JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
lilsgeru (Offline)
New to JF

Do Japanese guys pay for meals/outings for female friends? - 06-14-2010, 03:33 PM

I was wondering if it's common for Japanese guys to treat friends that are girls (not gf), ie. just to be gentlemanly, or does everyone go dutch?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-14-2010, 04:17 PM

Smart ones pay the bill.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
RazerKill (Offline)
-=New Roots=-

06-14-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsgeru View Post
I was wondering if it's common for Japanese guys to treat friends that are girls (not gf), ie. just to be gentlemanly, or does everyone go dutch?
"go dutch?" rightt like all u ppl are any different
rabble rabble flame flame* offended mode on

proud member of the ramen club XD

http://new-roots.com
(#4 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

06-14-2010, 07:32 PM

21st century.

Unless you have sh*t loads of money.

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-14-2010, 08:14 PM

Dating is a way of wooing a potential mate. If you are just interested in friendship, then ask her to split the bill with you. Trust me, you will never be more than friends.

However, if you are interested in a serious relationship, the tradition of a man taking a woman out on date still stands.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Maylar (Offline)
New to JF

06-14-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Dating is a way of wooing a potential mate. If you are just interested in friendship, then ask her to split the bill with you. Trust me, you will never be more than friends.

However, if you are interested in a serious relationship, the tradition of a man taking a woman out on date still stands.
I'm curious. Is there a point where the female is expected to at least help out, or is the guy always expected to pay the bill? I only ask because here, if the female doesn't offer to help pay at least some of the meals, it starts to be seen as she is greedy.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts." ~Richard Feynman
(#7 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
06-14-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:

Yeah, that is usually true, though for me its often tempered by knowing what the guy can truly afford. There are friends that always pay my way when we are out, regardles of who extended the invitation, and they would be offended if I offered to contribute. But my closest (male) friend cannot afford both of our appetites for sushi and I would never allow him to pay the entire bill.

I would suggest that most women expect the man to cover all expenses on a date, unless it has been made explicitly clear otherwise.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

06-14-2010, 08:33 PM

Like Maylar said,

Are you people saying that all women are so greedy that they'd dump a guy if he could not pay the whole bill every time?

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Unknown (Offline)
The Darkness

06-14-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:

True and it also makes the guy look cheap if he does not pay

Feel My Intent
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-14-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganimefan227 View Post
Like Maylar said,

Are you people saying that all women are so greedy that they'd dump a guy if he could not pay the whole bill every time?
It's called a "dating ritual". Paying the bill is the man's way of saying "I can support you financially." In turn, when possible, the woman is expected to cook meals for her man when appropriate. This could be a dinner at his house or her house, or could be a picnic or bento lunch as they go to on a hike or to an amusement park.

This is the woman's way of saying "I will keep you well fed."

It is a two-way street, and has nothing to do with "being greedy".