JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

03-17-2010, 01:14 AM

Hm, maybe alot of different anime and manga to read? To get into it . . .

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
amandabenami (Offline)
JF Regular

03-17-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganimefan227 View Post
Hm, maybe alot of different anime and manga to read? To get into it . . .
i was also going to say that.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

03-17-2010, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandabenami View Post
i was also going to say that.
Yeah but you guys need to realize that all manga and anime are in Japanese here.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
星の翼

03-17-2010, 05:26 PM

Oh . . .I thought of that, I guess I thought there would be some subbed anime there for tourists XD

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-17-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Oh . . .I thought of that, I guess I thought there would be some subbed anime there for tourists XD
It is difficult to find English subtitled DVDs in Japan. If there were a market for it, they would exist, but there isn't.

Also keep in mind DVDs from Japan will not work in American players or players anywhere outside of Region 2 without a region-free player.

When thinking of graduation gifts, a basket of anime and manga is probably not the first thing to come to most Japanese people's minds.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Naedora (Offline)
JF Regular

03-17-2010, 08:43 PM

Since she is interested in Japanese culture why not get her a pretty poster of Japan or a kimono? xD
(#17 (permalink))
Old
星の翼

03-18-2010, 04:38 AM

A taiyaki-ki? Gives her a new Japanese food to try?

But . . .I'll live.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-18-2010, 04:46 AM

Quote:
A taiyaki-ki? Gives her a new Japanese food to try?
Your ideas are original. That is for sure.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-18-2010, 11:49 AM

If it's a graduation gift, it should be something that will last. After all the point of the gift is to celebrate her finishing her school career and she's only ever going to have one graduation.

Japan does some exceptionally beautiful glass like this: http://www.beadingtimes.com/artist03...ira34-1big.jpg which you can get in pendants in the price range you're talking about. I found it in a lot of shops in Kobe and in....shiga(?) prefecture where I went to a glass factory. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find it in Tokyo. It would also ship easily.

Otherwise something she could take on with her when she moves out of home for good/starts working full-time. Maybe a high-end print if she likes art, or a really good chef's knife if she likes cooking. My sister got a lamp for her graduation. Lacquer ware is hardy to ship and beautiful. A little box or plate or something might make a good gift as it can be both decorative and practical.

Or you could get something connected to her studies; my cousins studied medicine and architecture respectively; one got a custom stethoscope (sparkly and pink. she works in pediatrics now and the kids love it) and the other got a set of drafting tools with his name on them. I got a set of sushi plates and a dictionary.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
amandabenami (Offline)
JF Regular

03-19-2010, 01:39 AM

how do you call japanese phones? keitai? is that it, i've seen a lot of nice keitai's and some of them are unlocked which means you can use the phone with your local sim. i think that would be a nice idea. what do you think. speaking of keitais can you give me online sites where i can order jap phones, sites that are accepting international shipping, aside from rakuten can you name some more.