JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

The current rule about religious talks. - 05-22-2009, 06:02 PM

Firstly, I don't want a discussion about religion in here. I want to discuss the rule on JF that stops us from talking about religion.

What do you think of the rule and why?

Personally, I would like it lifted, because like it or not religion tends to weaves itself into any topic these days. It's a link we cannot ignore, and not discussing it severely limits what a discussion can become.

Now, I am aware that people become agitated when arguing about religion, but I'd like to remind everyone that whenever there is a discussion, it always becomes some sort of angered debate anyways. Surely a discussion of religion can be had without it becoming violent, and if it DOES become violent, then simply ask the people to calm down, or you'll temp. ban them.

Religion is a part of every day life, and simply ignoring that fact when discussion certainly handicaps certain arguments.

Also, I'd appreciate if this thread is kept open. Since, it's not against the rules to talk about 'talking about religion'. (Think I said that wrong, but it's quite confusing. I'm sure you get it) So as long as this thread does not become about a discussion about religions themselves, lets keep it open and get feedback from the intelligent members of the forum.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

05-22-2009, 06:09 PM

This thread may prove to be so byzantingly self-referential it will become a moebius loop visible from space.

"Let's talk about why we can't talk about something by talking about that same something but not in a way that causes problems for the forum and members even though talking about what we want to talk about isn't strictly forbidden by forum rules, which works quite well but doesn't stop us making threads to talk about something by talking about that same something..."

Guh.

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#3 (permalink))
Old
ThuMpeR (Offline)
T'aa hwo' aji t'eego :D

Send a message via MSN to ThuMpeR
05-22-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
What do you think of the rule and why?
When one of these topics pop up, it always tends to turn into a full-fledged flame war. I don't really mind it. I'll give it a read, but sooner or later, certain individuals enter and cause all sorts of trouble.

(#4 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

05-22-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
This thread may prove to be so byzantingly self-referential it will become a moebius loop visible from space.

"Let's talk about why we can't talk about something by talking about that same something but not in a way that causes problems for the forum and members even though talking about what we want to talk about isn't strictly forbidden by forum rules, which works quite well but doesn't stop us making threads to talk about something by talking about that same something..."

Guh.
Well. To put it simply.

Just don't talk about religion in the thread, and instead discuss the rule.

Quote:
When one of these topics pop up, it always tends to turn into a full-fledged flame war. I don't really mind it. I'll give it a read, but sooner or later, certain individuals enter and cause all sorts of trouble.
*Grins* What discussion doesn't turn into a flame war?

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

05-22-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas View Post
Grins* What discussion doesn't turn into a flame war?
Not the one in this thread, at least. Which is the issue here, come to think about it.

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#6 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
05-22-2009, 06:19 PM

When I see this rule

Quote:
3.3 Initiation of and taking part in flame wars, sowing discord and deliberately annoying other members is not welcomed and will result in administrative action
I don't get the reason behind the religion rule.

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
ThuMpeR (Offline)
T'aa hwo' aji t'eego :D

Send a message via MSN to ThuMpeR
05-22-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas View Post

*Grins* What discussion doesn't turn into a flame war?
True. Even the facer isn't immune to flaming lol.

(#8 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
05-22-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThuMpeR View Post
True. Even the facer isn't immune to flaming lol.
Yea, though that is because some people can't accept critics and think JF allows only compliments.

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

05-22-2009, 06:33 PM

It's tough, for me.

On one hand, I like to debate religion when it's kept reasonably respectful. A good debate can have a lot of positive effects on the individuals as well as the general community.

However, on the other hand, it only takes one person to take their rhetoric too far for the snowball effect to occur. And that's where my experience as a forum mod kicks in.

The basic responsibility for a mod is to prevent flaming (obviously). And while this naturally means constantly weeding out bad posts and posters, precautions are also supposed to be made to avoid running into the same problems repeatedly. Approximately 8 out of 10 religious debates end badly when left alone. Taking this into mind, it would be logical to limit people's discussion of the topic.

I'm on the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas
Grins* What discussion doesn't turn into a flame war?
If we're speaking loosely, you're right. However, there is a point where certain things become too detrimental to the community to simply allow. Otherwise, why have mods around to begin with?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-22-2009, 07:25 PM

Religion has started most of the wars in history. They don't want a war here.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!