LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-12-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
This movie is stupid and will never reach the right people.
Have you seen the movie?

Who are the "right people"?

Quote:
The movie is obviously a dramatization geared towards a western audience, and many Japanese people will probably never see the video, nor would they really care to as it's not in their demographic.
I doubt a dramatization would have won Best Documentary awards.

Don't you think the Japanese people who do care to see it should have the right to?

Quote:
All that's going to come of this is new fuel for western tree huggers to say things like "Those damn Japanese!," while continuing to sit behind a computer monitor and never even partake in any of these social commentaries. Now all we've got is a bunch of Japanese nationalists who take the side that all this video is is a bunch of foreigners breaking laws and slandering an industry, with the intention of shedding light on a group of people (westerners) who aren't the ones who can even solve the problem.
Already it has brought awareness about dolphin slaughter that people even in Taiji were not aware of and many are not happy about. For that alone I think the movie has achieved its goal, despite your complaints.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
fluffy0000 (Offline)
FJ to JF

again sorta not - 06-13-2010, 03:15 PM

Unless you've been hiding under a rock this film has already been released to DVD'.
The documentary won the U.S. Audience Award at the 25th annual Sundance Film Festival in January 2009. It was selected out of the 879 submissions in the category. On March 7, 2010 The Cove won the Academy Award for Best Documentary Film at the 82nd Academy Awards.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

06-13-2010, 10:28 PM

I loved that documentary.

Dolphin is yummy.

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

06-14-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTakeshi View Post
I loved that documentary.

Dolphin is yummy.
Paradox~

Just out of curiosity (I'm a bunny, it won't kill me ), what's with this sudden forum hype of large scale large fish slaughtering?

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
spoonybard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-14-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganimefan227 View Post
Just out of curiosity (I'm a bunny, it won't kill me ), what's with this sudden forum hype of large scale large fish slaughtering?
I know, right? This has been going on for a LONG(understatement) time. Why is it that people have decided to bring these things up now? <_<And sadly, most of the people that respond to these tend to be part of two extremes; one that is appalled by it to the extreme and making us wonder why they joined the forum(because they are obviously trolls), and the other extreme is the one that follows a country blindly. As expected, neither of these groups have the capacity to justify their opinions because they have nothing to back them up with. As usual, Ronin4Hire seems to be the only one who knows what he's talking about. >_>

I love Japan, but I don't really know much about the hunting issues, and I don't live there, so IF I had anything to say, it wouldn't matter because it isn't something that affects me anyway. But if you're going to bother posting about it, make an effort to justify yourself, and don't be part of the "Japan is amazing, you're stupid" extreme.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

06-14-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganimefan227 View Post
Paradox~

No, not a paradox. I loved it because the dophins were being killed.

And that makes the "save the whales" movement pissed. Having someone watching dolphin gore and enjoying it.

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.

Last edited by JasonTakeshi : 06-15-2010 at 12:08 AM.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-05-2010, 01:18 PM

The movie opened the other day. Not without incident though but I suppose its a victory for the good guys.

YouTube - Japanese Nationalist Protest the Release of The Cove

Protests, police at Japan opening of The Cove | Reuters
(#18 (permalink))
Old
kingindou (Offline)
New to JF

07-05-2010, 02:50 PM

Dolphin hunt film never be important than human hunt film.Why don't they go to
Palestine or Afghanistan?
Why don't they save the people? They are sentient beings
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I doubt a dramatization would have won Best Documentary awards.
Members of the academy were pure children.
They just made a safer decision. Dolphin hunt film doesn't make someone angry in US.different from "Food, Inc."
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-19-2010, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonybard View Post
I know, right? This has been going on for a LONG(understatement) time. Why is it that people have decided to bring these things up now? <_<
I'd say it's because of the show 'Whale Wars' that's been broadcast in the UK and USA (and I assume some other countries).

Apparently it was a huge hit and brought many people's attention to the issues. I think that's where the sudden surge of anti-whaling people have come from.
I believe the shows being renewed for it's 3rd or 4th season (forgot which) which'll be broadcast around summertime in the USA.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

12-19-2010, 08:29 AM

lol. whale wars - such a piece of s***t.

you know that creator of the show - that dude with white beard - he actually faked being shot just to boost ratings.i remember seeing the ads where - yea, action, everything happens and then screaming - captain has been shot.of course he wasn't. and i love how they rush to the scene and then..........do nothing. just talk.

btw..southpark made nice pardoy of them:southparkstudios.com/whalewhores

P.S ronin. going on a rampage again how "self aware" animals are so precious ? i love environmental nut jobs who have the balls and don't have brains to see how fuc**g hypocritical their views are when it comes to life we should protect and then what we shouldn't. typical white people win/win situation like always - gets to eat his burger and then mentally masturbate by feeling like a hero who does smth "noble".