(#11 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-17-2009, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJ View Post
Quoted for truth.

The term you're looking for is "weaboo". If you act like a maniac and slobber every time you see an animoo or mango character, you fall into that category. If you just like the culture and want to learn more, I think you're safe.
Ugh.. that is hardly a dictionary term with an agreed upon definition. It's a derogatory term (that I've only heard in America) and can be aimed at anyone who has a slight interest in Japan.

I ceased to use such terms like Weaboo and Wapanese (I have used such terms on this site before) when I discovered that the definition I gave it is not the way it is commonly used. Typically, the people who use these terms are ignorant white people that believe (either consciously or sub-consciously) that Western culture is superior to Japanese culture.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
maninhat (Offline)
JF Regular

08-17-2009, 02:23 AM

thank you all for the feedback it's really helping me :3

just some more loose ends to tie up:

taking into consideration that i have never lived in japan or even been there, i still think i have a good idea of the culture. I didn't get my information from anime or manga as i am not really that into either of them. We have to research soooo much about japan in the class at school. Plus, my japanese friends' parents were almost all born in japan, and -most- of them are cool about me coming over and learning about them. (in return i've had my friend sakurako -who went back to japan :'(- over to my house for gnocchi many times lol)

also, although i have considered living in japan many times, it is not my dream. i have big hopes for myself, and i think i need to get some of those things sorted out before i make any huuuge decisions on that. but my answer now is hell yeah to any possible vacations there ^_^

once again, thank you guys for your helpppp
(#13 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
08-17-2009, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Ugh.. that is hardly a dictionary term with an agreed upon definition. It's a derogatory term (that I've only heard in America) and can be aimed at anyone who has a slight interest in Japan.

I ceased to use such terms like Weaboo and Wapanese (I have used such terms on this site before) when I discovered that the definition I gave it is not the way it is commonly used. Typically, the people who use these terms are ignorant white people that believe (either consciously or sub-consciously) that Western culture is superior to Japanese culture.
Urban Dictionary: weeaboo

I think you'll find it has very little to do with cultural imperialism. Also, it has nothing to do with white people; I wonder why you would make a comment like that? Why "ignorant white people"? I should warn you that that comment sounds pretty off-color.

I feel RKitagawa's definition is pretty spot on. Though I fear they've run into far too many a screaming fanboy/girl, and as such have my sympathies

From the OP's last post, I think it's pretty clear that this is not the case and we have a genuine case of cultural interest. I think it isn't difficult to grasp why so many would be skeptical on this board of such a thing existing, no?

OP: Do your thang and don't worry about what the natives feel! You seem to have your head screwed on tight and your heart in the right place, so who would you possibly be hurting by seeking out information and exploring your interests? There will always be the ignorant and the racist, and they're the ones you need not pay any heed!

Also I want to point out to you that you aren't a gaijin. In your case, your Japanese friends and their families are the "gaijin", being as how they are the foreigners in this situation. As you probably know, "gaijin" is a contraction of "gaikokujin", which means "foreign person". It's more often than not a derogatory term, and much like the term "otaku", it's not advisable to brand yourself as one.

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#14 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)

08-17-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:

I think you'll find it has very little to do with cultural imperialism. Also, it has nothing to do with white people;
The etymology of weeaboo is merely a tongue-in-cheek reference to something extremely obscure from a dark-humorous webcomic entry. It's not really a serious word.

*brings my spanking paddle*

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

08-17-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:

I think you'll find it has very little to do with cultural imperialism. Also, it has nothing to do with white people; I wonder why you would make a comment like that? Why "ignorant white people"? I should warn you that that comment sounds pretty off-color.
You do realise that urban dictionary is not actually a dictionary.

But whatever... perhaps I'm wrong about the definition of Weeabo. Wapanese is still definitely offensive though and implies that there is something inferior about Japan which makes associating with it something to be derided. (I believe this term stems from the word Wigger which is a derogatory term for a white person who associates with closely with black people.)

And by "ignorant white people" I meant particular white people whom happen to be ignorant.. I didn't mean that all white people were ignorant. And the reason I said it because Wapanese and other taunts which are directed at people with an interest in Japan tend to come from white people in my experience... of course you are correct in pointing out that it does not necessarily mean that such behaviour is limited to white people.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

08-17-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:

That's the first time I hear something like that. It really depends on the person who uses it, and ignorance does play it's part here. But the same thing can be said about any term used today. As it becomes popular people just throw it at anyone without bothering to check what it really means, thus why such problems occur.
I, personally use it at people who see Japan as some kind of wonderland, but don't really know anything about it except anime, J-Rock and manga, and it has got nothing to do with Western culture being superior.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

08-17-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maninhat View Post
(well i am a gaijin, but i really hope i am not baka) so my question is, from the description i gave, do people like me ever bother you?
No. I appreciate Japan as more of a novelty feeling. It seems to be a very strange place and the people just seem so insecure which makes it one very unique part of the world.

To be honest, It's not my ideal place to raise a child and I feel sorry for any child raised in the country.

A main reason for my recent divorce was because of the fact that I refused to live and raise my child within.

I just did not need to take on unforeseen possiblities and circumstances.

As a single guy, I could thoroughly enjoy it as the girls are just so inviting for a friends with benefit type scenario

Cheers - Oz
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

08-17-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniki View Post
That's the first time I hear something like that. It really depends on the person who uses it, and ignorance does play it's part here. But the same thing can be said about any term used today. As it becomes popular people just throw it at anyone without bothering to check what it really means, thus why such problems occur.
I, personally use it at people who see Japan as some kind of wonderland, but don't really know anything about it except anime, J-Rock and manga, and it has got nothing to do with Western culture being superior.
Well the term Wapanese I believe stems from the word Wigger. So I can't imagine it's original meaning being much different.

Weabo it seems I might be wrong about.. though one definition in the urban dictionary link did say that it stemmed from the word Wapanese being filtered on a particular website....
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

08-17-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Well the term Wapanese I believe stems from the word Wigger. So I can't imagine it's original meaning being much different.
I don't understand how does calling somebody who has a very unhealthy obsession with Japan a Wapanese is making it look inferior to the Western culture.

Last edited by Aniki : 08-17-2009 at 02:11 PM.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

08-17-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniki View Post
I don't understand how does calling somebody who has a very unhealthy obsession with Japan a Wapanese is making it look inferior to the Western culture.
It's not... but that's not the only understood definition for Wapanese.