LinkBack Thread Tools
(#61 (permalink))
Old
DSX (Offline)
I MUY LOCO!!!!

05-01-2009, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexihiperboreo View Post
in which other cases, the ninja was a shadow from who ever controled them, isn't much difference from a comon criminal, except for his highly training, but in these era there are too many trained criminals.

samurai other wise, is japan warrior for excelence.
highly trained, honor code (non violated), social example, good maners, a samurai until the day he die. he has his part on military history.

in simple words:
-ninja==criminal, cowardy
-samurai==example man, non fear
Sure, samurai were known for their code of honor, but ninja had that as well, only different. Ninjas are moreso survivalists, and not all samurai were good examples and fearless.

And besides, ninjas knew that survival on their side and death for the enemy B.A.M.N. was what mattered on the battlefield. "Honor" just makes it easier for you to get killed.

(#62 (permalink))
Old
mexihiperboreo (Offline)
New to JF

05-01-2009, 05:22 AM

from a logical way, yes.

but ninjas were not for war, like samurais.
they just some mision, durty all off them.
and samurais were prepared for all their life.
(#63 (permalink))
Old
rison (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-01-2009, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpum View Post
why so ?

the only thing i like about samurai is the sword!! - man the sword is beautiful - but remember beauty is a form of illusion - the ninjas knews this - so yes they stayed in the shadows - that is what stealth is about!

I dont buy all of that honour dignity and code hoop la la ! - i respect the man that got the job done and ninjas were oh so much more effective killing machines then samurais.

i saw a program on tv a while ago where a guy went to meet some ninjas (he was learning about martial arts) the guy in charge showed him all thsese different skills but at the end he pulled out a DESERT EAGLE and said "we adapt" !

that is why ninjas are cooler than samurais ! F*** pride just kill your opponent

Remember this guy?

Orochimaru >>>>>Akatsuki,
(#64 (permalink))
Old
XDemianu27X (Offline)
ハブ酒

05-01-2009, 07:13 AM

Samurai were experts in many different weapons. The large sword is for ceremonial purposes.

So if you think Ninja's are better because they have more "tools" or whatever, you're wrong.
(#65 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-01-2009, 04:17 PM

Whether you think ninja's were "cooler" than Samurai simply depends on your taste.

The shroud of mystery surrounding ninja history and tactics is luring to some while the romanticized portrayal of the Samurai is luring to others.

I actually prefer ninja... in pop culture and folklore... ninja had magic powers.
(#66 (permalink))
Old
kMal (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Skype™ to kMal
05-01-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpum View Post
or another way of looking at it is :

-ninja==criminal, cowardy = ALIVE - WINNER
-samurai==example man, non fear = DEAD - LOSER SSSSSSS !! feel it burn baby !!
I think when a Samurai would be challenged by a Ninja, the Ninja would be put away for good. The Samurai are true masters of harmony in battle.

Ninja = dead, because of the betrayal by a fellow Ninja or because of a dangerous mission which is based on money, rather than it's own and other people's wellbeing. No one gives credit to these cowards.

Samurai = powerful, honorable and long-term value committed masters, oblivious of fear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Samurai_by_rodolfotroll.jpg (39.8 KB, 25 views)

music reflects the soul of the man

Last edited by kMal : 05-01-2009 at 06:51 PM. Reason: attachment
(#67 (permalink))
Old
DSX (Offline)
I MUY LOCO!!!!

05-01-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kMal View Post
I think when a Samurai would be challenged by a Ninja, the Ninja would be put away for good. The Samurai are true masters of harmony in battle.

Ninja = dead, because of the betrayal by a fellow Ninja or because of a dangerous mission which is based on money, rather than it's own and other people's wellbeing. No one gives credit to these cowards.

Samurai = powerful, honorable and long-term value committed masters, oblivious of fear.
No, if the ninja came ready, it would be a done deal unless the samurai was QUICK with reflexes, or if the ninja was slow. Ninjas use the unexpected, as I've said before. One on one, unless one or both of those factors I mentioned before were in play, the samurai would most likely die without interference, especially if disarmed, because they weren't taught any form of hand-to-hand or hand-to-weapon.

I can agree with that betrayal thing if it was a war. And again, not all samurai were honorable, committed, or oblivious of fear.

(#68 (permalink))
Old
kMal (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Skype™ to kMal
05-01-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX View Post
No, if the ninja came ready, it would be a done deal unless the samurai was QUICK with reflexes, or if the ninja was slow. Ninjas use the unexpected, as I've said before. One on one, unless one or both of those factors I mentioned before were in play, the samurai would most likely die without interference, especially if disarmed, because they weren't taught any form of hand-to-hand or hand-to-weapon.

I can agree with that betrayal thing if it was a war. And again, not all samurai were honorable, committed, or oblivious of fear.
That's the point. Most Samurai had/have fast reflexes.

music reflects the soul of the man
(#69 (permalink))
Old
DSX (Offline)
I MUY LOCO!!!!

05-01-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kMal View Post
That's the point. Most Samurai had/have fast reflexes.
But still, ninjas have tactics. Nothing can save you if the enemy knows how to work around your strengths.

(#70 (permalink))
Old
Debi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-01-2009, 11:40 PM

That is an interesting debate.

If you don't care, I'd like to give my own insight on the topic.

About samurai.

There seems to be a lot of stereotypes and misconception about what is really a samurai.

First, samurai are an hereditary class. You don't become samurai, you are born samurai. So it mean there was all kind of samurais. That also mean there was also some very weak samurai.

The vision of the fearless and virtuous samurai who would commit seppuku after a defeat is pretty much the supreme ideal of what a samurai should be.
In fact, only a minority of samurai would be like that.

Whoever said samurai were praised is wrong. They were feared and respected because of they power and their superior social class
Of course, some were praised for their righteous virtue, but in overall they were considered as arrogants by the lower classes and not so very liked.

The Samurai code, the Bushido, was part of the samurai education. They were told all the virtues they had to follow; loyalty, honor, courage, ect.

It doesn't mean they were all following that code perfectly.
For exemple, while loyalty is the most important of the bushido virtue, there were lots of betrayal and side switching during the Warring states period.
Also, the bushido was saying that if a samurai became lordless, he should immediately commit seppuku. But after major battles where a clan was destroyed, most of the samurai who fought for that clan in fact turned Ronin.

Hara kiri was more a way to preserve oneself honor when he failed or did a mistake. In a situation where there was no other choice, a samurai would prefer to kill himself than to live in the disgrace of everyone. It was also a way to preserve the name of the family.

Of course some were more virtuous than others but in overall, the code was more like a line of conduct than established rules to follow.

Some people think that samurai were fighting only with swords.
The fact is that every samurai had to wear the 2 swords (Daisho) but they fought with a lot of different weapons in battle.
Spear, Pike, Naginata, Bo, Bow, Flail, even Musquet. And a lots more.
Of course a lot of them were fighting with their swords but not all of them.

I could say a lot more but i guess that's enough.

As for the ninja, I'll leave the topic to someone else

Jaa !

Gimme a stick and I'll make a masterpiece out of it, go figure.

Last edited by Debi : 05-01-2009 at 11:58 PM.