JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Sitron (Offline)
Banned

Virginity in Japan - 04-07-2010, 05:53 PM

I'm a 24 year old virgin. Never even kissed. Here in Norway, this is in no way normal. But what about Japan, would it be normal if someone, including women, were an unkissed virgin at way past 20?

If you know anything about how it is in China, Korea, or any other SE country feel free to give your input.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Shanis (Offline)
Going to be someone

Send a message via MSN to Shanis
04-07-2010, 06:12 PM

Hi, I'm only 19 but same problem here xD In Germany it isn't normal, many have at least kissed some1 of the opposite gender :/ But I'm not sure wether it's normal in Japan or not But I know there is a street, in Tokyo I think, where girls and young women walk through and boys are standing at the side and watch them, if they like a women they talk to her and maybe date her, just as a little excursus

When do you think people die?

When they are shot through the heart by the bullet of a pistol?
No.

When they are ravaged by an incurable disease?
No.

When they drink a soup made from a poisonous mushroom?
No!

It's when... they are forgotten.

~Dr. Hiluluk - One Piece

Last edited by Shanis : 04-07-2010 at 06:19 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-07-2010, 09:17 PM

I wouldn't say that it's normal but I don't think it's uncommon, especially for men.

Men are expected to conform to the regular routine of getting into a good university, getting a good job, etc. Some of them take it so seriously that they end up lacking the social skills to interact with the opposite sex. Especially in a place like Tokyo where everyone seems to live their life with a pair of blinders.

One of my friends was a hostess and she mentioned that many of her clients were men who were actually afraid of talking to women and resorted to hostess clubs since they were much more accommodating.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-08-2010, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitron View Post
I'm a 24 year old virgin. Never even kissed. Here in Norway, this is in no way normal. But what about Japan, would it be normal if someone, including women, were an unkissed virgin at way past 20?

If you know anything about how it is in China, Korea, or any other SE country feel free to give your input.
One of my past Japanese girlfriends was a 25 year old virgin, and she was pretty too.. well maybe I am being biased haha. I think her thing was she just never felt comfortable enough with anybody to have sex with them.

I would not say it is strange, but I would imagine most socially adjusted Japanese have had their first sexual experience by the time they leave college, or probably soon after.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-08-2010, 01:31 AM

Quote:

It is about as unusual in Japan as it is in Norway.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-08-2010, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanis View Post
But I know there is a street, in Tokyo I think, where girls and young women walk through and boys are standing at the side and watch them, if they like a women they talk to her and maybe date her, just as a little excursus
I have lived in Tokyo for 10 years have never heard of this. I very much doubt that there is such a place, unless the "girls" are prostitutes and it's actually Kabuki-cho.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
NishiHime (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-08-2010, 01:52 AM

It's definitely normal in India (South India) - because of the close family ties, the fact you live with your family until marriage, most everyone waits until marriage. Even if they go off to college, many never-been-kissed virgins past 20 are normal.

~~Member of JapanForum Royal Clan of Gods & Goddesses~~
http://www.nishimusic.com
Webmistress of UsagiandMamoru.com, MiakaandTamahome.com, MaxLovely.com, PrincessIshtar.com, ArwenandAragorn.com

(#8 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-08-2010, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasi View Post
I have lived in Tokyo for 10 years have never heard of this. I very much doubt that there is such a place, unless the "girls" are prostitutes and it's actually Kabuki-cho.
I think he's confusing it with the ebisu/hikkake-bashi in Osaka.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
berrypie (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Skype™ to berrypie
04-08-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:

In Canada it's uncommon even among Asians, so I think it's uncommon in Japan too? Well, but it really depends. However, I would like to say you shouldn't think too much about it otherwise you will be pretty down.

Generally, if one is "lucky" enough she will meet her husband-to-be and fall in love with him in college, then get married within a few years if everything goes smooth. In conclusion, a 24-year-old virgin not even have kisses before may be considered uncommon. However, everyone has his/her own fate. I am sure there are many girls like you everywhere. I would say it's uncommon but it's absolutely not abnormal.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-08-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
I think he's confusing it with the ebisu/hikkake-bashi in Osaka.
I think so, too. And that is what is called "Nampa Bashi" but those guy pursuing the girls are "hosts" or employees of "host bars" and the laws recently changed about their freedom to pursue women walking down the street.