JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: Should the US president be allowed to give a message directly to America's students
Yes 76 76.77%
No 23 23.23%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

09-05-2009, 08:54 PM

Americans never cease to amaze me. The president wants to make a small speech addressing school children and encourage them to study and stay in school and everybody makes a racket out of it. For that they deserve a major facepalm.
(#42 (permalink))
Old
YukisUke (Offline)
Konichiwa, bitches

Send a message via AIM to YukisUke Send a message via Yahoo to YukisUke
09-05-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniki View Post
Americans never cease to amaze me. The president wants to make a small speech addressing school children and encourage them to study and stay in school and everybody makes a racket out of it. For that they deserve a major facepalm.
They really do. No. They need a good ol' punch in the face. LMFAO.
(#43 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-05-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniki View Post
You don't know that's what the speech was to be about, because the President REFUSED to release a copy of the speech ahead of time. And the homework that WAS released ahead of time didn't say "How will you stay in school and study hard", it said "How will you help President Obama?" THAT, combined with his "obama-youth" notions that he talked about during the campaign, and the indoctrination of children in leftist policies advocated by the school board he and Bill Ayers were on together back in Chicago JUSTIFIABLY worried a lot of parents. Anyone who wasn't worried wasn't paying attention or has already guzzled the Obama Kool-aid. Now he's backpedaling, changing the homework, and likely sanitizing the speech that once went along with the original homework.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#44 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
09-05-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodNickSatan View Post
I think having unconditional respect for anyone, particularly someone with as much power as Obama, is pretty sickening to be honest.
Unconditional obedience to someone with as much power would be bad.

Unconditional respect for any person who treats others with respect is something more should learn. Power is not the issue on this point.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#45 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-05-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
Unconditional obedience to someone with as much power would be bad.

Unconditional respect for any person who treats others with respect is something more should learn. Power is not the issue on this point.
Is saying small town people "cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations" showing respect? Is flipping off both McCain and Hillary Clinton, on 2 occasions, showing respect? Is calling Palin a pig in lipstick and McCain an old stinky fish showing respect? Is attacking the conservatives in this country time after time showing respect?

No.

Obama gets no respect from me. He hasn't earned it, and he has proven he doesn't deserve it.

(#46 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

09-05-2009, 10:08 PM

And this thread goes completely off the rails...congratulations all!

Tinfoil hats and Kool-Aid for everyone!

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#47 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
09-05-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzorian View Post
I can see both points. Still, the dept memo was the real concern, and yes, it has Maoist ideas behind it. Besides, if some parent doesn't want his kid to see the president, dumb as it may be, that's thier right.
Pronouncing a speech Moaist that you have not even read or heard is the height of propogandizing. To throw out such a term when the majority of your audience only knows it as a negative implication and are are largely ignorant of the specific Chairman Mao's ideas is a classic technique used in brainwashing. Either you are a victim of such, or a perpetrator. Defend your accusation and let us know which you are.

As for the issue, is seems when not enough headway was being made on serious issues the opposition had to resort to distractions such as minor issues like this speech instead of the existing debate on healthcare.

Just for the record, does the government ever address students en masse like this in Japan?

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#48 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-05-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post

Just for the record, does the government ever address students en masse like this in Japan?
I didn't see it happen when I was there.

(#49 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-05-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
You don't know that's what the speech was to be about, because the President REFUSED to release a copy of the speech ahead of time. And the homework that WAS released ahead of time didn't say "How will you stay in school and study hard", it said "How will you help President Obama?" THAT, combined with his "obama-youth" notions that he talked about during the campaign, and the indoctrination of children in leftist policies advocated by the school board he and Bill Ayers were on together back in Chicago JUSTIFIABLY worried a lot of parents. Anyone who wasn't worried wasn't paying attention or has already guzzled the Obama Kool-aid. Now he's backpedaling, changing the homework, and likely sanitizing the speech that once went along with the original homework.
You have all the right-wing buzz words in all the right places. I also like how you did REFUSED in all caps. The speech will be available on line before he gives it. There were many components to the suggested in-class and homework assignments, one of them being "How will you help the president?" A completely innocuous question unless you are of the mind that the president is a boogie man trying to steal our children from us like the Pied Piper. Only then would that question appear ominous and intimidating.

Because of protests, that question was removed from the assignments, and what is the result? He is accused of backpedaling. Sorry, you can't have it both ways.

Just out of curiosity, what do you honestly think he was going to say in his speech, before it was "sanitized"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
Is saying small town people "cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations" showing respect? Is flipping off both McCain and Hillary Clinton, on 2 occasions, showing respect? Is calling Palin a pig in lipstick and McCain an old stinky fish showing respect? Is attacking the conservatives in this country time after time showing respect?

No.

Obama gets no respect from me. He hasn't earned it, and he has proven he doesn't deserve it.
Besides the error in Palin comment, remember all of these comments happened during an election. Clinton disrespected McCain and Obama, and McCain certainly had his digs in on Clinton and Obama. It's an election. It's what happens. When it's over you shake hands and move on. McCain did. Clinton did. Sounds like samurai007 has not.

Last edited by MMM : 09-05-2009 at 10:31 PM.
(#50 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-05-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
You have all the right-wing buzz words in all the right places. I also like how you did REFUSED in all caps. The speech will be available on line before he gives it. There were many components to the suggested in-class and homework assignments, one of them being "How will you help the president?" A completely innocuous question unless you are of the mind that the president is a boogie man trying to steal our children from us like the Pied Piper. Only then would that question appear ominous and intimidating.

Because of protests, that question was removed from the assignments, and what is the result? He is accused of backpedaling. Sorry, you can't have it both ways.

Just out of curiosity, what do you honestly think he was going to say in his speech, before it was "sanitized"?

Besides the error in Palin comment, remember all of these comments happened during an election. Clinton disrespected McCain and Obama, and McCain certainly had his digs in on Clinton and Obama. It's an election. It's what happens. When it's over you shake hands and move on. McCain did. Clinton did. Sounds like samurai007 has not.
Did the left shake hands after Bush won in 2000? Or when he won again in 2004? Heck no. Now the shoe is on the other foot, and Obama should expect the same resistance Bush got from beginning to end.

As for what I feel Obama would have said, I think he'd have pushed his agendas on a variety of subjects, including socialized medicine, environmentalism, etc. I think it would have been a soft-sell, aimed at a younger audience, not a fiery hard-sell campaign style speech, but still full of assumptions about what Obama believes and is pushing for. I think he was going to ask kids to get involved in these issues in some way, which is what the homework was referring to. I think he would have couched things in terms that young kids couldn't see through, such as "socialized medicine just wants to help poor people who get sick..." Never mind whether there are better free-market ways to accomplish that goal, he'd leave kids to believe that opposing his plan means you must want poor people who get sick to suffer and die... an impression I'm sure he's only too happy to instill, since they say as much in their rhetoric to adults too.