(#21 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-13-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
People of African descent, however...

We've essentially been destroyed. I'm not trying to play the "who was more of a victim?" game. It's just a fact.
You act like black people, or of African descent (which no longer makes sense since I met a white African the other day), were the only race ever enslaved. There are still slaves of all races to this day. And unless you are still a slave, you have the same opportunities as I do in America and thanks to "Affirmative Action" in some cases better than others. So how have you been destroyed? Again, we all make our own opportunities.

Quote:
"Nigger" just tends to heave up a hell of a lot more painful history that other ethnic slurs, simply because black people have had more of a painful history than other races.

I think that the Black Power Movement may have made that clear, and so that's usually why - for people who find the word offensive, anyway - people tend to have such a violent reaction.
I don't think their history is more painful than others, they just choose to keep reminding everyone of it. Why is it OK for a black person to use the "N" word but if a white does it they are a racist? It would be better if we just left the history in the past and everyone quit playing the victim game and quit using all racial slurs.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#22 (permalink))
Old
JackIsLost (Offline)
Wanderer

Send a message via AIM to JackIsLost
08-13-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Oh, that's good to know. Not that I'd ever use it. :/ I wasn't saying it was Japanese or Chinese, though. I was just saying that, based on my knowledge of Japanese and Chinese history in America, people with Asian backgrounds haven't had it easy in the USA.

Both should be considered just as terrible, yes. In my book, they are equally bad. I'm just telling you why, socially, people tend to think that "nigger" is worst.
i agree, people do think nigger is the most terrible slur out there. yet it's in music and everyday "gangsta" greeting everybody uses. it's evolved into the unknown to who can and can't use it

うんこ漏らした。

my gun is bigger than your gun
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-13-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
I'm so happy you posted. Can we talk about why the word "negro" is offensive, please?

Rewind: 1960s, when "colored" and "negro" was used casually in day-to-day life. My mother is from this era, and she grew up using the word "negro." She also grew up in a time when she couldn't use the same water fountains or bathrooms or go to the same schools as white children.

That was then. To call another person a "negro" brings in the idea that the person is inferior, and shouldn't be able to use water fountains or bathrooms or go to the same schools as white people. To say that I'm a negro takes me back to "then," when I didn't have the same rights - when people didn't think I should have the same rights.

Now, I do. Now I'm (basically) seen as an equal human being. I'm black, a person of African descent. To say I'm a "negro" is extremely offensive and derogatory, and it's not just me and my paranoia. It's a cultural thing, across the USA. (Except for wherever it is the KKK and the Neo-Nazis dwell.)

Okay. I just had to get that off of my chest. I personally don't think that it's a bad thing a word comes with historic connotations, and that its meaning can be changed over the generations. I personally wouldn't want to be referred to as a nigger. While at one point it was used to refer to the entire black population, originally it was a white slave owner's little pet.

I'm not a white slave owner's little pet.
I agree entirely on "nigger" as there really is no place it can be used without being offensive...

However, about "negro" - I think you should contact these places, apparently they haven`t received the bulletin.

UNCF
The Official Universal Negro Improvement Association and African Communities League Website
African American Women's Organization | National Council of Negro Women | NCNW
National Association of Negro Musicians, Inc. Official Website
National Association of Negro Business & Professional Women's Clubs, Inc. | A Mighty River

And those are just the first Google page.

I agree that the term "negro" can be and often is used in a derogatory manner. However, I disagree that it is always meant to be so - if that were the case these would be horrible groups!
I took the action I saw fit (contacting the user) in regard to the term`s use. The end.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-13-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsLost View Post
i agree, people do think nigger is the most terrible slur out there. yet it's in music and everyday "gangsta" greeting everybody uses. it's evolved into the unknown to who can and can't use it
If you're black you can use it. If you're another race you're a dead man.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Quailboy (Offline)
Been Here Too Long

Send a message via AIM to Quailboy Send a message via MSN to Quailboy Send a message via Yahoo to Quailboy Send a message via Skype™ to Quailboy
08-13-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsLost View Post
I believe its really fucked up, its seems that some people take serious offence to it and some others really dont, as seen is hip-hop/rap music ect. the term "nigger' isn't being used though. Thats what I've failed to see mentioned in this thread. "Nigga" what what is being used, and in completely different sence(sp?) I have some black friends(I dont give a shit if you think its politicly incorrect) and we joke around with it, 'nigga this, nigga that" but in the end of the day, we both know that theres no problem with "nigga" being said. Thats just one side though, then you have people that dont like the word, I respect that, and just call them by their names. Not a big deal/.

tl;dr
double standards exist in this country, fucking deal with it people.

You haven't dug your hole too deep until it's killed you
(#26 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
08-13-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuusuke View Post
being black

I feel thats a terrible word all together, I don't use it, or if it slips out I feel bad. It's really a degrading term. It wasn't used as a term of endearment originally....and now we (black people) take it and use it. and it's everywhere in the media >.>
music N word this and that >.>
And what is really worse as now it's spreads, now hispanics use it (in my town) and it's just not right.
As a black, I don't see the point of it either. I'm pretty much the same. I do feel bad if it "slips out". Anyway, I still don't get how using a word that was meant to degrade can be used as a word of endearment. You don't hear Japanese American's calling themselves "Japs" or Hispanics calling themselves "Spics" or other groups of people using words meant to be degrading.

