JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
11-30-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
Smeyer, in contrast, doesn't have that kind of background to support such a theory. Her writings simply have something in them (a bit mills and boonish, really, with hip goffik overtones) that appeal narrowly to bored housewives and teenage girls; ie females with a strong ability to suspend belief from reality. In other words, she's not smart enough to manipulate the market; she is just already so close to the mindset of her readers that it has massive appeal.
The whole story of Twilight is written like it was taken from a fantasy of a 14 year old girl.

Example: Bella comes from Edward's car, everybody stares them. It was funny. That is what girls would love in real life.

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#42 (permalink))
Old
PockyMePink (Offline)
=\

Send a message via MSN to PockyMePink
11-30-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhantom View Post
The whole story of Twilight is written like it was taken from a fantasy of a 14 year old girl.

Example: Bella comes from Edward's car, everybody stares them. It was funny. That is what girls would love in real life.
Twilight is written so you step into Bella's shoes, no matter what age you are

That's what makes it popular. That's what wraps fans so tight up in it. Bella gets everything she ever wants without even working for it. She gets the perfect life, with a beautiful husband she can spend eternity with having sex 24/7. She has the perfect family, and everyone loves her, no matter how badly she treats them. She has no worries in the world, and nothing threatens her wonderful life. They are smart and beautiful and do no wrong.

Once fans step into Bella's shoes, they are told they can have this wonderful life as well, without even working for it!

How annoying >>
(#43 (permalink))
Old
Yuusuke (Offline)
Banned!

12-01-2009, 12:48 AM

Oh my god, it has, it's everywhere, fangirls, to commercials to just mouth of word.

I'd rather watch an abortion happen than see/read that poor excuse for a sexual fantasy/perfect life.

(#44 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
12-01-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockyMePink View Post
Twilight is written so you step into Bella's shoes, no matter what age you are
If it was just that, it wouldn't be bad. The movie is how a general 14 year old fangirl fantasizes about her life, and Bella just happens to be the main protagonist to make the idea work.

There are so many weird things, like Edward still acting like a teen even if he has lived a hundred years, and god... why is he still staying at high school?

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#45 (permalink))
Old
Yuusuke (Offline)
Banned!

12-01-2009, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhantom View Post
like Edward still acting like a teen even if he has lived a hundred years, and god... why is he still staying at high school?

Because he likes him young.

teenagers, the more i get older the more they stay the same

is his mindset XD

(#46 (permalink))
Old
seiki (Offline)
aww fiegal

12-01-2009, 03:25 AM

I made and proved a hypothesis at my school about twilight. Walk around and any girls you knew were pretty dumb that were carrying big books you could bet your money it was twilight. Then came the shirts bags pillows and even vampire shimmer. So you can be just like a "real" vampire.lmao
(#47 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

12-01-2009, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockyMePink View Post
That's what makes it popular. That's what wraps fans so tight up in it. Bella gets everything she ever wants without even working for it. She gets the perfect life, with a beautiful husband she can spend eternity with having sex 24/7. She has the perfect family, and everyone loves her, no matter how badly she treats them. She has no worries in the world, and nothing threatens her wonderful life. They are smart and beautiful and do no wrong.

Once fans step into Bella's shoes, they are told they can have this wonderful life as well, without even working for it!

How annoying >>
That's the most complete explanation I've read about Twilight's appeal I've yet read. It definitely explains why I was annoyed at the female character's vacantly smug expression on the first movie's poster.

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#48 (permalink))
Old
minimin (Offline)
Reeta-Leena Korhola

Send a message via AIM to minimin Send a message via MSN to minimin
12-01-2009, 12:27 PM

It really hasn't, but im plagued with annoying Burger King commercials for it. I really dont see what the hype is about. -_-

Rest in peace Kyle <3
(#49 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-01-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
That's the most complete explanation I've read about Twilight's appeal I've yet read. It definitely explains why I was annoyed at the female character's vacantly smug expression on the first movie's poster.
Let's face it; Bella is about the most howling Mary Sue ever to be published. Everyone fancies her despite she has all the charm and personality of roadkill, and what she does show is either tremulous skank or outright bitch, and finally her 'endearing' trait of clumsiness is just irritating or makes me wonder if she doesn't have some kind of neurological disorder.

Add to that; there is absolutely no actual romantic set-up, just a lot of whining; the drama and the action is handled with horrible ineptitude and the dialogue creaks when it tries to be anything more than superficial.

Of course the characters look vacant; they're about as realistically deep as a comic-book puddle.
(#50 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

12-01-2009, 05:17 PM

Wow this thread turned very quickly into 'Why Twilight sucks' thread...makes me feel proud to be a member of JF.