JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Sitron (Offline)
Banned

What happened to Japan? - 06-06-2010, 10:11 AM

Back in the 90s Japanese goods used to be "in". Now everyone thing cool that's not from North America is either Taiwanese or Korean. If I want a good and somewhat cheap computer or laptop I buy Asus or maybe even Acer (both from Taiwan) - if I want a cool cell phone I'll either go with HTC (Taiwan) or maybe even Samsung (Korea). Japanese cell phones are a freaking joke. They look so outdated. And everything from computers to screens that are made by Japanese companies I can get just as good (if not better) cheaper from Taiwanese and Korean companies?

WTF happened to Japanese innovation?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Marko (Offline)
New to JF

06-06-2010, 10:15 AM

Because Korea and Taiwan builds technology at under-cut prices for "wear and tear", nobody seems to like stuff that costs more but actually mangages to stay in one piece for more then a year.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-06-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitron View Post

WTF happened to Japanese innovation?
What does making stuff have to do with innovation?

What kind of innovation is Japanese innovation? Is it different to any other kind of innovation?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sitron (Offline)
Banned

06-06-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
What does making stuff have to do with innovation?

What kind of innovation is Japanese innovation? Is it different to any other kind of innovation?
Your face.

I'm talking about technological innovation, a field where Japanese companies used to be America's equals.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-06-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Your face.

I'm talking about technological innovation, a field where Japanese companies used to be America's equals.
I am playing Tekken 6 on my PS3 on a Sony HDTV and am wondering what in the world you are talking about.

I can't think of anything in my house that is from Taiwan or Korea (besides a few manhwa). I guess you are seeing a "revolution" I am not seeing.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

06-06-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I am playing Tekken 6 on my PS3 on a Sony HDTV and am wondering what in the world you are talking about.

I can't think of anything in my house that is from Taiwan or Korea (besides a few manhwa). I guess you are seeing a "revolution" I am not seeing.
Come on, MMM. You're being as pedantic as Ronin here! I think you know what he means! He's not saying companies like Sony don't exist anymore, but for example, on the subject of TV's, the first LED TV's to go on mass sale were made by Samsung, a Korean company, where as a decade or so ago, you'd expect someone like Sony to be the first to sell it!

With that said, I think the op should be talking about development! Because the first LED tv's WERE made by Sony, they just didn't get the first huge sales of this new technology!

EDIT; also, 3D LED TV's! LG are the first to release this. There does seem to be a shift in innovation from Japan toward Korea!

Last edited by noodle : 06-06-2010 at 04:37 PM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Sitron (Offline)
Banned

06-06-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:

Maybe it's just here in Norway then. Sony is almost invisible here, besides the joint venture with Ericsson (Sony Ericsson) which makes cheap cellphones which are barely talked about in the media. And I've seen only a handful Sony Waios around at campus (but loads and loads of Acer and Asus-laptops, and Macs of course). HTC cellphones have also gotten really big here the past two years, and especially this year with the launch of high-end smartphones.

Our electronic stores usually have a lot more models from Samsung than Sony and Panasonic combined, then there's LG which is quite big in the TV monitor market. And Acer is the worlds biggest computer manufacturer.

I'm not saying Japan doesn't produce anything worthwhile anymore, my point is that companies from Japan seems to have lost a lot of the innovative edge they used to have, and a lot of the market share and market presence from back in the 90's (and probably 80s from what I see in my family's photo albums).
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-06-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Maybe it's just here in Norway then. Sony is almost invisible here, besides the joint venture with Ericsson (Sony Ericsson) which makes cheap cellphones which are barely talked about in the media. And I've seen only a handful Sony Waios around at campus (but loads and loads of Acer and Asus-laptops, and Macs of course). HTC cellphones have also gotten really big here the past two years, and especially this year with the launch of high-end smartphones.

Our electronic stores usually have a lot more models from Samsung than Sony and Panasonic combined, then there's LG which is quite big in the TV monitor market. And Acer is the worlds biggest computer manufacturer.

I'm not saying Japan doesn't produce anything worthwhile anymore, my point is that companies from Japan seems to have lost a lot of the innovative edge they used to have, and a lot of the market share and market presence from back in the 90's (and probably 80s from what I see in my family's photo albums).
We really don't see that in this part of the US where I live...I can't say if it is just Norway or not.

Sony is still one of the leaders in HD tech here, along with Panasonic. Samsung exists, but isn't as strong. Never heard of HTC or Acer...
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Sitron (Offline)
Banned

06-06-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
We really don't see that in this part of the US where I live...I can't say if it is just Norway or not.

Sony is still one of the leaders in HD tech here, along with Panasonic. Samsung exists, but isn't as strong. Never heard of HTC or Acer...
Wow! Shows how much Europe (or at least Scandinavia) differs from the US.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

06-06-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:

You've never heard of Acer or HTC? Wow, I really need to visit the US soon! I never imagine life and consumer electronics being that different to Europe! I guess I was wrong, because HTC and especially Acer are huge in this part of the world! As for TV's, Sony and Panasonic are known to be VERY expensive, so most middle class members of society would go for something like Samsung or LG!