JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

Question Japanese Schools & Personal Development - 05-21-2009, 05:50 AM

I've never known this.

Do schools in Japan teach students about Personal Development?

I found that kids in Japan tend to know a great deal about the subject, even from a young age which I think is a good thing in some respects.

We had a subject named PD when I was apaproximately 12 years old and in Australian sixth class.

It was a fun class for obvious reasons learning all about hormones, and what happens to our bodies as we grow, suffice to say no more.

I think the topic tends to be slightly more taboo in Western Culture, and that was proven a few days ago on the Facer thread, although changing pages to the Cosplay photos, really seems to contradict the idea..

The human body is an amazing machine and having been through my child's birth, and learning a lot through pre natal classes, It really opened my eyes to the amazing works of the human anatomy, although at the same time being human, makes us one of the most dependant animals on this planet from birth.

Cheers - Oz
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

05-21-2009, 06:21 AM

We have it in school and have done for as long as I can remember, we have Citizenship, Health and Social, PSHE [Personal and Social Health Education]... The general consesus is that Citizenship and PSHE is a doss, or a waste of time because when we start it we have GCSEs, nobody cares about the exam and talking about such topics with a teacher is embarrassing. And everyone who doesn't do Health and Social thinks it's a doss subject for chavs, generally.

So er, yeah, we do have it, it's not taboo, kids just generally think it's a load of rubbish. I mean generally here, some people may see value in it but I never found 'em. It's more the way they teach it than anything I think... A classroom environment full of people you don't always get on with is probably not the best thing.

I personally think these things should be taught at home, though I realise not all parents are responsible. So we should just go about it in another way.

As for Japan, however, I don't know. Just some background info from England for ya
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

05-21-2009, 06:34 AM

You lived in AUS too? I must have sounded stupid, talking to you about the crocs -- like you didn't know.

On topic... Are you referring to Sex Education? I was lectured about my body at around 4th grade (9-years-old), in USA. And I learned about the other functions of the body in High School. Or are you talking about something else?

In either case, I agree, we are the most dependent creatures on this planet.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-21-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
We have it in school and have done for as long as I can remember, we have Citizenship, Health and Social, PSHE [Personal and Social Health Education]... The general consesus is that Citizenship and PSHE is a doss, or a waste of time because when we start it we have GCSEs, nobody cares about the exam and talking about such topics with a teacher is embarrassing. And everyone who doesn't do Health and Social thinks it's a doss subject for chavs, generally.

So er, yeah, we do have it, it's not taboo, kids just generally think it's a load of rubbish. I mean generally here, some people may see value in it but I never found 'em. It's more the way they teach it than anything I think... A classroom environment full of people you don't always get on with is probably not the best thing.

I personally think these things should be taught at home, though I realise not all parents are responsible. So we should just go about it in another way.

As for Japan, however, I don't know. Just some background info from England for ya
Sounds much the same here..

But I am guessing you are older than 12 so imagine at that age how embarassing it would be..

The teacher could also be a factor..

I agree parents should teach it. My generation, I will definitely be explaining to my son, and no doubt when you get their, your generation will be even more fourthcoming.

Cheers - Oz
(#5 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-21-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydelart View Post
You lived in AUS too? I must have sounded stupid, talking to you about the crocs -- like you didn't know.

On topic... Are you referring to Sex Education? I was lectured about my body at around 4th grade (9-years-old), in USA. And I learned about the other functions of the body in High School. Or are you talking about something else?

In either case, I agree, we are the most dependent creatures on this planet.
I guess in a nutshell, sex education would be part of, although not all..

It also had a lot to do with puberty and growing up..

Correction on my reply to Misa.. My parenst actually bought my sis and I a book, can't remember the name but something like "What is happening to me".

Cheers - Oz