LinkBack Thread Tools
(#71 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

12-14-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
To clear something up: I originally meant for this to be an international discussion. I used Japan as an example because the girls I saw happened to be Japanese, but my friend is American with West Indian heritage that has most likely influenced her way of thinking. I think it's fine to use Japan as an example, but I never meant for it to be the only thing discussed...

Go on, pull the other leg!

Cheers - Oz
(#72 (permalink))
Old
WhoIsDaffy (Offline)
Banned

That chinese guy was very funny. - 12-14-2009, 05:09 PM

starting with a little correction...

its the Muslim Culture not the religion that enforces the burka or niqab.
there is nothing in the Koran about dressing like a ninja, thats a purely cultural thing cooked up to oppress the woman folk.

also please note that rape has nothing to do with sex, and everything to do with power and violence. your just as likely to be raped wearing a big fluffy jumper than a boob tube.

on the topic of dressing slutty and "asking for it"
can't help that everyone seems to have gotten a little caught up in culture this, culture that and missed the most important point.

Its not what you wear, its how you wear it.

How you carry yourself, that is ultimatly what decides if you are "respected" or not.

simples
(#73 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-14-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas View Post

No. She didn't. Read the opening post again. It says nothing about Japan. You're presuming that it's about Japan.

We are allowed to discuss global subjects, and general subjects on here. Since it's the general forum.

Don't think to judge what area of culture we're allowed to speak about on the general forum MMM.
Mercedesjin is in Japan, so I made the assumption this is about Japan.

You are right, you have a right to your opinion. My point is, what is "asking for it" in one culture is not "asking for it" in another. So we have to be aware of our own prejudices when making a judgement like that.
(#74 (permalink))
Old
NanteNa (Offline)
sixth gun.

Send a message via Skype™ to NanteNa
12-14-2009, 07:15 PM

I think it's quite lame that most guys believe that girls dress up for THEIR sake. Personally, when I dress up, I do it because it makes me feel good about myself, and people with confidence usually look the best, if you ask me.

If a girl wears a short skirt - then that's her choice. It doesn't mean she's screaming out ''Oh please f'ck me, mighty gentlemen''. To me it sounds like she could pull it off in this case. If I could pull off super short skirts.. hell, I'd dress up every single day too.

I think it's about time we start seing things in the bigger perspective. Girls can look hot without asking for sex. As it's been said many times before in several threads, we cannot help the way we look. I don't see why some girl looking fine in a school uniform 'has it coming' more than the girl wearing jeans and a top. Style doesn't only represent what we 'have', but also who we are. Yet, I'd still prefer people to not judge a girl on her looks. There are girls who dress up in sweaters and baggy jeans who'd like sex just as much as a girl looking sexy struttin' her stuff down the street.

[ <-- Jordan's heart! \(Ò_ó)/ ]
Follow me on TUMBLR
"Well if a chick has a problem with the way I conduct myself I'd draw the bitch
a map to the nearest exit and stamp "fuck off" on her forehead."
- Pot Roast
(#75 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

12-14-2009, 07:18 PM

The Individual, the Group, and Mankind

"Anthropological theory of personality and culture is based on two mutually dependent assumptions. The first is that society molds the individual into a pattern which, while it may not be ego syntonic and very often is not, fosters the continuity of the culture; the second is that the individual re-creates the society in which he lives by re-enforcing those cultural patterns by which he finds himself surrounded and which, to some extent, aid him in solving or sublimating his own infantile conflicts.(...)"

Géza Róheim, Ph.D.

