JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-17-2009, 05:51 AM

the tobacco industry is one of the foundation stones of america, and its influence is absolutely massive. the only way obama got this to pass is because of the small numbers you guys have stated,... ie the companies wont lose any sleep over it.

but at the same time obama looks like he is doing something.

the question is, now that the tobacco companies have given him a deal, what is the price going to be?

oh and shisha was studied by some egyptian doctors and one head was found to contain the equivalent tar content of 200 cigarettes despite having less tobacco. but then again egypt has a big ciggie industry too so,....
(#22 (permalink))
Old
JayT (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-17-2009, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJ View Post
Interesting. This is indeed a HUGE change. I was impressed by the part where the FDA can bar tobacco companies from advertising. That's pretty big.

Something I want to point out and insert into the discussion is that the tobacco industry is one of the largest driving forces of America's economy. What do you guys all think the ramifications will be? Or do you not feel that the tobacco industry plays that big a role?

Also in my own personal interest, I wonder what this means for hookah (shisha), which is 90% molasses and only 10% tobacco.
The person at my local shop said no, since it's mostly flavored syrup.
I'm happy people are sharing their opinions on this though.

I agree that something fishy is up, like stated.
Companies like Swisher and such are going to have problems,
but companies like Marlboro or Camel that don't have any flavored products will flourish thanks to this new rule.

[<--Nan's heart!]

(#23 (permalink))
Old
koikurasu (Offline)
Obey the fist!

Send a message via AIM to koikurasu Send a message via MSN to koikurasu Send a message via Skype™ to koikurasu
09-17-2009, 06:03 AM

Yeah, many of which are based in the US >_>

Was it something I said? Whatever it was, I didn't mean it. I haven't meant anything I've said for years. Except what I just said. I think

Final Fantasy Clan Member
CODE NAME: CHOCOBO
(#24 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
09-17-2009, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunker View Post
oh and shisha was studied by some egyptian doctors and one head was found to contain the equivalent tar content of 200 cigarettes despite having less tobacco. but then again egypt has a big ciggie industry too so,....
Yeah I saw that too. Another group of researchers completely debunked it. If the shisha was BURNED, yes, maybe that might be true, but when smoking it properly with a hookah, it is instead HEATED, meaning there is zero tar content. Semantics, right?

Interesting though, since Egypt is one of the countries where shisha is very widely smoked.

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#25 (permalink))
Old
JayT (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-17-2009, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJ View Post
Yeah I saw that too. Another group of researchers completely debunked it. If the shisha was BURNED, yes, maybe that might be true, but when smoking it properly with a hookah, it is instead HEATED, meaning there is zero tar content. Semantics, right?

Interesting though, since Egypt is one of the countries where shisha is very widely smoked.
Egypt is badass,
almost every cafe there offers shisha.
Drink tea, smoke and play backgammon.
Thats the Egyptian way!

[<--Nan's heart!]

(#26 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-17-2009, 06:51 AM

cool i had no idea it was debunked.

having said that, the day after a shisha night my throat feels absolutely horrible.

and i smoke a pack a day.

perhaps they prep the shisha differently from the middle east, cos down there it definately does burn to a certain degree.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Naoko (Offline)
Evil Muffin 奈央子

Send a message via AIM to Naoko
09-17-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post
Is driving not also appealing to youths, yet harmful because youth have the highest percentage of accidents?
I sense the driving age will be upped in the future as well.

Really, 'Clove cigarettes represent less than 1% of cigarettes sold in the United States'. It's usually adults I know that smoke cloves. If only 1% of the population in the United States smokes them, then why ban them? It's rubbish.
I don't like how this situation is so under the radar.
In regards to the driving thing...that happens every year in scattered states with or without the national government's involvement. I was so p.o.'d when I finally hit 15 only to have the age for a permit go up 5 days before my birthday. xD That was nearly a decade ago, though.

外人警報発令中!!!! ヽ(`Д')ノ
My Japanese still sucks. Feel free to correct me! Any constructive criticism is appreciated.((どうも、ナゴナゴさん!!))
(#28 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-17-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koikurasu View Post
This is true, I feel as if there is something more behind it though, who wants to make a new govt conspiracy with me! any takers?!?

This is just Obama's response to criticism of his own smoking addiction.

Last edited by burkhartdesu : 09-17-2009 at 06:24 PM.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-17-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu View Post
This is just Obama's response to criticism of his own smoking addiction.
Why is it always about Obama? He signed a bill that Congress passed. THAT CONGRESS PASSED. Would you have expected him to VETO it? C'mon, people. Get real.

Clove cigarettes are definitely smoke more by younger people than older people. I have never seen someone over the age of 25 smoke a clove. Flavored tobaccos are absolutely marketed toward younger people. Camel makes "tropical" cigarettes in the summer...who do you think they are trying to get to buy those, 55-year-old Joe the Trucker who has been smoking the same cigs for 30+ years or the new smoker who hasn't found her exact taste yet...or maybe has never smoked? These are "gateway" cigarettes, and the new law is the right thing to do.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-17-2009, 07:04 PM

Why would I reply to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by koikurasu View Post
This is true, I feel as if there is something more behind it though, who wants to make a new govt conspiracy with me! any takers?!?

I was obviously creating a 'conspiracy' -- a sarcastic reply to the Obama-bashing, as of late

As I stated before, what I was saying was purely speculation. Don't need to get all hot and bothered.

Last edited by burkhartdesu : 09-17-2009 at 07:10 PM.