LinkBack Thread Tools
(#51 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-14-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post
Like I said he didn't attack you at all, he merely stated you could have came up with a better example to get your point across. It seems someones too sensitive and they take disagreements as 'attacks' to them.
lol, he didn't say that at all. If he had, then I don't think it would've been bullying at all.

I also said that it was an attempt. I didn't feel emotionally attacked because it was such a petty attack. However, I do suggest that you take a moment to look inside of yourself. Perhaps for this entire thread, you've felt a little attacked or put down for the stereotypical comment you made - and perhaps it's for that reason that you now feel like you need to try to put me down as "too sensitive" in a negative connotation.

Just a suggestion.

LOVE: pass it on
(#52 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

07-14-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Since you mentioned my first post, I'll give another example of what happened today in class. One of my students called another student fat while they were in an argument. (He is pretty overweight.) That, I think, is bullying. Even if it was an isolated insult, it immediately degraded him in front of the entire class.
I'd just like to jump in here, and explain why this is different than an isolated insult. This insult, in turn, would pull attention to this child and his weight, and the chances that from that point he would be bullied for his weight is a high chance.

This is different from having an argument between two people, and throwing an insult.

Quote:
Salvanas: There are some examples of why degrading another person is bullying in this article: Gabriel: Introduction to the Social Psychology of Insults in Organizations
I'll read it when I have the time and patience.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#53 (permalink))
Old
JayT (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-14-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
lol, he didn't say that at all. If he had, then I don't think it would've been bullying at all.

I also said that it was an attempt. I didn't feel emotionally attacked because it was such a petty attack. However, I do suggest that you take a moment to look inside of yourself. Perhaps for this entire thread, you've felt a little attacked or put down for the stereotypical comment you made - and perhaps it's for that reason that you now feel like you need to try to put me down as "too sensitive" in a negative connotation.

Just a suggestion.
So I'm putting you down also now?
I see. You were the one that made the comment that darks comment was degrading to you. I was just giving my opinion on what you said. It's not like I just randomly shot that out.

[<--Nan's heart!]

(#54 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-14-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas View Post

I'd just like to jump in here, and explain why this is different than an isolated insult. This insult, in turn, would pull attention to this child and his weight, and the chances that from that point he would be bullied for his weight is a high chance.

This is different from having an argument between two people, and throwing an insult.

I'll read it when I have the time and patience.
That I'm saying is that she was throwing an insult during an argument. I think that, because of that, a thrown insult can be a form of bullying.

This is a forum, open to the entire Internet. Therefore, if someone were to say, "You're an idiot," then it's open for thousands of people to read. If I felt hurt by that statement, then it's possible that I could feel humiliated because of the chance that so many people could read what was said to me. To me, it's the same thing.

(#55 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-14-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post
So I'm putting you down also now?
I see. You were the one that made the comment that darks comment was degrading to you. I was just giving my opinion on what you said. It's not like I just randomly shot that out.
Okay. It's fine that you have that opinion. What I'm suggesting to you is to look at why you added the last statement. It was more of a statement showing your opinion of me personally, rather than what I said, you know? That's all I'm saying.

(#56 (permalink))
Old
Barone1551 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-14-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Plenty of people have been shot. Ronald Reagan was shot. Is Ronald Reagan a thug?

Yes, it happened to him, but most artists pull in from their personal experiences for inspiration. He raps about selling drugs, but he isn't doing that anymore. Because he isn't doing that anymore, he's not a criminal. He's not a thug.

He is influencing most of today's youth, so that kids will think that it's fun to pretend to be a thug. That definitely doesn't mean that they are thugs.
Ok I think this is comparing apples and oranges. I dont think JayT was trying to state that anyone who is shot is a thug. I kind of see where they are coming from with 50. He uses being shot to act hard and like a "thug". Whether of not he is a "real" thug, he still acts like a thug. I know what your staying he isn't really a thug. As he dealt drugs as a kid. I think people can change and people can make a new image for themselves. But he hasnt tried to change his image completely. He still tries to hold on to the fact that at one point in his life he dealt drugs, and was shot and was a criminal. He often brags about it. There are many people who are influence by him, and he doesnt exactly state that he was a thug and isnt anymore and that it is wrong to do crime. He influences people to become thugs like he was, so how do you draw the line between someone who is acting like a thug, and someone who is a real thug. Do you wait for something bad to happen before you realize, hey this person is a real thug. I will say that it does involve stereotyping when you see people dressed a certain way, and you assume they are a thug. It doesn't make stereotyping them ok but sometimes it is necessary. Especially if you don't know that person personally. I think it is inexcusable if you don't allow your opinion to change about people if you get to know them better. Its hard not to stereotype the "thug" movement or look, because it is a movement that does involve, and even praises violence. Not all people are thugs. Thugs can be from all different races and ethnicity. But "thug" is a popular term used in rap, and has become synonymous with rap. The two do go together, and is becoming less of a way of describing a criminal in general, and glorified as a whole way of life. It is used to define a whole genre of rap and style. This is due to stereotypes, but its hard to deny that the word has changed some of its meaning. Its unfortunate because there are many artists out there who are not "thugs".

