JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

Which Majors? Interests? Dreams? - 03-02-2010, 05:21 PM

I'm planning on going to college within the next year or two, depending on my circumstances. I'm almost completely clueless on how things will work, so I've been doing some random research. During my search I always end up at the same question: What will your major be?

It's not really a question someone else can answer for me, so instead, I'd like to hear what you guys think. Those that haven't gone to college included.

What are your interests? In the future, what would you like to choose?
Or, What did you major in? What helped you decide which to choose?

Also... I have a lot of friends that have chosen Psychology as their majors. I've also heard a lot of other people say they've majored or intend on majoring in psychology. The thing is, I'm skeptical most of them have any genuine interest or appreciation for the study -- just the status of having studied it.

I'm not sure what to think of it. Has anyone else noticed something similar?

Last edited by Jaydelart : 03-02-2010 at 05:37 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
StormingWynn (Offline)
New to JF

03-02-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydelart View Post
I'm planning on going to college within the next year or two, depending on my circumstances. I'm almost completely clueless on how things will work, so I've been doing some random research. During my search I always end up at the same question: What will your major be?

It's not really a question someone else can answer for me, so instead, I'd like to hear what you guys think. Those that haven't gone to college included.

What are your interests? In the future, what would you like to choose?
Or, What did you major in? What helped you decide which to choose?

Also... I have a lot of friends that have chosen Psychology as their majors. I've also heard a lot of other people say they've majored or intend on majoring in psychology. The thing is, I'm skeptical most of them have any genuine interest or appreciation for the study -- just the status of having studied it.

I'm not sure what to think of it. Has anyone else noticed something similar?

My best advice is to wait until you complete your first two years of undergraduate work before deciding on a major because it'll be to late if you decide early. The reason why all students are required to take general education courses is because schools what students to gain a "breathe of interests." For example, I was set on majoring in Biology but after I took a Psychology course I've changed my major and who knows I might triple major along with Linguistics.

Psychology is a very interesting subject.

I made an essay for my composition class regarding this matter. If you want to read it I can send you a copy or post it on here.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

03-02-2010, 08:09 PM

That would be cool.
You can PM it or post it; whichever way you prefer. I'll give it a read.

Thanks for the advice.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
StormingWynn (Offline)
New to JF

03-02-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydelart View Post
That would be cool.
You can PM it or post it; whichever way you prefer. I'll give it a read.

Thanks for the advice.
It's a quick little essay, but I think it's relevant to your case.

Quote:
College’s Downfall: No Longer Serving Its Purpose

As I walk down the floors of Santa Monica College, I stand amazed at how many people I see, but I'm more amazed at how many different people I see. From White to Asian to Black. From Hispanic to Indian. People with wrecks for wheels to kids with Porsche's and Ferrari's. Geeks and nerds to jocks and cheerleaders. And from Catholic's to Muslim's to Buddhist’s. There are over 35,000 students attending that college at least part-time. It's not that you won’t find those types of people in other colleges and universities; it's the fact that I felt as if there was no minority group in that school. I for one believe that in today’s world where human interaction no longer has limits, it is essential for student body populations to be flooded with people of all socioeconomic backgrounds. So the question is whether the knowledge and skills that a college provides beneficial to individual students and the student population as a whole and give them not only educational knowledge, but also cultural knowledge and integration skills.

After having walked the halls of Santa Monica College, I knew that the purpose of a college or university was not only to provide students with a book education, but also with an education on life. As diverse as Los Angeles is, the people who inhabit it are “separated.” People tend to live in communities where they “fit” in and the truth was opposite for SMC. People seemed to interact with people outside their normal groups, as if it a competition to see who could get the most diverse group of friends. Of course there were people who hung out with people who were like them, but I saw more groups of friends who where different from one another. As Derek Bok, author of Our Underachieving Colleges, says, “some intellectuals worry whether a nation divided among so many ethnic and religious groups can hold together as a society and they look to universities to do their part in fostering tolerance and understanding” (74). Their worries are correct. In a nation with so much diversity, it's inevitable to see tension between groups. I guess that's the reason I saw Santa Monica College as a perfect example that tension between groups can be overcome.

With one worry set aside, another comes into play. Santa Monica College is one of the nation's top community colleges and it serves as the jumping point to many of the nation’s top 4-year universities like New York University, University of Southern California, University of California: Los Angeles and Berkeley. They have the highest transfer rates to these universities than any other community college. Why is Santa Monica College so successful at transferring many of its students to top universities? The day I visited the campus I walked around asking people what their major was and what their plans were after they graduated. More often than not, I heard the same response, “undecided” and “I don't know.” I was amazed to see so many students be undeclared in their major and no plan as the career path they wanted to take. I had already planned my entire future back in high school. One question overwhelmed me after hearing so many people repeat the same response. Was I setting myself up for failure by specializing so early? According to Kate Zernike, in her article Making College 'Relevant,' that's exactly right, “Even before they arrive on campus, student – and their parents – are increasingly focused on what comes after college” (par. 4), while this is exactly the opposite of what a student should be doing, “There's evidence, though, that employers also don't want students specializing too soon” (par. 21).

