JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#81 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-10-2009, 08:03 PM

I have said that the award was a surprise to me and to him, and I am sure there are a dozen people at least that deserve it more. But you said he deserves to be last on a list of names of almost 200 names you don't know (though you are taking it back a little now). Anyone can be a nominee, so, again, I think it is purely emotional to automatically put the standing president's name at the bottom. The president of Iran's name could be on that list for all we know.

It is a political award given out by representative politicians, so calling the choice political isn't very ground-shaking. The committee has said that it wasn't for specific achievements but for the hope and inspiration Pres. Obama has brought to the world community. So it is harder to quantify than orphanages or hospitals built, but I can't say is is valueless.

So Congratulations to Obama, and a wish to move onward and upward.
(#82 (permalink))
Old
Corvin (Offline)
JF Regular

10-10-2009, 08:10 PM

You welcome. Well, even the posts outside the US an PL are written by Poles. A heards that this site is created by Polish guys. It's nice accent today, after the President's deed.

(#83 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-10-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvin View Post
You welcome. Well, even the posts outside the US an PL are written by Poles. A heards that this site is created by Polish guys. It's nice accent today, after the President's deed.
By the way, I'd like to give Poland an apology for the way Obama backed out of the deal Bush made to protect your country and others with the missile shield system. Hopefully, Poland would never have needed it anyway, but with Russia becoming more expansionist again and Iran and others trying to get nuclear bombs and long range missiles to deliver them, it would have been an extra bit of protection. How are most Poles taking the news?

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#84 (permalink))
Old
Barone1551 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-10-2009, 08:21 PM

Even if you guys don't think he deserves it, why are you so upset that he won it. He is an American representative, and has wont the nobel peace prize. Arent you guys happy that the rest of the world is more accepting of us? Arent you glad that we are becoming well liked in the world? Even if you don't think he deserves it, I would hope you would be happy for the President. I do understand that not everyone is from the US here. But the ones who are from the US, i don't understand. Do you guys want to go back to being one of the most hated countries? I know I don't, and I for one am glad Obama has such a following all over the world.

The King wore a crown. Now he is the king of kings.
(#85 (permalink))
Old
Barone1551 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-10-2009, 08:32 PM

And here is a quote from Michael Moore that I found very interesting.

"P.S. Your opposition has spent the morning attacking you for bringing such good will to this country. Why do they hate America so much? I get the feeling that if you found the cure for cancer this afternoon they'd be denouncing you for destroying free enterprise because cancer centers would have to close. There are those who say you've done nothing yet to deserve this award. As far as I'm concerned, the very fact that you've offered to walk into the minefield of hate and try to undo the irreparable damage the last president did is not only appreciated by me and millions of others, it is also an act of true bravery. That's why you got the prize. The whole world is depending on the U.S. -- and you -- to literally save this planet. Let's not let them down."

heres the link to the whole article: Congratulations President Obama on the Nobel Peace Prize -- Now Please Earn it! | MichaelMoore.com

(#86 (permalink))
Old
Corvin (Offline)
JF Regular

10-10-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
By the way, I'd like to give Poland an apology for the way Obama backed out of the deal Bush made to protect your country and others with the missile shield system. Hopefully, Poland would never have needed it anyway, but with Russia becoming more expansionist again and Iran and others trying to get nuclear bombs and long range missiles to deliver them, it would have been an extra bit of protection. How are most Poles taking the news?
No, please. I don't consider you and American people responsible for Obama. Even the majority has elected him. For me it wasn't really important case. Our Primie Minister and President has kids playing like kids aroung the shield instead the providing good discussion about the shield (Is it important? does Poland need it? What's the prize? What abou Russia? etc.) Here, we had just few stupid slogans. And the question. What news? You mean Obama, shield, Lisbon Treaty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barone1551 View Post
Even if you guys don't think he deserves it, why are you so upset that he won it. He is an American representative, and has wont the nobel peace prize. Arent you guys happy that the rest of the world is more accepting of us? Arent you glad that we are becoming well liked in the world? Even if you don't think he deserves it, I would hope you would be happy for the President. I do understand that not everyone is from the US here. But the ones who are from the US, i don't understand. Do you guys want to go back to being one of the most hated countries? I know I don't, and I for one am glad Obama has such a following all over the world.
You have no right in this case. It's not important to me, in this situation, to accept USA as some category, just because Obama won the Prize. I didn't stard to like the US more or less. I don't like Obama, I don't like USA as a state, not a country. It's not the same, remember. Country is a historical, cultural thing. The USA form the beginning has many things to offer the world. The state was good in the past, but in the last years, Europe and USA are changing to worse, and Obama is the represantant of this change's line. I'm not happy with the USA going to be more and more familiar with many dying European states. Under Ron Paul, USA can be again the state worth to mention. "Look sonny at the Ocean. Here is Europe, and here is America. It's a free state. America is back to hers roots. Hopefully." Can you say, America is, today, free state? Under FED, and Obama, and bailout, and higher taxes than in the past? With illegal somewhere weapon, with which you want to feel secure? I really like USA, and I wish, that USA will be again a free state.
I'm not from the US, but try to understand your comrades(sorry for Soviet vocabulary, but i have no right world, I forgot). The can be not very happy of Obama's presidency. And of course, imagine how the comitee looks. It's not a voice of a people. Did people said, that Obama is working hard for world peace? No. This is the voice of the infuential people, who are creating new range of authorities. Do you think Al Gore did more than Irena Sendlerowa? Not beacuse she was polish. (BTW, Lech Walesa also shoudn't get the Nobel Prize) It doesn't mattes what nationalisty she is.

