JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#81 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-15-2009, 06:10 AM

interesting.

but i dont think the increased number of hours to do stuff or the theoretically increased rem time is enough to decide if this works or not.

surely a major factor would be the quality of life that you would have with this kind of cycle. so say you might have 8 hours of SF training, but would that be a productive 8 hours or would you be more productive over a shorter period of time with more sleep?

surely if this was an ideal way of living then pro athletes, and pro gamers would all be doing this to maximise their training time dont you think?

then theres the whole social thing, will you remain the same chipper person or will you become cranky and short tempered, and how would that affect your relationships? if youre waking up every 20 minutes does that mean you'll alays be getting up on the wrong side of the bed?

its gonna be fun to watch
(#82 (permalink))
Old
Quailboy (Offline)
Been Here Too Long

Send a message via AIM to Quailboy Send a message via MSN to Quailboy Send a message via Yahoo to Quailboy Send a message via Skype™ to Quailboy
09-15-2009, 06:19 AM

Supposedly after the first few weeks your energy levels and emotions revert back to normal, I take it you're going to read the blog trunker?

You haven't dug your hole too deep until it's killed you
(#83 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
09-15-2009, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunker View Post
but i dont think the increased number of hours to do stuff or the theoretically increased rem time is enough to decide if this works or not.
It doesn't, it's been proven.

Quote:

surely if this was an ideal way of living then pro athletes, and pro gamers would all be doing this to maximise their training time dont you think?
Yes, and they don't.

Quote:
then theres the whole social thing, will you remain the same chipper person
No.
Quote:
or will you become cranky and short tempered,
Yes.
Quote:
and how would that affect your relationships?
Adversely.
Quote:
if youre waking up every 20 minutes does that mean you'll alays be getting up on the wrong side of the bed?
Probably.

I've seen the effects of this "theoretical sleep cycle". It sounds great on paper, but in practice it doesn't work and is very unhealthy. There have been shows, documentaries, articles, and countless studies on it, and they all come up with the same result. But our friend here is determined in his wiley youthful exuberance to do it because he believes he is right and we are wrong, so we've pretty much decided at this point to sit back and watch the self destruction begin

I should get some popcorn...

its gonna be fun to watch [/quote]

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#84 (permalink))
Old
Quailboy (Offline)
Been Here Too Long

Send a message via AIM to Quailboy Send a message via MSN to Quailboy Send a message via Yahoo to Quailboy Send a message via Skype™ to Quailboy
09-15-2009, 06:29 AM

GTJ: At this point I cant wait, it's more out of curiousity then anything now. Think about it, I'm going to re-learn to sleep like babies naturally do..

(#85 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-15-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quailboy View Post
GTJ: At this point I cant wait, it's more out of curiousity then anything now. Think about it, I'm going to re-learn to sleep like babies naturally do..
Since when do babies sleep in 20 minute intervals for 2+ hours of sleep a day?

They tend to sleep 10 to 12 hours a day (some more)

Dare I say if you were to force a baby on this schedule it would be like torture and probably die.
(#86 (permalink))
Old
Quailboy (Offline)
Been Here Too Long

09-15-2009, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Since when do babies sleep in 20 minute intervals for 2+ hours of sleep a day?

They tend to sleep 10 to 12 hours a day (some more)

Dare I say if you were to force a baby on this schedule it would be like torture and probably die.
It's not as strict as the uberman plan but babies are Polyphasic sleepers.

(#87 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
09-15-2009, 07:04 AM

I think debating this is a lost cause...
Mainly, because I don`t personally think Quailboy here will be able to pull it off more than a few days - maybe a week at the very most.

We all know how he is always so incredibly dedicated to everything, and how he always follows through with all the stuff he says he does even after the initial fascination wears off.

Even if this works perfectly and just as planned, you`ve still got the 2 weeks of hell... Or 3, or 4, depending upon how many times you screw up in the first two. (Not wake up by the alarm and sleep half the day, resetting any progress - oops!)

Do you REALLY think you have the dedication to make it through that? Because you know... I certainly don`t think you do.

Quote:
It's not as strict as the uberman plan but babies are Polyphasic sleepers.
Have you bothered to look into WHY babies are polyphasic? It sure isn`t to get more hours out of a day.
There are a number of hormones that are released by the body only when sleeping - the most notable being the human growth hormone. It is released slowly and the slowed metabolism during sleep allows the body to make proper use of it.
Also, as a baby is on a quickly absorbed liquid diet with little "back up" stores to use for growth and development - they need to eat many times at shorter intervals.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.

Last edited by Nyororin : 09-15-2009 at 07:11 AM.
(#88 (permalink))
Old
Quailboy (Offline)
Been Here Too Long

09-15-2009, 07:14 AM

N: I ultimetly think this will make make life so much better, this is something without hardly any outside encouragement, only myself, I will do this for at least two months, after that I will determine if it is worth it or not.

(#89 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
09-15-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quailboy View Post
N: I ultimetly think this will make make life so much better, this is something without hardly any outside encouragement, only myself, I will do this for at least two months, after that I will determine if it is worth it or not.
I`ll just be straight and say it;
It would have been far far more impressive if you`d started this topic with "I`ve been following the Uberman Sleep Cycle for the past month and..." instead of listing grandiose plans of how this will change your life and make things so much better, etc etc.

Anyone can plan. Anyone can come up with a great idea and talk endlessly about it`s greatness...

論より証拠ですね・・・

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#90 (permalink))
Old
Quailboy (Offline)
Been Here Too Long

09-15-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I`ll just be straight and say it;
It would have been far far more impressive if you`d started this topic with "I`ve been following the Uberman Sleep Cycle for the past month and..." instead of listing grandiose plans of how this will change your life and make things so much better, etc etc.

Anyone can plan. Anyone can come up with a great idea and talk endlessly about it`s greatness...
While this is true, I thought that others would like to see how I'm progressing.