So, what gives? If specializing too soon isn't the answer for a better future, then what is? Why is it that an employer dislikes students who specialize too soon? The answer comes from Howard Gardner, author of the essay Beyond Markets and Individuals: A Focus on Educational Goals, he says that a college’s goal should be to “engage the major disciplinary ways of thinking – scientific, mathematical, historical, humanistic, and artistic” (108). Derek Bok would agree with Howard Gardner as he states that, “ Such a variety of interests brings many blessings. It can help avoid the dangers of excessive specialization by providing wider perspectives to enlighten judgment” ( 76). It is possible for a student who specializes early to become proficient in all those categories, but a student who does not specialize so soon is able to explore all those fields and redefine future goals with a broader sense of education. As Kate Zernike puts it, “The truth is students think too much about majors. But the major isn't nearly as important as the toolbox of skills you come out with and the experiences you have” (par. 29). Her statement is entirely true, communication and literacy skills among students have diminished throughout the generations and now more than ever is a higher demand for college graduates that posses a well rounded character that will benefit the workplace.

It's very evident that colleges no longer produce “quality” students as they did in years past. However, all is not to blame on the colleges. It's also the students fault, as they have failed to get the most out of a college experience. A college experience doesn't only include a major, but a social, cultural and as Bok says it “a breadth of interests.” I believe, as do the authors mentioned in this essay, that specializing too early is not so beneficial to most students. It's better to take it slow and explore as many subjects as possible. The role of college has to change as well. A college shouldn't just make available a multitude of courses to students, but encourage them to take a wide range of those courses. More involvement has to be made between students and their host college if the higher education in our country is to prosper. I'll play my role in becoming a well rounded individual, I have to if I want to become a doctor, but I'll do it because I want to.
I hope this helps.

Last edited by StormingWynn : 03-02-2010 at 08:21 PM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-02-2010, 09:20 PM

As a psych student let me just say everyone and their dog seems to do it nowadays and unless you are bent on taking it onto actual clinical work or research, it's pretty much going to be a waste of your time and money. If you are uncertain or don't have a particular vocation, try and find something that will give you practical employment opportunities once you graduate rather than just whatever seems popular.

So my point is, who gives a damn if 99% of your pals are thinking psychology is the way, do YOU have a genuine interest and drive in the subject? If not, forget it.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
03-02-2010, 09:50 PM

Hmmm, the comment "lots of people taking" is the first red flag when choosing a major. Columbine is right about psych and it really true about all fields. If your heart and soul aren't in it, its the wrong one.

Most universities do not require you to declare a major when you start - only after you are almost through all the non-degree specific courses everyone else has to take too.

I was considered rather odd because I went in with a declared major for my very first semester.... Theatre - technical and teaching focus - and it never changed. But you can change a major at any time. Its just not recommended when you are about to complete all the degree specific courses for graduation.

Relax a little and explore the entire catalog of courses. Talk to a few students who are well into their final studies in some areas you find interesting.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

03-02-2010, 10:05 PM

Ask in your school for a Vocational Assessment. (if they have one)

Vocational Assessment

If they don't have one, just search the internet for a "reliable" one.

This one, for example, ain't that bad - Vocational test

As for myself - I completed Biology. And i loved it.

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.

Last edited by JasonTakeshi : 03-02-2010 at 10:09 PM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

03-02-2010, 11:51 PM

I'm in my final year of Bachelors degree in Math and Physics. I have a superficial interest in these subjects, but unfortunately it doesn't go any deeper than that. I'm about to graduate this summer and I still don't know what I like! Many people don't find out what they like for a long, long time. So, my advise to you is, experiment a little, do some research. If you find something that you think you will enjoy, start reading up on it to see if you will enjoy it as you get more into it... if all this fails, then don't worry! I recommend you to do something you're good at. Math and Sciences in general have always made sense to me even though I didn't enjoy them. So this is why I've chosen this path.

You also have to keep something in mind; If you have a career in mind, then try to study the subject that will help you to get to that career. However, if you don't have a career in mind, you should realise that many employers are more concerned with your results at the end of your degree, rather than the subject/major you've chosen. Of course, I'm talking about jobs that don't require a certain degree like Medicine etc.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

03-03-2010, 12:20 AM

I started with a Music Education major, and stuck with it for two years. I liked the education part, but eating, sleeping, breathing music was too much for me. I enjoyed playing as a hobby. After two years, I realised that music was just a hobby.

If there was one thing I liked more than anything, it was writing, and helping others learn to communicate effectively. I transferred schools and changed my major to English instead of Music, and picked up an emphasis as a journalism student. I had a lot of fun, even got to interview Hillary Clinton! (I have pics, it happened).

And now I'm a JHS English teacher. Fairly straight forward I think.

The only interest I have that I am still working on going back to is driving warships. I love my job, but there's something about going to that ten year high school reunion and being able to say, "Oh me? What do I do? Well... I fight pirates off the coast of Africa!" Arr, Matey.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#10 (permalink))
Old
thcuteness (Offline)
Banned

03-03-2010, 12:21 AM

I personally want to attend 8 years of college. 4 years for Art, I hope to get accepted in to SCAD which is a school in the area i live, if not I either want to study in Califorina or Japan. I also want to do 4 years for Culinary Arts. I dont have any colleges in mind so if anyone has any suggestion im happy to hear them.

Last edited by thcuteness : 03-03-2010 at 12:30 AM.