JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

AU Pairs or Nannies? - 07-29-2010, 11:59 AM

I wonder if Japanese families employ mothers help( Nannies or AU Pairs.)
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

07-29-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
I wonder if Japanese families employ mothers help( Nannies or AU Pairs.)
I think it's less common; there's more stay at home mothers in Japan so I don't think there's a huge demand for nannies. Googling tells me there's no major au pair program (ie for Visa purposes), and I suspect much of the demand that there is, is from non-japanese expats and bi-cultural families.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-29-2010, 03:14 PM

Japan has a fair amount of stigma attached to having your child watched by someone outside the family. People just don`t do it. Sure there is some informal "keeping an eye on" by neighbors and the like - but paying someone to watch your kids is pretty much unheard of.

Either family watches them, they go to a nursery/preschool, or... Well, that`s about it. Nannies and Au pairs are rare enough to be unknown.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

07-29-2010, 10:34 PM

thats very interesting indeed. I don't know how many couples with children could survive here if they did not take au pairs. Or Nannies if you can afford them. But of course there are lots of nurseries and preschool groups but all very expensive. Of course here in UK also often grandparents do help out alot, but they should not be expected to do it all the time. What age do children start school or are there preschool groups in Japan?

In many ways the au pair system is a good way for young women in particular to go to another country and help learn the language as they work.

thanks again for info.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

07-30-2010, 05:04 AM

Quote:
What age do children start school or are there preschool groups in Japan?
Mandatory schooling starts at 6. Preschool/Kindergarten starts at 3. Nursery starts as early as 2 months. It`s usually timed so that mothers can send their babies to nursery as soon as the shortest maternity leave ends.

(#6 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

07-30-2010, 03:26 PM

thanks again Nyorin. I noticed in a previous post of yours that schooling has to be paid for and high cost of nurseries.kindergarten etc.

We pay for our schools via our taxes, and there is supposed to be free nursery places, but I think they are few and far between. Of course there are private or so called Public schools that have high costs. There are child minders who for a fee will look after children.

Many girls travel the world as Mothers Help or au pairs, but I believe conditions sometimes can be awful.

Our daughter had an au pair when her three children were young. A lovely girl from the Chech republic stayed for quite a while.

Costs of living here also means couples have to work to survive and to pay the rent or high mortgages.

It is good if a parent can stay at home-- especially when the child is young, but most go to nursery school very young. Life here is very different from when I was young when most mothers did stay at home, but most could not afford it nowadays.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

07-30-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
thanks again Nyorin. I noticed in a previous post of yours that schooling has to be paid for and high cost of nurseries.kindergarten etc.
Nurseries and preschools are generally government run, and are subsidized based upon your income. The higher your income bracket - the more you pay. For single mothers with very low incomes, they will often arrange housing very close to the nursery/preschool... All subsidized. But a double income household with a high income will have to pay an arm and a leg.

Kindergartens are private 90% of the time. I hear there are public kindergartens, but have yet to see one. There are none near here - either way the cost doesn`t seem to change much. They are a flat fee - much more than you would pay at a preschool if you have a very low income, but much less than if you have a high income. (For example in this area preschool for 3+ is 4000yen/month for the low income bracket and 70,000/month for the top income bracket. Kindergarten is 33,000/month regardless of income.)

Preschools are geared toward working parents, with a focus on life skills and the like - sort of taking the place of a part of parenting. Kindergarten is aimed more toward families with a stay-at-home parent to teach the life skills - focusing more on intellectual stimulation and academic things. (Not that they "study", but more that instead of spending half the time on basic life skills like washing hands, brushing teeth, chopsticks, etc etc... They spend the time in guided play and being introduced to letters, numbers, etc.)

Elementary school and middle school is paid for by taxes. There is no cost for the educational side of it - only for the materials and lunch. Of course, there are high priced privately run elementary schools and middle schools - but they are the exception.

High school is all private and quite expensive in most cases.