JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#51 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-10-2010, 03:14 AM

I don't know if this is the same boat that is involved int "The Whale Wars" tv show, but if it is, that's nicer than they deserve. Honestly, they are lucky they dont have a Japanese Destroyer come over and sink thier dumb asses.

I'm not apposed to being against whaleing, but some of what they do is way against the grain, it's almost piracy. Japan should ask for American help, everyone knows how Obama handles pirates.
(#52 (permalink))
Old
discoiskinky (Offline)
JF Regular

01-10-2010, 06:43 AM

It was stated by someone earlier that the footage was aired on Japanese news quite a bit? Is there a general consensus on the topic from the people of Japan or is it a mixed option?

I personally think that both parties are ethically in the wrong. I believe the hunting of wales is unnecessary but i just as strongly believe that the actions taken by those vigilante groups are dangerous and ultimately will not effective.

Events like this unfortunately spark racist tension, and that is towards both Japanese and Australians.
(#53 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-10-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoiskinky View Post
It was stated by someone earlier that the footage was aired on Japanese news quite a bit? Is there a general consensus on the topic from the people of Japan or is it a mixed option?
I would say the general consensus is that Sea Shepard was in the wrong in this accident. The news presents the statements from Sea Shepard and from the Japanese side and just pretty much shows the footage. There is really little opinion presented over whose fault it is, but the footage is (in my opinion) pretty clear... And will be even more clear to the huge number of people in Japan involved with fishing or operating a sea vessel.

Honestly, I don`t really know anyone who thinks that whaling is the right thing to do, or who believes that it is necessary at all. Anyone Japanese who I have talked about the subject with really feel that the whole thing is silly and that there is no real reason to continue with the program. When meat was tested and it was found that more had been taken than was allowed, there was a ton of outrage IN Japan too. If there was more activism on this front, in actually monitoring without attacking - testing without stealing (as happened in the previous case...), etc - then there would be more people in Japan pushing to have the program put to an end. As it stands, Sea Shepard and the like have made their image so horrible that even the people in Japan who HATE whaling with a passion hesitate to speak out against it because they don`t want to be associated with that time of activist group...

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#54 (permalink))
Old
allhailhata (Offline)
JF Regular

01-10-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Honestly, I don`t really know anyone who thinks that whaling is the right thing to do, or who believes that it is necessary at all. Anyone Japanese who I have talked about the subject with really feel that the whole thing is silly and that there is no real reason to continue with the program.
At the same time most japanese don't think that whaling is the wrong thing to do at heart.They think whaling doesn't matter to them.
Maybe, Japanese who Nyororin have talked about the subject with didn't take it so seriously too. And japanese know Gaijin tend to be against whaling.
but,I can't know their true meaning,of course.

Thinking if there were no militant, more people in Japan would stand up for whales is maybe wrong.Japanese people are not so interested in Whaling .

btw,this thread seems calm enough to ask an essential question now.
I'm not interested in the collision now. I think ,as someone said already,there are many things we don't know now.Screaming "they are to blame!" with only watching a few short footage doesn't make any sense.

Why do you think whaling is the wrong thing to do?
I'm a cruel, barbaric japanese , not good at english and not more cleverer than whales.
So plese tell me as simple as you can in easy english.
(#55 (permalink))
Old
Barone1551 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-10-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allhailhata View Post
Why do you think whaling is the wrong thing to do?
I'm a cruel, barbaric japanese , not good at english and not more cleverer than whales.
So plese tell me as simple as you can in easy english.
I cant speak for everyone. But I think fishing or hunting anything till the point of extinction is wrong. I am not against eating whale or any animal for that matter. Every person has their own view of what is common to eat. I dont think anyone has the right to tell other people what is okay to eat and not okay to eat. But when certain species are becoming extinct, i think these type of events should be stopped.

The King wore a crown. Now he is the king of kings.
(#56 (permalink))
Old
allhailhata (Offline)
JF Regular

01-10-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barone1551 View Post
But I think fishing or hunting anything till the point of extinction is wrong. But when certain species are becoming extinct, i think these type of events should be stopped.
Thank you! I agree with you perfectly.I think most japanese agree with you.

next question
SEA SHEPHERD and their supporters think Minke whale's are becoming extinct.
In Japan’s Whale Research Program in the Antarctic,they are hunting mainly Minke whale.Although Minke whale is listed on IUCN red list, but their Conservation status is Least concern.Japan thinks Minke whale should not be listed because of lack of scienstic reason and have not accepted it.

If someone prove Minke whale's are not becoming extinct with scienstic reason,will SEA SHEPHERD and their supporters allow Whaling ?
Did they try to prove Minke whale's are becoming extinct, instead of attacking ?
How many whale is required to hunt them?
Is it a matter of number of whales ?

Last edited by allhailhata : 01-10-2010 at 10:10 PM.
(#57 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-11-2010, 03:25 AM

Allhailhata; I think in the case of the Sea Shepard, the folks there appose whaleing not so much based on extinction but more because they believe whales are sentinent beings.

Not sure if that's what you were looking for answer wise, guess it goes with the idea of Star Trek 4 as well, that movie also implied whales were sentinent.
(#58 (permalink))
Old
IamKira (Offline)
Sulfer + KClO3 + Cu(1)Cl

01-11-2010, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barone1551 View Post
I cant speak for everyone. But I think fishing or hunting anything till the point of extinction is wrong. I am not against eating whale or any animal for that matter. Every person has their own view of what is common to eat. I dont think anyone has the right to tell other people what is okay to eat and not okay to eat. But when certain species are becoming extinct, i think these type of events should be stopped.
well stated.. agreed
although, isn't there just a deep down gut reaction that says "damn that was awesome.. those nancy's got pwned!"? this always happens... part of me is thinking "yeah, that's not right" and a smaller part is thinking "awesome!"

IamKira
(#59 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-11-2010, 07:02 AM

I am curious about the term "hunting to the point of extinction". I don't think anyone, Japanese or not, would endorse hunting any species to the point of extinction.
(#60 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-11-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allhailhata View Post
At the same time most japanese don't think that whaling is the wrong thing to do at heart.They think whaling doesn't matter to them.
Maybe, Japanese who Nyororin have talked about the subject with didn't take it so seriously too. And japanese know Gaijin tend to be against whaling.
but,I can't know their true meaning,of course.
I doubt that it was an issue of not speaking true feelings about the matter because of my nationality. I have never brought the subject up or asked anyone about it... But it comes up with frequent news.
People don`t really care that much, and the greater majority really would likely not even notice let alone be upset if whale completely disappeared from the market.

Quote:
Thinking if there were no militant, more people in Japan would stand up for whales is maybe wrong.Japanese people are not so interested in Whaling .
All those Japanese I have met who have expressed a strong sentiment against whaling have explicitly said that they do not want to join any group against it or contribute to groups against whaling because they are all crazy - like Sea Shepard or the like. Those who really don`t care that much but feel it is unnecessary are also discouraged by the extremism of a lot of the groups.

I think this is where activist groups need to actually put forth their effort. If they could actually get the average Japanese to care and to think of whales as something on the same level as pandas or koalas... Or even poor seals who wander into the wrong harbor... There would be tons of groups IN Japan pushing to stop the whaling. As it stands, people don`t really care enough - even if they inherently think it is unnecessary - to stand AGAINST it. "Not necessary" is far from "bad" or "should not be done" in public minds.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.