(#87 (permalink))
Old
Barone1551 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-10-2009, 09:20 PM

Yes I do know the difference between a state and country, although I think you mean nation. Or at least that is how I was always taught. I dont think you have to like anyone. Im not trying to say Obama is perfect. I dont think he is perfect. I was more gearing my questions to people who are American, but they can apply to anyone. Here in the US there is a sense of hating Obama for the sake of hating Obama. Even when he does good things he is ridiculed for something. This is what I dont get, hating Obama just becuase your side did not win. Just like when people cheered when the Chicago did not get the Olympic bid. They were happy because something Obama supported failed. It does not make any sense to me. Someone clear this up for me. I dont understand how you cant be at leas somewhat happy when YOUR president wins a prestigious award. Sorry for people from other countries that dislike him. No matter what you think about him though, its hard to deny that he has much more of a international appeal than previous US presidents.

(#88 (permalink))
Old
Corvin (Offline)
JF Regular

10-10-2009, 10:05 PM

Do you think, I'm against Obama's Prize, because he's American? I hated Obama before the Nobel Prizes contest, and I think 99% of Obama's enemies felt the same. It's not really important, that Sendlerowa was Polish, I just respect her sacrify. Do you know, that Germans could kill her or send to Auschwitz/Chelmno nad Nerem/Majdanek/Treblinka camp? I think it's more than Gore's insanity. And I hate Gore, not because he won, not because he's American. I hate, because he is, who he is. That's all.

You should remember about the sense of the the US President. Why something like this exist? It exists for American people - Obama is your President, not mine. He wasnn't elected for me, to make me happy due to his better than Bush's appeal. He was elected for you. And he is working as a President every day, serving to American people, leading the USA and representing all American people and values. Not for me. I have my own President.
For example, my President, Lech Kaczynski is winning the Nobel or sth like this. I'm not happy, that means the Comitee is a total mistake. Kaczynski has shown today that he is a criminal.

(#89 (permalink))
Old
Barone1551 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-10-2009, 10:28 PM

I was saying that stuff more for American people. And I never said you disliked him becuase he was American. I said many Americans hate him just for the sake of hating him. And I know you have your own president. Obama wont effect you directly as far as laws go. But its hard to deny international politics. Even though he is not your direct president, he still has an impact on you. And since you seem to be so passionate about disliking obama. Why is that, you even said that we elected him for us not you. Why do you care so much?

Just a question, not to be rude or demeaning to anyone, but who here has taken an intro world politics class? I'm just wondering, I really am curious.

(#90 (permalink))
Old
Aether (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Aether
10-11-2009, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barone1551 View Post
...Here in the US there is a sense of hating Obama for the sake of hating Obama. Even when he does good things he is ridiculed for something. This is what I dont get, hating Obama just becuase your side did not win. Just like when people cheered when the Chicago did not get the Olympic bid. They were happy because something Obama supported failed. It does not make any sense to me. Someone clear this up for me. I dont understand how you cant be at leas somewhat happy when YOUR president wins a prestigious award. Sorry for people from other countries that dislike him. No matter what you think about him though, its hard to deny that he has much more of a international appeal than previous US presidents.
I'm sensing the same thing. For me as well it is hard to understand why so many people so passionately hate Obama. I understand that not everything he does is perfect and he can't please everyone with his choices, but even when good things happen to him like winning the Nobel Peace Prize, he is still degraded and demeaned. I personally think that is a rather sad state of America. Him winning the Nobel Peace Prize was a shock to me, as I am sure it was to many other people (the president included), but I wasn't angry and didn't hate him for winning such an award. I think it is a great achievement and is representative of how the US is changing in the world's eyes for the better.