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
(#76 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-14-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanteNa View Post
I think it's quite lame that most guys believe that girls dress up for THEIR sake. Personally, when I dress up, I do it because it makes me feel good about myself, and people with confidence usually look the best, if you ask me.
I hope most guys don't think that, but there certainly are those that do, and I agree, it is lame.
(#77 (permalink))
Old
IamKira (Offline)
Sulfer + KClO3 + Cu(1)Cl

12-14-2009, 08:01 PM

well, let me ask you then why all the girls and guys don't run around in burlap sacs?.. it's not as if it would be much less comfortable than a suit, and we seem to wear those a lot for special, romantic occasions.. or high heals, or corsets
the whole point of fashion is as the peacocks tail, a birds song, or a penguin's dance
it is to attract sex.. every piece of new clothing is designed to bring about attraction from, mostly members of the opposite sex... this is why we have mini skirts and why they are generally flamboyant in color.. or those sweats with the writing on the but, or shirts with logos and scripting on the breast area... it's designed so that people look at those areas. i present you with the push up bra.. what purpose does it serve?..to enhance the breasts so that guys will take a second look and bring about higher probability of getting laid... people need to stop being so hypocritical and circularly paradoxical in their nature when it comes to sex

IamKira
(#78 (permalink))
Old
NanteNa (Offline)
sixth gun.

Send a message via Skype™ to NanteNa
12-14-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I hope most guys don't think that, but there certainly are those that do, and I agree, it is lame.
Yeah well, a statement like ''She has it coming'' is to me like saying ''She does it for the guys, so it's her own fault if they go for it as she just puts it out there for THEM'', yeh

[ <-- Jordan's heart! \(Ò_ó)/ ]
Follow me on TUMBLR
"Well if a chick has a problem with the way I conduct myself I'd draw the bitch
a map to the nearest exit and stamp "fuck off" on her forehead."
- Pot Roast
(#79 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
12-14-2009, 08:26 PM

There is a wide gap between a provocative look and an invitation to touch - in any manner.

I would have to agree that if your appearance is suggestive, then you have to be able to handle being gawked at, leering looks from anyone and everyone, and probably some offensive commentary. One's appearance is styled to be noticed, no matter what that style is.

But short of a verbal request or a printed sign saying so, none of it is an invitation for a physical approach....EVER.

Unfortunately there are those with no respect for anything that do take such looks as an invitation for them to prove their barbaric nature.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#80 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

12-14-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Mercedesjin is in Japan, so I made the assumption this is about Japan.

You are right, you have a right to your opinion. My point is, what is "asking for it" in one culture is not "asking for it" in another. So we have to be aware of our own prejudices when making a judgement like that.
I understand. It's a good point, but unfortunately, it doesn't change anything of how I think. All it changes, is instead of me saying;

"It's wrong. They had it coming. I say this because I don't think it's right."

to

"It's wrong. They had it coming. I say this because my culture disagrees with it."

We come to the same conclusion.

Quote:
Salvania, go and ask your Mother for some mature advice, then go and have a serious talk to yourself.
Perhaps you should start acting your age, and not try and flirt with young girls online.

But that's just my age speaking, right? I mean, you're right. Being 19 suddenly makes my points invalid, and makes me immature.

Get over yourself.

Quote:

If a girl wears a short skirt - then that's her choice. It doesn't mean she's screaming out ''Oh please f'ck me, mighty gentlemen''. To me it sounds like she could pull it off in this case. If I could pull off super short skirts.. hell, I'd dress up every single day too.

I think it's about time we start seing things in the bigger perspective. Girls can look hot without asking for sex. As it's been said many times before in several threads, we cannot help the way we look. I don't see why some girl looking fine in a school uniform 'has it coming' more than the girl wearing jeans and a top. Style doesn't only represent what we 'have', but also who we are. Yet, I'd still prefer people to not judge a girl on her looks. There are girls who dress up in sweaters and baggy jeans who'd like sex just as much as a girl looking sexy struttin' her stuff down the street.
So, women dress to the point of nudity (in cultures such as England and America, for example. Not a culture that accepts nudity.) as a way of feeling confident?

That makes no sense.

As I said beforehand. You can look good, and sexy, and comfortable, without having to show cleavage, both breast and arse. A women that shows such things, obviously knows the effect it has on men, and knowing that, they still wear it.

The majority of school girls over here in the UK seem to have this new game they play with their lives. It's called "Who can have sex first." And usually wear their skirts high to attract older boys.

It's not rare to see a 14 year old girl going out with a 16, or a 16 year old girl going out with a 20 year old. For what reason? Sex is the only reason.

One thing I want to know, is the thought process going through a woman's mind, as she's getting into her mini skirt, and cleavage showing top.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -