LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-19-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsDaffy View Post
i dont argue about the deletion of images being instant.

but i think that there should be less post deletion.

i'm sure that MODs have the ability to edit other posts.

so perhaps that should be done instead of mass deletion.

example.

the best way to fly to japan is with JAL.
you can get an upgrade by saying x, y, and z
but there is no point going because japan is a ch1t hole and the people thier are all ignorant mofo's

instead of just deleting this post

perhaps just edit to.
the best way to fly to japan is with JAL
you can get an upgrade by saying x, y, and z
<mod edit> poster does not like Japan <edit>

i think that would be better
That is an awesome idea, but please understand I have been doing this for more than a week, and that MODS are not in the business of correcting people's posts to make them look less racist/ignorant. People that post the BS you use in your example tend to post in volume. Should I follow them around like a Manhattan dog-owner with my pooper-scooper and clean up every post?

That's not the job I accepted when I accepted the post of mod.

If that is what is expected of me, to be a "post-editor", then I will resign right now.

I feel like my job is to dump crap, and those that only want to post crap get the heave-ho.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
WhoIsDaffy (Offline)
Banned

01-19-2010, 11:22 AM

ok well what about just deleting the bits that are offensive?

im not saying that due to time and effort there is no place for deletions,

just that there is also a place for edits, and i think it would be nice to see

thats all
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-19-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
ok well what about just deleting the bits that are offensive?

im not saying that due to time and effort there is no place for deletions,

just that there is also a place for edits, and i think it would be nice to see

thats all
When I see "WhoIsDaffy" signing my paycheck as a mod on JF, then I will certainly take the time to pick apart posts and remove those things are offensive. Until then I work with a hammer and not with precision tweezers.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-19-2010, 11:56 AM

I had a bit of a laugh at this.

We`ve done similar things in the past... And the response was NOT good. Users prefer to edit their own messages or to reword things - not have a mod pick and choose what should and shouldn`t be said. It`s much much easier and ultimately gets a better user response for us to remove the post and tell the user why via pm so that they can reword or repost in a less offensive way.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Astley (Offline)
New to JF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
can't I post my own avatar?
I concure. id like to know how to choose my own avatar. But the selection is top notch (if u like anime ^^)

A cornered fox is more dangerous than a jackal
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-19-2010, 01:27 PM

Can all the "but I wanna have my own avatar~' people please raise their right hands and then smack their foreheads for not reading the FAQ. You don't get a custom avatar right away. That comes later.

@ Nyororin: THIS. Surely it's far worse to put words in people's mouths than just take down the post. I'd rather be told "change it or we'll take it down" or "Your post was violating the rules so we had to remove it," than return to my post to find someone's changed it around. It's got my username attached to it after-all.

If people want the freedom to go online and post whatever obscenities they want, to rant and swear and operate in a zone where the mods aren't concerned about keeping it clean for the younger viewers, then to the extent of my knowledge 4chan's still running. Or there's Gaijinpot. That's pretty lax on moderation and still all about Japan.

Can we also shift some of this into context. JF is a small internet forum. The mods are volunteers. This isn't a government, it's not run or sponsored by a government (I assume). Getting your posts kicked because they break the rules is hardly an infringement of your human rights.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Kakashi (Offline)
おやすみなさい

01-19-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
sorry double post.

just noticed.

the person who actually started the SPAMS/BANS/FLAMES thread.

has been banned - oh the irony.

this thread needs to go!
No, you just never knew kudo. He was a real joker and put Banned as his personal title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine
Can all the "but I wanna have my own avatar~' people please raise their right hands and then smack their foreheads for not reading the FAQ. You don't get a custom avatar right away. That comes later.
I've forgotten, how many posts do you have to have until you can have a custom avatar?

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be."
-Shel Silverstein

"Who told me dragons did not exist,
then led me to their lairs
...one flew east, one flew west,
One flew over the cuckoo's nest."

Last edited by Kakashi : 01-19-2010 at 06:19 PM.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-20-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi View Post
No, you just never knew kudo. He was a real joker and put Banned as his personal title.

I've forgotten, how many posts do you have to have until you can have a custom avatar?
I believe it's around 50 before you can get a custom avatar.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
clairebear (Offline)

01-20-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
I believe it's around 50 before you can get a custom avatar.
It's 25 actually.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

01-20-2010, 07:43 PM

JF seems like it's in a good state right now.
There are still moments when people clash heads, but that's generally the nature of discussion.

Regarding one of the suggestions made earlier...
It would be a waste of time and effort trying to decipher or even reword members' conveyed thoughts. A moderator would have to rely on their own interpretation of what is being said, which would lower it's accuracy significantly... especially if/when a large volatile debate occurs.

As for the issue of moderation being brought up, I don't think it's an "issue" at all -- though, I respect the attempt to think outside the box.

It's a considerably broad subject, and I'm probably going about it the wrong way, but ~
The way I see it, without moderation there are two alternative concepts: In this case, they are a virtual lack of life and a proneness to extremism. And, considering how the former defeats the purpose of even having a forum, the latter seems to be the only route left to imply..... And, frankly, when is extremism ever genuinely a good thing in the end? Moderation seems like the most forgiving island out of the three.

It was said that to censor language is to censor the mind.
That would suggest the significance of words and the affects they can have on people, leading me to address question of whether people can manipulate words to hurt people... which they can and do.
If such is the case, and a person is liable to being hurt by words, isn't it within the members' best interest if some form of language boundaries are implemented?

In my opinion, if anyone's to blame for the wrath of censorship, it's the people who decide to exploit it's absence... not the mods; not the rules.