LinkBack Thread Tools
(#81 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-21-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
If I had been told at the time it was given that it was cubic zirconia, it would have been fine. There is as much to the gesture as the object.

But to find out years later that I had been lied to, especially about something I had thought so special? The man better have armor or steer clear of me for a while. The issue is the deception, not the value of the object.
Not a problem for me then with plenty of armour

Joking aside, that was exactly what my Father did.

he went to the UK, my Mother asked him for some diamond earings, he brought her back white gold one full carat left and right earings.

A few years later, she was in a jewellery store and the jeweller asked if he could have a look.

Under the Maggy glass, and OOPS!! They were cubic Ziconias

My Mother flushed them down the dunny

She felt so proud of those earings which just goes to show, they look the bloody same!

Cheers - Oz
(#82 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
05-21-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkai View Post
Not a problem for me then with plenty of armour

Joking aside, that was exactly what my Father did.

he went to the UK, my Mother asked him for some diamond earings, he brought her back white gold one full carat left and right earings.

A few years later, she was in a jewellery store and the jeweller asked if he could have a look.

Under the Maggy glass, and OOPS!! They were cubic Ziconias

My Mother flushed them down the dunny

She felt so proud of those earings which just goes to show, they look the bloody same!
I can understand her reaction - humiliation and anger make you do things in haste.

But I would have kept them and wore them. There is nothing wrong with good fakes, as long as they are only said to be what they really are. I have several pieces that are one or the other, and I like them equally well depending on what I am wearing and where I am going.

And just because they were fake does not mean that your father knew it all along, only that he definitely didn't deal with a reputable jeweler (Dumb when buying gems!).

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#83 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-24-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
And just because they were fake does not mean that your father knew it all along, only that he definitely didn't deal with a reputable jeweler (Dumb when buying gems!).
he knew it

That's my Dad

Cheers - Oz