LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-07-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
I have no problem with the disclosure regulation, except that it needs to apply unilaterally. Yes, professionals operate under company policies limiting graft, but without a legal requirement to disclose it enforcement within any company is haphazard at best. This is an equal rights issue as well as 1st amendment. If it is published publicly, amateur or professional, the same law needs to apply.

I write restaurant reviews these days as an "amateur" and I really do welcome the oversight, within limits. I have seen far too much of what amounts to low-level payolla going on to influence reviews. I even had a recent, rather heated, discussion with a manager when he openly attempted to influence my review - first with special treatment and then threatening a friend.

But having also worked as a professional journalist in the 1990s, I absolutely insisted that this regulation be applied to ALL reviewers who publish ANYWHERE. The corruption is largely unreported on corporate levels unless a colleague finds out and decides to rat you out, or the company starts investigating for anything they can use to terminate you.
I agree with this. TalnG, to single out one group for disclosure, and not all is unfair. It does look like this regulation would cover celebrity endorsement, and I think you mention of restaurants is probably accurate. Howard Stern can walk into any restaurant in New York and never have to pull out his wallet because there is a good chance he will mention the restaurant on the air, or the paparazzi will print a pic of him walking out. He never says he doesn't pay for meals, but I have heard that this is actually the case.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Liongale (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Liongale Send a message via MSN to Liongale
10-08-2009, 07:31 AM

I read a blogging revew website called Joystiq and they always say what items, freebies, systems, and games they get for free. They even show pictures sometimes of what companies give them! They do it in a tasteful way I think with a touch of humor that helps them be successful reviewers while using disclosure.

Plus maybe this would be a positive for a review? "Oh I got my meal for free" - they might be nice, I will go there too, says the reader. Though maybe not the intention if you want to write a bad review :P
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Kushaba (Offline)
JF Regular

10-08-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liongale View Post
I read a blogging revew website called Joystiq and they always say what items, freebies, systems, and games they get for free. They even show pictures sometimes of what companies give them! They do it in a tasteful way I think with a touch of humor that helps them be successful reviewers while using disclosure.

Plus maybe this would be a positive for a review? "Oh I got my meal for free" - they might be nice, I will go there too, says the reader. Though maybe not the intention if you want to write a bad review :P
yeah. i agree with you on a smaller note it seems that gaming companies are starting to write their own reviews for their own games because they can't stand to have one bad review on their games. maybe that's the reason why most magazines and sites are getting freebies. to get good reviews.