Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
cuonglhvt (Offline)
New to JF

Some questions to ask about Japanese Religions. - 08-31-2009, 12:01 PM

Hello everybody.
I am madeinviet I’d like to ask some question about religion in Japan.
Yesterday I met 1 guy, he said that he used to live in Japan. This is something he said about religion in Japan:
- Japanese culture is under the influence of Roman Catholic.
- In Japan there are only 1% of popular are Catholic Faithful but almost Japanese accept Catholic Culture as a “National Tradition”.
- Shinto is not a religion, Shinto is a faith.
- He’s never seen a Japanese house with a Buddhist Altar.
- He’s never seen a Japanese person who went to a Buddhist temple.
- In Christmas Eve, almost Japanese can sing Catholic Hymn although they are not Catholic Faithful.
- When he ask some Japanese guy “What is your religion”. The answer is one of two “No religion” or “Catholic”.

I don’t agree with him. My opinions are:
- Influent of Catholic on Japanese is not remarkable.
- Japanese people said “We born Shinto, marry Christianity and die Buddhist.”
- Japanese people go to Buddhist temple on New Year Eve or some other holiday, festival.
- Some old japanese people has Buddhist altar at home.
- Almost Japanese people are register at Buddhist or Shinto Temples as a member of that Temple. Some register at two or more.
- Kominto is a Party which has guidline to turn Nichiren Buddhism into a “National Religion”. Kominto is one of strong parties.
- When being asked “What is your religion”. Japanese say: “I don’t know” (Except Catholic Faithful).

I believe that the above said guy lie (his opinion is different from what I’ve been read). But I am never in Japan. Can Japanese here tell me that I am right or not.

Thank you very much!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Abasio (Offline)
徐世普真義留

08-31-2009, 02:49 PM

It sounds very much like that guy is either lying, stupid or a religious nutcase that sees only what he wants to see.
I have lived in Japan for 10 years, was brought up catholic myself & I can tell you there is very little in the way of catholisism in Japan. Christianity is an official religion and there are churches in the cities but it is in no way a national tradition and I still have never met a catholic japanese person. On Christmas eve young couples date and use little rubber things outlawed by the catholic church :P
My ex-girlfriend had a shrine in her house, was registered at the local temple where she went for festivals, special occasions and just to get spiritual advice.
He may be right about the faith thing though, religion and faith are different. Religion with its written doctrine will inform you what you are to believe. Faith is an actual deep knowing that you trust in your own belief in God. This would mean faith is better Honestly though, shinto is a recognised religion so he is in fact wrong there.
I am guessing he is catholic and is trying to convert you to/stop you from straying from Catholisism?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
tksensei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-31-2009, 04:15 PM

He was lying, or stupid, or both.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-31-2009, 04:53 PM

I agree with your observations and not at all with his observations.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
08-31-2009, 06:35 PM

@cuonglhvt: That person is full of shit. Go punch him or her in the throat. It ticks me off to even read that.

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#6 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-31-2009, 08:53 PM

He was probably a missionary who was trying to convince you that he did a "job well done".
(#7 (permalink))
Old
cuonglhvt (Offline)
New to JF

08-31-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJ View Post
@cuonglhvt: That person is full of shit. Go punch him or her in the throat. It ticks me off to even read that.
Thank you all.
I will give this to him and punch him.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-31-2009, 09:37 PM

I think the question has been answered, so before this thread goes off the rails, I will close it.
Closed Thread