JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Favorite Japanese Word (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/29563-favorite-japanese-word.html)

manganimefan227 01-03-2010 06:37 AM

Kagura!! I've been in love with it since Fruits Basket although I don't know what it means and if you say it with the right Hiragana pronunctiation it almost sounds like Kakurot!! XD

MMM 01-03-2010 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manganimefan227 (Post 793002)
Kagura!! I've been in love with it since Fruits Basket although I don't know what it means and if you say it with the right Hiragana pronunctiation it almost sounds like Kakurot!! XD

I am reading the words, but I have no idea what you are saying.

TalnSG 01-03-2010 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 792989)
You mean はじめまして。

Oh yes, I see the typo now! I fighting my keyboard that kept self-shifting between fonts inexplicably. See - that word and I really don't get along. :P

xyzone 01-03-2010 03:24 PM

Useful no such thing for me since I'm not fluent and wouldn't try to seem until further notice; but favorite: せんりつ
if I married a Japanese woman and had a child I would name them that, I don't care what anyone says. well maybe I'd cut the kid some slack if it was a boy.

manganimefan227 01-03-2010 10:19 PM

Hmmm . . .I get that alot . . .Maybe I have Schyzotypal, I fit into other synptoms too . . .

Columbine 01-03-2010 11:45 PM

洋服だんす is probably my favourite. According to my dictionary it means 'wardrobe'. I just like the image it gives me of all my clothes having a disco in the closet.

サボテン is probably another. One of my housemates had a video game where one of the characters repeatedly screamed something like 'はどうけん’, only I kept hearing at as サボテン and wondering what the big deal was about cacti.

SceptileMaster 01-04-2010 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lizzey (Post 792180)
Honto(really) is one of my favorite Japanese words.

As well as what yuriyuri said, 本当(hontou) does not mean really. It means truth. 本当に(hountou ni) means truly (which pretty much also means really).

Anyway, I'm not sure about my favorite word. I don't know what my favorite word in English is but I have only the selection of the coming on 1,000 or so words I know in Japanese making it easier than the tens of thousands I probably know in English (so many more Japanese words to learn :S).

Here's a few of the many words which I like for some reason or other.

日本(nihon) - This means Japan. Because I love Japan.
空気(kuuki) - This means Air. I remembered this easy because it sounds similar the English word cookie.
歩く(aruku) - This is a verb meaning 'to walk'. It allowed the Totoro opening to be one of the first Japanese songs I understood some of.

Ascherman 01-27-2010 04:54 AM

"Wakarimasu" would be my favorite word.

My Japanese vocabulary is less then 100 words. I am self-taught. On my recent trip to Tokyo I asked many people for help in my 'broken Japanese'. And the answers I recieved were given in english, broken english, or Japanese. What I loved was the look of delight when I would say, 'wakarimasu' and then repeat the key words that I understood

It's a good word.

(I also have a favorite phrase. "Koko wa doko.")

Immokalei 01-27-2010 04:58 AM

Mine has to be 'koneko' ^^

Tsuruneru 01-27-2010 08:32 AM

音楽 (おんがく) Music and ストレイテナー (Straightener).