JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Does your local grocery sell sushi? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/30568-does-your-local-grocery-sell-sushi.html)

Nyororin 02-24-2010 12:22 AM

Does your local grocery sell sushi?

Does your local grocery sell sushi? I have been hearing from various people in the US that there is sushi sold everywhere these days, so I am a bit curious. Back last time I visited, there was "sushi" in the way of canned tuna rolled up in rice and seaweed - but nothing more.

MMM 02-24-2010 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 801483)
Does your local grocery sell sushi? I have been hearing from various people in the US that there is sushi sold everywhere these days, so I am a bit curious. Back last time I visited, there was "sushi" in the way of canned tuna rolled up in rice and seaweed - but nothing more.

Yes, most of the grocery stores around me sell some form of sushi.

Generally is is made fresh in a special section of the deli, is made by an Asian person who is not Japanese, and it is inexpensive and pretty bland.

jesselt 02-24-2010 12:37 AM

We have a food Co-op that I'm sure sells Sushi, probably with both cooked and raw fish. The University I attend also has an "Asian" food place in the food court that makes their own fresh Sushi everyday. We also have a new Japanese restaurant that sells fresh Sushi that is beautifully decorated.

I'm a vegetarian so I cannot comment on the taste of any of them, and I didn't particularly like Sushi when I did eat fish either =/

allie2590 02-24-2010 12:38 AM

Yes, but it is not raw and not very good. My local store has started coating their sushi in way too many sesame seeds, so I just don't buy it anymore. I would rather put aside more time and more money and go to an actual sushi restaurant.

PockyMePink 02-24-2010 01:05 AM

My local grocery store hardly sells the basic food necessities. But I do know Kroger sells sushi, and I always have to make a special trip to the nearest one to get some whenever I'm out of town. By my standards, it's pretty damn good.

Undertherose25 02-24-2010 01:21 AM

Yep, they sell dumplings, kelp salad, sashimi and sushi cooked and raw.

minimin 02-24-2010 01:52 AM

Nope, but even if they did I wouldn't buy it from there. There are barely any Asian people here. Hardly anyone in my area cares about having good sushi. I always have to go to the next city over to get good sushi.

All there is, is the products used to make it here. I just go to the restaurant in Cordova, tn. :)

hitotsz 02-24-2010 02:18 AM

yes, it is kind of expensive though. it is probably a Korean franchise, seeing as the fish-less sushi have label on them 'kimbop' or (김밥).

also i noticed that a lot of sushi restaurants are done by Koreans.

manganimefan227 02-24-2010 03:16 AM

Kroger Sushi, California Rolls, Tempira, Dumplings, eel, tuna, maybe something unidentible, and spicy and cheese california rolls (What I call them)

They also sell Pocky (Chocolate and strawberry) and at anAisan market I can find Marashi dango!

Anybody know where you can find Taiyaki here in Texas? Preferrably Houston . . .It seems rare and as childish as it sounds Anime got me interested . . .

Sashimister 02-24-2010 03:37 AM

I don't mean to go off topic but I feel this whole "sushi craze" outside of Japan is essentially over-rated.

I've been talking to many people (mainly North Americans and some Europeans and non-Japan Asians) about the "sushi" they eat. So much of what is available as "sushi" outside of Japan, I wouldn't call as such as a Japanese person.

Canned tuna, hot pepper, hot sauce, cream cheese, long-grain rice, stir-fried vegetables, fruit, kimchee, etc...

Just leave sushi to the real fish lover for once! I really don't care what they like to eat. I just wish they didn't call everything that comes with cold rice "sushi".