The King wore a crown. Now he is the king of kings.
(#57 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

07-14-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
This is a forum, open to the entire Internet. Therefore, if someone were to say, "You're an idiot," then it's open for thousands of people to read. If I felt hurt by that statement, then it's possible that I could feel humiliated because of the chance that so many people could read what was said to me. To me, it's the same thing.
To me, that sounds like something an overly sensitive person would feel. The internet is not for people like them.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#58 (permalink))
Old
JayT (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-14-2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barone1551 View Post
Ok I think this is comparing apples and oranges. I dont think JayT was trying to state that anyone who is shot is a thug. I kind of see where they are coming from with 50. He uses being shot to act hard and like a "thug". Whether of not he is a "real" thug, he still acts like a thug. I know what your staying he isn't really a thug. As he dealt drugs as a kid. I think people can change and people can make a new image for themselves. But he hasnt tried to change his image completely. He still tries to hold on to the fact that at one point in his life he dealt drugs, and was shot and was a criminal. He often brags about it. There are many people who are influence by him, and he doesnt exactly state that he was a thug and isnt anymore and that it is wrong to do crime. He influences people to become thugs like he was, so how do you draw the line between someone who is acting like a thug, and someone who is a real thug. Do you wait for something bad to happen before you realize, hey this person is a real thug. I will say that it does involve stereotyping when you see people dressed a certain way, and you assume they are a thug. It doesn't make stereotyping them ok but sometimes it is necessary. Especially if you don't know that person personally. I think it is inexcusable if you don't allow your opinion to change about people if you get to know them better. Its hard not to stereotype the "thug" movement or look, because it is a movement that does involve, and even praises violence. Not all people are thugs. Thugs can be from all different races and ethnicity. But "thug" is a popular term used in rap, and has become synonymous with rap. The two do go together, and is becoming less of a way of describing a criminal in general, and glorified as a whole way of life. It is used to define a whole genre of rap and style. This is due to stereotypes, but its hard to deny that the word has changed some of its meaning. Its unfortunate because there are many artists out there who are not "thugs".
Thank you. You've managed to write what I was pretty much trying to state, It's just that I haven't had lunch and I don't have the energy to put all my feelings into text

[<--Nan's heart!]

(#59 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-14-2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastFortnight View Post
An insult is an insult, it doesn't matter how "strong" it is, of course if it means a lot for the victim it can have similar effects to bullying.

I don't understand if you're trying to discuss about the bad effects of bullying someone or trying to turn it into something that it isn't. Bullying is an repetitive act in order to gain control over someone, making the person feel down and isolated.
So... an insult and bullying has the same effects. They both degrade a person and both make a person feel like they've gotten control over another. But they're not the same thing.

I disagree with that. Bullying doesn't have to be a repetitive act. When I was in elementary school, I got the shit beat out of me. Only once, at the end of the year. I wasn't physically attacked over and over again. That one time I was attacked, though, was still me getting bullied by a group of girls that decided they didn't like me. I was not only physically abused, but emotionally abused also. To me, if someone were to say even once something so hurtful that I felt emotionally abused, then - like the time I was beat up - it will only take one time to do the damage. To me, that's bullying.

(#60 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-14-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas View Post

To me, that sounds like something an overly sensitive person would feel. The internet is not for people like them.
Overly sensitive people exist. Most people like that hide on the Internet so that they won't have to face people in real life, for fear of being hurt. Overly sensitive people get their feelings hurt, just like unemotional people do. It doesn't mean their feelings don't matter, right? It doesn't mean that they can't be bullied.