I just find the entire thing stupid, and even though those of the past used it, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt due to the 'brainwashing' that they endured, but no one should be using it now.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
08-13-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobora View Post
I though that only black people (can i say that) were allowed to say that word
Sure you can. I don't get why people are so hung up on the term "black" anyway. I mean, there's nothing wrong with it. Black or "African American" sounds fine to me, although I prefer black since there's no guarantee that my ancestors actually came from Africa.

Last edited by SSJup81 : 08-13-2009 at 08:00 PM.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-13-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I agree entirely on "nigger" as there really is no place it can be used without being offensive...

However, about "negro" - I think you should contact these places, apparently they haven`t received the bulletin.

UNCF
The Official Universal Negro Improvement Association and African Communities League Website
African American Women's Organization | National Council of Negro Women | NCNW
National Association of Negro Musicians, Inc. Official Website
National Association of Negro Business & Professional Women's Clubs, Inc. | A Mighty River

And those are just the first Google page.

I agree that the term "negro" can be and often is used in a derogatory manner. However, I disagree that it is always meant to be so - if that were the case these would be horrible groups!
I took the action I saw fit (contacting the user) in regard to the term`s use. The end.
Please don't take this as me trying to bring up that other discussion. I'm not. I'm over that. I'm actually a little bored by it now. I just really want to make sure that people understand that the word "negro" is offensive. I don't even mean it in a mean way either. I just wouldn't want anyone to go around, using the word "negro", and then get punched in the face for it.

As for the groups, those are historical groups. Their names are symbolic of the positive change and progress that's been made. Their names show history. There's already been a lot of debate over the names, and whether they should be changed or not. The groups you see there refused to change it.

To me, it's kind of like the idea that people can't read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn or To Kill a Mockingbird because there are ethnic slurs used in them. Those books preserve American history and are symbols of race relations today in America. They both freely use the words "nigger", but I don't find that offensive because they were written in a time when "nigger" was acceptable. They're available today because it's something that we can learn from. I feel the same way about the NAACP, UNCF, etc.

LOVE: pass it on
(#29 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

08-13-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
I'm so happy you posted. Can we talk about why the word "negro" is offensive, please?

Rewind: 1960s, when "colored" and "negro" was used casually in day-to-day life. My mother is from this era, and she grew up using the word "negro." She also grew up in a time when she couldn't use the same water fountains or bathrooms or go to the same schools as white children.

That was then. To call another person a "negro" brings in the idea that the person is inferior, and shouldn't be able to use water fountains or bathrooms or go to the same schools as white people. To say that I'm a negro takes me back to "then," when I didn't have the same rights - when people didn't think I should have the same rights.
To be honest, I don't see much wrong with the word "negro". I always thought that the term just meant "black" in general. I know if I heard someone use it, I wouldn't view it as its being degrading, just very dated and just shows what time period that person grew up in. My grandmother still uses the term "colored".

Either way, I see where you're coming from.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
Quailboy (Offline)
Been Here Too Long

Send a message via AIM to Quailboy Send a message via MSN to Quailboy Send a message via Yahoo to Quailboy Send a message via Skype™ to Quailboy
08-13-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Oh, after reading the rules a little more closely, I realized that it's definitely against the rules. Also, the OP uses the word "nigger" on page 9.

(Sorry to post about this twice.)

The only use of "nigger" is in reply to a specific question you asked - it`s not being used in an offensive manner. I don`t see the need for "negroes" in the first post, but it is NOT being used as an insulting way. When it is used as such, or if anyone decides to toss around insults, I will take action. - Nyororin

Just to quote the rules in the General Discussion:

"2.2 Racism, sexism and cultural intolerance of any form or shape is forbidden. Usage of terms such as "Japs" and "Niggers" will not be tolerated and will result in a ban."

There isn't much detail given about whether it ought to be considered offensive to you, as a mod, or to me, as a member. To me, as a member, it IS offensive. In addition, the rules say that if the terms are used, they will result in a ban. The words were used. I would like to see a fair result.

I'm kind of hoping that another mod, a mod that hasn't had any arguments with me in the past, would look into this issue and deal with it fairly...

As I said, when the word is directed at someone in an intolerant way, action will be taken. The statement "The word Jap was used to insult people." would not be something that deserved a banning, even though it uses the word. Now if someone were actually CALLING someone that, then appropriate action would be taken. It has nothing to do with how I or anyone else thinks of you, or any exchanges in the past. Please check 6.1 in the rules if you cannot accept my judgement without something in writing. - Nyororin

To quote, once again:

"What's up, negros?"

There. He called me a negro. He called everyone a negro. If he meant it as a joke, I personally don't find that very funny.

I wonder how this would be handled if someone said, "What's up, Japs?"

I really would like some other mods' opinions on the issue.

I doubt that mine is the opinion you are looking for, but I agree 100% with Nyororin. Talking about the word and using the word in an offensive way are two different things. -MMM
Considering I cant chat about it in the thread it was posted in.

Stop being butthurt, you annoy too many people by doing so, suck it up, theres worse things on the internet, trust me.

Talk to the KKK and tell me the word negro is meant to be used as an offensive term while used in an intelligent conversation.

You haven't dug your hole too deep until it's killed you
Closed Thread