameras so no, I don't think it'll wipe it out completely.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
dirtyroboto (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-26-2009, 06:20 PM

If you are studying then it is a different matter. I would suggest for a person looking at studying this area to start with film and get a good understanding of the whole process of choosing films/cameras/lenses ect and then the processing and developing of the film. Once you understand all of this you will enjoy and benefit greatly from moving into studying the digital side.

The high end, and now even the budget end of digital cameras require a good knowledge of traditional photography to really get a good product image from the device. Most people will use a budget digital camera and get 1 shot out of 40 that is product quality. A person who has studied or knows the traditional methods will achieve at least 10-20 product shots out of 40 and then reject the worst 80% to leave some excellent shots.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
SakuraSan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to SakuraSan Send a message via Skype™ to SakuraSan
04-26-2009, 06:21 PM

I think film is slowly making a come back. I'll be getting a lomo camera soon, I can't wait. I love lomography, it's gorgeous.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Blackcatprepygirl (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Blackcatprepygirl
04-26-2009, 06:27 PM

You are right about for pretty and intricate shots to use film instead of a digital camera.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
coolforcats1 (Offline)
Very Regular to JF!

04-26-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyroboto View Post
If you are studying then it is a different matter. I would suggest for a person looking at studying this area to start with film and get a good understanding of the whole process of choosing films/cameras/lenses ect and then the processing and developing of the film. Once you understand all of this you will enjoy and benefit greatly from moving into studying the digital side.

The high end, and now even the budget end of digital cameras require a good knowledge of traditional photography to really get a good product image from the device. Most people will use a budget digital camera and get 1 shot out of 40 that is product quality. A person who has studied or knows the traditional methods will achieve at least 10-20 product shots out of 40 and then reject the worst 80% to leave some excellent shots.
I've been studying for two years
but I see what you mean ^^

L.O.V.E Nyappy!
カチイ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21854982@N08/
(#8 (permalink))
Old
reptilesandsamurai (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-26-2009, 06:35 PM

Last year I switched to a dSLR, I did have a digital point and shoot before that though. I was reluctant to make the initial investment into the Digital SLR but I'm glad I did. I think the amount I've saved in film and processing has been substantial. I like not having to worry about if I've brought enough rolls of film or having to change rolls in the middle of an action shot. I like being able to view a shot immediately after shooting it, although I know I'm going to mess up and delete all my shots instead of the one I don't like.

Reptiles have silly grins
Dark eyes--shiny teeth--some have fins
Samurai they smile never
Serious--pretty swords--very clever
(#9 (permalink))
Old
New to JF

04-26-2009, 06:40 PM

I believe its a matter of opinion to what kind of photography that a person likes to what type of camera they use. I personally like film photography than digital photography, but thats just my opinion.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
New to JF

Cool 04-26-2009, 06:44 PM

I believe its a matter of opinion to what kind of photography to what kind of camera they use. I like film photography then digital photography, but thats just my opinion.